Ongoing Utah Mountaineering Thread: Fall 2009

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
tmtn93

by tmtn93 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:38 am

nice pictures guys, I really like the photos of Mount Nebo.

Travis Atwood

by Travis Atwood » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:11 am

Nice work you guys! Those photos are nice!

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:20 am

Wasatchvoyage - thanks for the great pics of Nebo! I've been thinking recently about trying to climb either of the two main E Face ridges shown in your first and last photo as a winter snow climb. Approach from the south doesn't seem to bad if this is done as a Fri-Sat/Sun climb, and I wonder how small those cliff bands get with deeper snow?

Is anyone interested in scoping this out with me when I'm in town over the Christmas holidays, snow conditions permitting?

Bignick

by Bignick » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:52 am

Very nice pics to all that have posted here. After years of hiking the Wasatch, I still experience sensory overload on nearly every hike or climb I do. I find the mountains to be truly amazing and have since the first time I hiked the north face of Mt. Olympus with a friend 48 years ago. Of course as a couple of 12 year olds hiking alone, we didnt get very far, usually to the mine at the end of the Z trail below the west butress. Starting from home just above Wasatch Blvd. this was about a 4+ mile round trip. A long way to carry the army canvas backpack with the oak frame and steel canteen.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:19 am

Bignick wrote:Very nice pics to all that have posted here. After years of hiking the Wasatch, I still experience sensory overload on nearly every hike or climb I do. I find the mountains to be truly amazing

EastcoastMike

by EastcoastMike » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:58 pm

Great pics in this thread, really makes me want to move to Utah!

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:36 pm

Wasatchvoyage - once again, thanks for sharing your excellent photos from your mountain rompings :D

I'm not sure where the south end of the Nebo road closes, but even if it's closed at the highway, travel is easy and fast enough following the road up the canyon (plus there is very little elevation gain) that an approach should be pretty fast and reasonable if done on a Friday for a Saturday climb, especially if it were done on skiis.

I'm going to be in Salt Lake City from Christmas through the Sunday after New Years, so if conditions are good to get out, I'd love to meet more of the Utah SPers! I have a lot of ideas of things I want to do as winter climbs, conditions permitting.

no avatar
marauders

by marauders » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:41 am

Sweet mercy guys...I've been MIA on SP for about a week and just saw all these photos. That "windy" photo from East Peak on Timp is killer. Just killer. What glass are you sportin' now? The pics look clean, crisp and beautiful.

On another note, the ice outta be growin' now. It's cold!

dfrancom

ICE

by dfrancom » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:35 pm

marauders wrote:Sweet mercy guys...I've been MIA on SP for about a week and just saw all these photos. That "windy" photo from East Peak on Timp is killer. Just killer. What glass are you sportin' now? The pics look clean, crisp and beautiful.

Updates on Ice Anyone? dieing to get out and climb some ice

Ammon Hatch

by Ammon Hatch » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:31 pm

On that note I want to get out on some ice this year too. Got my own gear, just need a little mentoring. And long approaches don't scare me. I'm sure one of you will take advantage of the "will belay for mentoring" call.

On another note, I've got a sudden uncontrollable desire to go to Ecuador this winter. I need partners though. Any takers? I know you have some unfinished business Matt... :wink:

no avatar
Dan Shorb

Re: ICE

by Dan Shorb » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:55 am

dfrancom wrote:On another note, the ice outta be growin' now. It's cold!

Matthew wrote:On that note I want to get out on some ice this year too. Got my own gear, just need a little mentoring. And long approaches don't scare me. I'm sure one of you will take advantage of the "will belay for mentoring" call.

Indeed.

Pricecicle is in, as well as some other hwy 6 ice. Timp must be perfect right now...too bad I cant go for 3 weeks minimum :cry: :cry: :cry:

no avatar
marauders

by marauders » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:01 pm

Ammon Hatch wrote:On that note I want to get out on some ice this year too. Got my own gear, just need a little mentoring. And long approaches don't scare me. I'm sure one of you will take advantage of the "will belay for mentoring" call.

On another note, I've got a sudden uncontrollable desire to go to Ecuador this winter. I need partners though. Any takers? I know you have some unfinished business Matt... :wink:

Oh man, I wish I could get back. I could definitely give you all the logistical info from my trip. It was stellar! An absolute "must-do" type of trip. You get great altitude experience on mountains that are only moderate in difficulty and danger. If I remember correctly, the best time for good weather windows is mid-Dec. through January.
Last edited by marauders on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
marauders

Re: ICE

by marauders » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:02 pm

dfrancom wrote:
marauders wrote:Sweet mercy guys...I've been MIA on SP for about a week and just saw all these photos. That "windy" photo from East Peak on Timp is killer. Just killer. What glass are you sportin' now? The pics look clean, crisp and beautiful.

Looks like we are going to put together a Dirtsicle trip on Friday, Nov. 27th. If interested PM me, or check out utahoutsiders@yahoogroups.com.

vidclimber

by vidclimber » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:10 am

Me and a few others are starting at Alta on this Friday morning and linking the Bullion Divide and the Beat-out trail. I have Friday to Sunday to do this, but I am thinking it will take less time then that. If anyone else would like to go PM me.

Ammon Hatch

by Ammon Hatch » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:17 am

vidclimber wrote:Me and a few others are starting at Alta on this Friday morning and linking the Bullion Divide and the Beat-out trail. I have Friday to Sunday to do this, but I am thinking it will take less time then that. If anyone else would like to go PM me.

How did this go?

PreviousNext

Return to Utah