Photo Upload Problems?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Ed F

Photo Upload Problems?

by Ed F » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:01 pm

I'm having trouble uploading some photos. After the submission screen, it basically goes to a blank page that has "Create" on it, but no information at all. It only seems to happen some of the time. Is there a size limit? Some of the photos are very large format (4000x3000pixels). But, the successful uploads are also that size, so that seems unlikely.

Anyone else have this problem?

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Re: Photo Upload Problems?

by Gangolf Haub » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:56 pm

sisyphus wrote:I'm having trouble uploading some photos. After the submission screen, it basically goes to a blank page that has "Create" on it, but no information at all. It only seems to happen some of the time. Is there a size limit? Some of the photos are very large format (4000x3000pixels). But, the successful uploads are also that size, so that seems unlikely.

Anyone else have this problem?

There is a size limit but rather measured in MB. I think it was either 6 or 8MB.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:06 pm

It seems to happen from time to time. One time seems to be right now. It occurred a few days ago, too.

lisae

by lisae » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:51 pm

mmm, I just noticed that some of the photos I've uploaded are displaying at their original size, not the smaller size that they normally display at?

For expample, take a look at my progile page.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:50 pm

lisae wrote:mmm, I just noticed that some of the photos I've uploaded are displaying at their original size, not the smaller size that they normally display at?

For expample, take a look at my progile page.

For quite a number oof my pictures the medium size had gone missing. Seems to be the same problem with your profile shot. I contacted Matt. A few weeks ago he said he planned to move dataa to a new storage. Hopefully that's what he's doing and that's the reason :shock:

nader

by nader » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:07 pm

I have the same problem. "Medium" pictures on my pages appear very large.

Saintgrizzly

by Saintgrizzly » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:19 pm

Same here. Page/image size has become huge, seemingly affecting images larger than "small." For me, it's almost all my pages.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:39 pm

Montana Matt wrote:Hang tight everyone. I'm making some changes to the images. I'll have this resolved sometime today.

Thanks Matt. I'll relax myself 8)

Ed F

by Ed F » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:07 pm

Hang tight everyone. I'm making some changes to the images. I'll have this resolved sometime today.

Thanks!

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:52 pm

Hi Matt,

I'm still have problems. Some of my medium photos which are posted on my pages are just showing up as single pixels. For example:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -Word.html

Check out the external links section. This has happened on quite a few pages but not all and as far as I can tell it only effects portrait photos.

Cheers
Dan

Saintgrizzly

by Saintgrizzly » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:13 pm

More problems here, too, on at least 8 of my pages. There are a couple variations of strangeness:

First, check out the "Magic of Many Glacier" section of this page:

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/17 ... rk-MT.html

which is, I think, the issue first noticed, where the page runs out to the side.

Second, this page:

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/5 ... -Park.html

has something I've never seen before, with the image being okay, but the text ignoring the fact there is an image, and appearing on screen over the picture, just as it would if the page was nothing but screen—in other words the text overlays the picture. This happens in the "First Day Travel, Thoughts" section, maybe a third of the way down.

Thanks,

Vernon

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:55 am

Hey everyone-

Matt is managing SP's hard drive space and rearranging photo storage, which is SP's largest object type by number submitted. Some sizing issues will take place in the process. He hopes after all is said and done, things will be back to normal. Continue to monitor your pages and report back here in a day or so if things aren't back to normal. Matt will check in to look this thread over periodcally.

In the mean time, we ask for your patience and we thank you for caring enough to monitor your pages regularly and report problems later if things don't seem to be getting back on track. We hope when this transfer is done, SP will run faster and more efficiently with the bulk of SP's photo collection being stored on a cloud server.

It's also probably a good idea to hold off on editing or adding pages of any kind until we post a "all clear" in this thread, too.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:50 am

SP sill has some other issues that is making my job slow and difficult. I don't know if the other staff members are experiencing these same problems. Maybe the server's trying to run me off! :lol: Anyway, for those I've assisted recently, thanks for your patience. For those I'm about to assist, thanks too for your patience.

Saintgrizzly

by Saintgrizzly » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:05 am

Matt, Aaron....

The problems afflicting my pages seem resolved. I'll keep checking, and let you know if they return.

Thanks!!!!

Vernon

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:24 am

Problems solved here too. Thanks for your good work!

Next

Return to Site Feedback