climbing vs. hiking

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:34 am

Yeah, I just took an aspirin for a headache, because I was on this "tortured thread" too long!

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:57 am

MarthaP wrote:
lcarreau wrote:"Mountaineering" is considered going off the beaten track, and CLIMBING any mountain above 7,000 feet. It's usually when you have to "scramble" over rocks or permanent icefields.

Magoo, are you on drugs? Where do you come up with this crap? :roll:

You took the bait.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:19 am

I love dry humor, YOU love dry humor, we ALL love dry humor !!!

:roll: :D :D :D :D :roll:

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:22 am

MoapaPk wrote:
MarthaP wrote:
lcarreau wrote:"Mountaineering" is considered going off the beaten track, and CLIMBING any mountain above 7,000 feet. It's usually when you have to "scramble" over rocks or permanent icefields.

Magoo, are you on drugs? Where do you come up with this crap? :roll:

You took the bait.

GROOOOAAAAAAANNNN!!!!!!!! :(

yatsek

by yatsek » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:13 am

lcarreau wrote:I love dry humor, YOU love dry humor, we ALL love dry humor !!!

:roll: :D :D :D :D :roll:

You come from a real DRY and RATTLED chunk of the world. Over here we prefer PEACE and BEER. 8)

yatsek

by yatsek » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:49 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:I hiked and climbed 3, no, 4 peaks.
I'm a climber. I climb things. Sorry about that.
DMT

I'm on the wrong side of the pond. I normallly wear pants and trousers at the same time. I'm a hiker, or maybe hill-walker, I never climbed anything harder than UIAA4+/US5.6, and I don't really wish I had. :oops: I am dreadfully sorry.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:40 pm

If I crawl or walk on all four's to Mt. Sunflower can I consider that climbing since I'm using my hands?

TheOrglingLlama

by TheOrglingLlama » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:52 pm

MarthaP wrote:are you on drugs?

and if so, can I have some ? :mrgreen:

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:49 pm

Climbing is what I'm doing when I'm enjoying myself in the highcountry and not worrying about semantics.

Climbing is what I do in the mountains, how I recharge my batteries every weekend, when I'm out in the high peaks and not letting anyone else define my hobby for me. :D

yatsek

by yatsek » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:25 pm

sarah.simon wrote:Climbing is what I'm doing when I'm enjoying myself in the highcountry and not worrying about semantics.

Climbing is what I do in the mountains, how I recharge my batteries every weekend, when I'm out in the high peaks and not letting anyone else define my hobby for me. :D

Could some native speakers of (American) English please help me define (in AE) my hobby for me? The problem is that if I call myself a climber – not actually having done much over US grade 5.1 recently, not normally using a rope – people tend to think my hobby is "technical" climbing and I'm able to do things like 5.7 at least. That's why I prefer to say I'm a scrambler (and a hiker). Do you think this is good communication?

yatsek

by yatsek » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:45 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:To me? That's climbing. If you want the full value of that climb, do it alone. It will take skill AND stones to hike up that ridge.
DMT

To me? You had a wonderful day. I hope you have many more days like that.

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:17 pm

yatsek wrote:Could some native speakers of (American) English please help me define (in AE) my hobby for me? The problem is that if I call myself a climber – not actually having done much over US grade 5.1 recently, not normally using a rope – people tend to think my hobby is "technical" climbing and I'm able to do things like 5.7 at least. That's why I prefer to say I'm a scrambler (and a hiker). Do you think this is good communication?

I don't think it matters what you call yourself. Or what anyone else calls you. You are you, and nobody else :)

If you want to say that you sometimes climb, then this of course is a very fuzzy term with multiple meanings. And it depends on your intended audience -- if you are talking to a cutie whom you want to impress, then say you are a climber and don't go into details.

If you are talking to a friend who wants to do such and such a route which you have just done, then you should probably be a bit more specific. Like what was the rating, and if you recommend any specific equipment. There's a reason SP route pages are structured the way they are .. it's to communicate necessary information.

The rest of it is just hot air :) Speaking of which -- wow, this thread got to 9 pages while I was out for the weekend -- good job everyone ! :mrgreen:

yatsek

by yatsek » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:06 pm

rhyang wrote: it depends on your intended audience -- if you are talking to a cutie whom you want to impress, then say you are a climber and don't go into details.

Thanks for your reply, help in my search of myself :) , and above all the above advice, which I'll try and remember and put into use in about a decade when I've forgotten the details :D

pyerger

thanks

by pyerger » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:38 pm

thanks to all of you that tried to answer the question.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:44 pm

thoth wrote:
Gary Schenk wrote:If at some point you're higher than when you started, you climbed.

Semantic silliness.

which is the point of this entire thread...

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander