Worthington Peak, NV beta

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
MoapaPk

Worthington Peak, NV beta

by MoapaPk » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:27 pm

Any info? West or East side approach? I've driven by many times, but never snapped a photo. I remember a steep quasi-knife edge on the N side, but don't remember if it looked like a scramble or a tech climb. I know there are mines along the east side, I just don't know what the roads are like going in there.

Even a photo would be nice. I looked at my photos from Troy and Irish, and all were too fuzzy to be of use for beta.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:39 am

1000Pks wrote:Looks fine from the west on Google Earth. I could conceivably have a distant photo from NV 375, I'd have to look. Who would know about road conditions, though. They can change with the day, due to weather.

I checked google earth with the highest resolution DEM, but that N edge looked pretty steep when I saw it "in person". Time will tell. The east route would avoid that, but I don't know what the access on the mine roads is like.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:11 am

I've mapped out eastern and western approaches, since we'd want to hit Leviathan (Meeker) on the same trip. I've got the aerial photos; but there have been a lot of washouts up there since 2004 (e.g. Scofield Canyon Road to Troy). An active mine road may actually be best, as long as you don't have to cross barb-wire fences.

Dean

Re: Worthington Peak, NV beta

by Dean » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Anyone have an update on this peak? Roads? Best route?

Thanks..... Dean

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:47 pm

I was looking at this and nearby Kawich Peak too, as possibilities for mid-May if snow is mostly melted in that area.

Looking at Google Earth it looks like the road running to the east of the range is a pretty wide track. I'm not sure how for a stock rental SUV would be able to make it up the Freiburg Mine road but I'd be happy parking around 6200'-6500' or so and walking up the canyon the rest of the way. It looks like ascending the east ridge might be the best bet, either that or following the canyon that the road travels all the way up to that notch north of the summit then crossing to the west side of the range to contour south to the summit, but that approach looks like it could be a little cliffy.

The only road on the west side of the range looks to be way too far from Worthington (maybe not Meeker)

ScottyS

by ScottyS » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Dean wrote:Anyone have an update on this peak? Roads? Best route?

Thanks..... Dean

Dean, I've been up in the Golden Gates, but not in the Worthingtons yet. Here's a photo of the Worthingtons from the west side of the Golden Gates. Special request: can you take photos of the conifers up there when you go?

DSCF5339-DSCF53510001 (Medium).jpg
DSCF5339-DSCF53510001 (Medium).jpg (34.3 KiB) Viewed 3784 times

The following user would like to thank ScottyS for this post
Castlereagh

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Sat May 21, 2011 2:49 am

And the test results are in: at least class 3/3+ from the East/Freiburg mine site. I'll try to put up a page in the next couple days, but for now some sights:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed May 25, 2011 5:28 pm

We almost got there in March, found good camp spots on the east side at 6700'. But one person was unable to handle the snow, so we had to bail at ~7500'.

I have beta from someone who approached from the east, then went around the south side; he didn't remember any special problems.

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Wed May 25, 2011 5:44 pm

MoapaPk wrote:We almost got there in March, found good camp spots on the east side at 6700'. But one person was unable to handle the snow, so we had to bail at ~7500'.

I have beta from someone who approached from the east, then went around the south side; he didn't remember any special problems.

That's the way I went. Pretty basic scrambling.

The following user would like to thank Castlereagh for this post
Dean

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)