Meteorite over Utah and surrounding states.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:35 am

That's cool, (or should I say hot)?

I (of course) didn't see it, but I think that Elvis just left the building!

:shock:

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:03 am

lcarreau wrote:I (of course) didn't see it

The article says it was around Dugway, UT, and supposedly visible as far as L.A. If that's actually true, you could probably have seen it from Arizona, if you were looking north at 00:07.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:49 am

You're probably right, but at precisely 00:07 I was in bed dreaming of
sheep and goats !!!

:lol:

TyeDyeTwins

by TyeDyeTwins » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:51 am

Damn....... I was stuck in a college class faced the wrong way this morning.....Anyway, would you mind if I added this photo to my new album "Unusual Images"? Thanks for sharing such a beautiful picture for those of us who missed it.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:28 am

Whatever it is, it's pretty smokin' stuff!

Dig that bitchin' outline of Mount Olympus! Wish I could see that from my office!

tmtn93

by tmtn93 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:33 am

Yeah those trails there have nothing to do with the meteorite, My brother saw it from the Family room, He said there was a huge flash, i was sleeping as well, and also, 2 hours before this happened, at 10:00. me and my brothers were observing From Stansbury Park, we saw some galaxies and stuff, I also saw two shooting stars, but what makes me angry is that if there was no school in the morning, we would have stayed until midnight and have seen it. Also in toole, I heard that they heard the explosion and even people's houses shook.

Crazy stuff, Glad I haven't seen 2012 yet!

Bignick

by Bignick » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:31 am

I live high up south of the Mt Olympus trail head. Just after midnight I went upstairs and was looking west over the valley when it happened. It was like a horrific blue-white ultra bright and all encompassing explosion of light. It was much brighter than daylight on the brightest day for a fraction of a second then it subsided as quickly as it appeared. Hummmm...what the H*** was that? Coinsidental that my left eye has been a bit red, dry and sore today like when climbing at high altitude or burned from snow on a bright sunny day?

surgent

by surgent » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:00 pm

I recall seeing these tracks all the time as a kid (all the time being translated as a few times a year) in the 1970s. We lived about 150 miles from Vandenburgh AFB, which is north of Santa Barbara CA. They'd shoot up some missile of some sort, getting so high in the sky (dozens of miles) leaving a track that reflected sunlight even though the sun was below the horizon from our persepctive. My father worked on the various missile systems for the Army during the 1960s and 1970s; he gave me much more technical reasons.

My wife saw a meteor about 10 days ago. There had been a story about a sattelite burning through the atmosphere in various bits and pieces as it broke apart, coming back to earth. She saw her meteor the day after we read of this story. This suggests what she saw may have actually been a bit of sattelite (?). We could find no confirmation one way or the other. She said it "sparkled" as it tore through the sky. My hunch is she did in fact see some man-made thing burning up in the atmosphere. Did anyone see anything similar? I have see enough actual meteor streaks - they usually do not sparkle.

brendon

by brendon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:42 pm

Here's a link of the fireball visibility according to an estmated location from seismic activity from the main explosion.
http://www.heywhatsthat.com/?view=RUF3GEBU

Apparently they also picked up an actual impact at Dugway Proving Grounds.

sixfingers

by sixfingers » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:52 pm

I think you have a pretty good shot of what are called noctilucent clouds, maybe. Sometimes natural sometimes man made, ice crystals at somewhere around 80 kilometers up. High enough to be sun illuminated long before sunrise / after sunset.

Leonid meteor shower is on (ending) now.....

tmtn93

by tmtn93 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:02 pm

OK. so now my brother, who has ties with different astronomy clubs and people, said that these were indeed left behind from the meteor, it's an amazing site, I freaking missed the meteor, but I remember seeing this when I was going to school, so it's really cool. Also, on Astronomy.com, it also confirmed this as being left behind from the meteor

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:59 pm

I think it was a combination of swamp gas, weather balloons, global warming and the Men in Black.

Too bad we didn't get a chance to ... DUCK and Cover.

Return to Utah