climbing vs. hiking

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Mark Doiron

by Mark Doiron » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:45 pm

What, this thread has set five hours without comment? Well, let me address that shortfall ...

Was just browsing my copy of Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills. While I did not come across definitions of mountaineering, climbing or hiking, it's quite obvious from just browsing the general language in the text that mountaineering is the business of getting to the top of a summit. There's no quibbling over whether it's "climbed," "hiked" or "walked" (which term is actually used as one way to reach the summit of a mountain).

--mark d.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:35 pm

sarah.simon wrote:Climbing is what I do in the mountains, how I recharge my batteries every weekend, when I'm out in the high peaks and not letting anyone else define my hobby for me. :D

Nine pages of people showing their feelings? Is that a first on SP's forum pages ???

I've had people who like to take pictures of natural objects call it a "hobby."

For me, it's a way to keep in shape, and I particularly don't see why we need other people

around to define our hobbies for us, because that's just hot air bouncing off of mountains.

yatsek

by yatsek » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:27 pm

lcarreau wrote:Nine pages of people showing their feelings? Is that a first on SP's forum pages ???

Yet another DRY line that makes me see RED. I think I'd rather see a fellow sasquatch again. :lol:

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:34 am

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:30 am

Climbing is what any reporter in Denver calls getting out of the chair and moving.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:48 am

Good point, D,

I'm pretty upset that the recent death of a local climbing guide was so misreported. So many questions arose to those who understand climbing. How must the family feel? How do friends react to the bad information? Does the press have ANY sort of conscience?

It blows me away that people buy into this crap.

Bombchaser

by Bombchaser » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:13 am

If I reach the summit of a mountian or high point I say I climbed it. Some mountains are real climbs, and many are more hiking, or a combination of both. But if it's a summit it is easier to just say I climbed it. Mountianeering is both hiking and climbing, depends on how a person looks at it i guess.

FabienenCordoba

by FabienenCordoba » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:34 am

A famouse French alpinist (I don't remenber which one) said that "alpinism starts when you need to twist your ankles to walk straight". I guess that could set the (lower) limit between "climbing" and "walking".

dan2see

by dan2see » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:55 pm

mconnell wrote:
thoth wrote:
Gary Schenk wrote:If at some point you're higher than when you started, you climbed.

Semantic silliness.

which is the point of this entire thread...

All the focus on words makes this topic sound pretty silly. But other social communities do the same thing. So a group can split into factions. For example programmers split into Java, DB, Linux, etc each with its own special activities and jargon. Another example, music lovers split into rock, industrial rock, hip hop, country, etc :cry:

As humans, we love to classify. We do it because it helps us to focus our own activities and values. :twisted:

Personally, I understand the semantics, I get the point, and I do it sometimes.

But I play in the Rocky Mountains. The terrain is so varied here, I can do every one of those climb-related activities during the course of a single outing. When I get home, I feel good about the total experience, not just the 20 feet between some rock and another hard place.
I claim this because I might take along a variety of gear: for example, crampons, gaiters, hiking pole, approach shoes, camp stove, GPS -- and use them all.

You might think I'm trying to show how I'm inter-disciplinary. But I think I'm having fun. 8)

Mark Straub

by Mark Straub » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:14 pm

Right now, I consider it climbing if it is class 4-5, or you are on a glacier with any crevasses, or if you are using protection. If you need to place protection, it's a climb.

Of course, my views will change in a year. I am still relatively new to the world of "climbing".

-Mark

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:34 pm

Mark Straub wrote:Right now, I consider it climbing if it is class 4-5, or you are on a glacier with any crevasses, or if you are using protection. If you need to place protection, it's a climb.

Of course, my views will change in a year. I am still relatively new to the world of "climbing".

-Mark

I think a lot of the definition comes down to comfort in the terrain. A friend who has done a lot of CO peak-bagging up to (CO) class 4 definitely considered this "climbing". It's the (CA) easy class 3 (or maybe hard class 2) chute from Sam Mack meadow up to the Palisade Basin:

My brother from the east coast, who's hiked a lot but never been on a long talus slog, definitely considered Mt. Aggassiz (class 2) to be climbing:

TheOrglingLlama

by TheOrglingLlama » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:49 pm

I call everything

Llama Trekking ! :mrgreen:

Gak Icenberg

by Gak Icenberg » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:43 am

TheOrglingLlama wrote:I call everything

Llama Trekking ! :mrgreen:
"MROOF" :shock:

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:08 pm

MikeTX wrote:if you're just into hiking you don't have to worry about all that silly narcisistic FA drama BS.

No, you just have to endure the endless discussion about whether summit registers are important historical documents or ugly trash.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:32 pm

Bob Burd wrote:
MikeTX wrote:if you're just into hiking you don't have to worry about all that silly narcisistic FA drama BS.

No, you just have to endure the endless discussion about whether summit registers are important historical documents or ugly trash.

good one.
:wink:

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander