what kind of watch do you wear climbing

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
skyward22

what kind of watch do you wear climbing

by skyward22 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:58 pm

l had a decent watch last year that was lost at some point when I moved.
What I'm looking for is something lightweight as it can be that has most or all of the following features:
--altimeter
--heart rate monitor
--compass
--barometer
--alarm clock
--thermometer
OR, any other watch you'd recommend for the obvious purpose of telling time with the basic features you'd want while mountaineering or climbing

radson

by radson » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:09 pm

From memory you would be looking for a Polar AXN series or Suunto X series watch.

Brad Marshall

Re: what kind of watch do you wear climbing

by Brad Marshall » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:15 pm

tobe945 wrote:l had a decent watch last year that was lost at some point when I moved.
What I'm looking for is something lightweight as it can be that has most or all of the following features:
--altimeter
--heart rate monitor
--compass
--barometer
--alarm clock
--thermometer
OR, any other watch you'd recommend for the obvious purpose of telling time with the basic features you'd want while mountaineering or climbing

How about buying an inexpensive digital watch with a good alarm, a decent compass to carry and a GPS? Probably cost less. I have a fancy watch that has many of those features but I never seem to use them out in the mountains.

I like it on top

by I like it on top » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:37 pm

I have a Suunto, which has worked well for me. Also maybe look at Casio. Their Pathfinder series looks decent. Good Luck.

kheegster

by kheegster » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:50 pm

All those features minus the heartrate monitor can be had in a single watch for under $200 (although I haven't encountered a watch alarm worth a damn), then the addition of the HRM will probably bring it over $500.

I'm not sure why anyone would want a heart-rate monitor while actually climbing. I consider it a training tool, and anyway the effects of altitude and dehydration etc will mess up your heart rate.

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:35 am

The cheap kind that goes in my pack 'cause they won't last one pitch on my wrist and I usually break them in one or two seasons.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:57 am

lopgok wrote:The Omega X-33 has a 80db alarm. Not cheap at all. It is designed for pilots who need many features including a very loud alarm....

I think I know some Northwest pilots that could have used this feature :lol:

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

Re: what kind of watch do you wear climbing

by Mihai Tanase » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:27 am

TacoDelRio wrote:
Brad Marshall wrote:
tobe945 wrote:l had a decent watch last year that was lost at some point when I moved.
--altimeter
--heart rate monitor
--compass
--barometer
--alarm clock
--thermometer

How about buying an inexpensive digital watch with a good alarm, a decent compass to carry and a GPS? Probably cost less. I have a fancy watch that has many of those features but I never seem to use them out in the mountains.

X2

G-shock = inexpensive and very durable.

Santa Claus will bring me the next generation watch with both included George Nespresso Clooney machine and red rat trap from Ferrari :mrgreen:

neghafi

by neghafi » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:09 am

how are GPS Watches? Garmin's, Suunto's and such

MScholes

by MScholes » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:15 pm

Got me a Sunnto Altimax.
Basic model without too much fancy stuff - no GPS or Compass
A few alarms that are "okay" - but I'm a heavy sleeper so might be different for you. Thermometer is useless, unless you take it out and off your wrist for a bit to avoid having clothing or body heat affect it.

Altimeter is very nice, as is the barometer if you know what that stuff means. Slightly complicated to use but you get used to it. There's definetly better models out there but I enjoy the Altimax, it wasn't too expensive and it does it's job.

Next

Return to Gear