Entry level digital SLR

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
EastcoastMike

Entry level digital SLR

by EastcoastMike » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:39 pm

Noticed the fiance is really impressed with some of the better outdoor photography on this site and others. Not sure if this is in the right forum, although not sure if qualifies as gear either. Looking to get her a digital slr as a Christmas gift. We are not experienced or knowledgeable when it comes to cameras, so I guess I am looking for something 'entry-level'. Also, since we do a lot of hiking/backpacking/kayaking something suitable for carrying would be excellent. If you have any advice or suggestions they would be really appreciated. Thanks a ton!

- Mike

Moni

by Moni » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:01 pm

Search the forums - DSLR's are a regular point of discussion.

wasclywabbit

DSLR

by wasclywabbit » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:53 pm

Mike,

While DSLRs have incredible capabilities these days their primary drawbacks for outdoor activities are weight and bulk. Add a second or third lens to the equation and suddenly you have a 5lb heavier load to carry. You may want to consider as a starter set-up a high(er) end compact (I hate to call these a point and shoot because their capabilities are so far beyond that).

I use a Canon Powershot G9 which has since been replaced by the G10 and now additionally the G11.

The image quality of my G9 is excellent and the ability to shoot in RAW mode gives you a lot more editing options. The newer G10 is 14.7 mega-pixels which allows you to print large images wth very little grain.

The down side is that the zoom range is just OK. I'd prefer being able to get a wider angle view. Additionally it is not water resistant (nor are most DSLRs) so you have to have a system in place to keep your camera dry. I have a very nice Pentax paperweight in a drawer; the result of a nasty thunderstorm near the Crestone Needle.

In short there isn't one right answer, rather it's finding the right balance of cost, features and size that work best for you.

nartreb

by nartreb » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:09 pm

I agree with the Wabbit. Consider a good compact camera before taking on the bulk of an SLR - you'll shoot more and better, and learn faster, if you actually use the camera, which you won't do if you leave it home due to bulk or even if you have to stop to change to the right lens. I'm especially impressed with the G11, but it's hard to go far wrong these days.
(Side note: Canon has taken the bold step of declaring an end to the megapixel marketing wars: the G11 has "only" 10 megapixels (still more than my SLR which isn't all that old). When it comes to pixels, quality is more important than quantity.)

If you're set on an SLR, take a look at the digital Rebel, which is *relatively* small and light and not unreasonably priced. But now you'll have to spend a lot of time deciding what lens(es) to get...

wasclywabbit

DSLR

by wasclywabbit » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:41 pm

One thing I forgot to add is that if you go with a DSLR the lens choice is as important if not more so than the camera. A great camera with a crappy lens will never produce great images. This is often the mistake that new photographers make, they step up and buy the best camera they can afford but skimp on the lens. Ideally you want to do the opposite if you're on a budget, get a good quality basic body and the best lens you can afford.

A client of mine has been a photographer with the AP for 30 years. He always tells me when I ask his advice on equipment that the camera is just a box, it's the glass that produces the image. That was/is more true with film than digital but it is still very sound advice.

radson

by radson » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:43 pm

Some good advice above. You may get more use out of a prosumer camera such as the:

Canon G9-G11
Canon S80
Nikon P6000
Panasonic LX3
Ricoh..umm something

Otherwise all the manufacturers of dSLRS have some great cameras with unique strengths

Olympus and Panasonic- Nice and Tiny
Sony- good value, competing for market share
Pentax- They weatherproof their cameras and feature great bang for your buck
Canon and Nikon - Have unlimited access to future lense and accessories.

I would grab a hold of some of these cameras and see how they feel in your hot little hands rather than being swayed too much by marketing material. Any of these cameras will produce great pictures.

verdeleone

by verdeleone » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:49 pm

I've been quite happy with my Pentax k20. Not too expensive, good and water-tight so far. Combined with the sweet little Limited "pancake" lenses it is not too bulky for extended carry, especially since my main purpose for being in the BOW is to take sissified flower pictures.

The Panasonic Lumix GF1 is worth looking at too, very small, not an SLR but takes interchangeable lenses.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:24 pm

I use three cameras, all Canons: a 10 mp Elph, a 10 mp A640 (a point-and-shoot), and a 10 mp Rebel Xti.

There is some good advice here, and here's mine based on my experiences.

The Elph is light and compact, the battery lasts almost forever, and I can carry it on my belt in a small case. Drawbacks: weak zoom (3X, has more zoom beyond that, but resolution is not good and stability is an issue); no optical viewfinder (this can affect stability, especially in windy conditions, because you have to compose with the LCD screen); the lens does not seem to produce images quite as sharp as those I get from the other two.

The A640 is larger than the Elph but still much smaller than the Rebel. The pictures are very sharp, the screen pulls out and swivels, and there is decent zoom (4X). It runs on AA batteries, which I like; although that makes the camera heavier and in the long run is more expensive, there is no charging issue when you are camping for several days. It also has an optical viewfinder. The camera also has an outstanding macro feature that is as good as what I get with my heavy macro lens. The downside for me: the more you zoom, the less what you see through the viewfinder is what you actually capture, meaning you have to use the screen to compose, which can lead to those stability issues; I don't know if this view/image discrepancy exists in other brands, but it has in every Canon point-and-shoot with a zoom I have ever used (three different ones over the years).

The Rebel is, of course, large and heavy, but the images are very sharp. But what I like best is the ability to control the composition that you cannot match with a zoom button. And although I can influence aperture and shutter speed with my point-and-shoot, I have far more influence over them with the SLR. I bought a 17-85 mm lens, the equivalent of 28-135 in a film lens. It is large and heavy, but the great range makes it worth it. Downside, other than the size/weight issue: the macro feature on a Canon SLR is worthless, so I can't do wildflower closeups. But the pictures are so sharp that I can usually crop after the fact and still have great detail. The lens has IS, which is not a substitute for a tripod, but I can usually get pretty crisp hand-held shots of waterfalls with the water blurred by a slower shutter speed.

At first, I used the SLR for short hikes and climbs and for roadside shots and used one of the others for longer outings. But I am starting to move the other way, despite the weight issue; I am just much happier with better control over zoom and composition as well as the other features.

I have always used Canons and have been very happy with them. Because of that, I would never consider spending the extra money on a Nikon.

If your pictures are simply souvenir shots and you don't have a real passion for photography, I would not get an SLR. You will still get good shots, for much less money, with a point-and-shoot. And, quite honestly, if you are not a very good photographer and are humble enough to admit it (this site is regularly flooded by non-beta pictures that show no skill with composition and lighting), you are just wasting money if you get an SLR.

Good luck and enjoy!

RomaK

by RomaK » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:19 pm

This site is a great resource on anything related to digital photography. Here's a good starting point.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/ ... ide_01.htm

WouterB

by WouterB » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:23 pm

Note: I haven't read the above!
Consider that you'll also need a couple of lenses when you get a dSLR. These things weigh a lot and are bulky. Not a good combination since you both seem to like outdoor activities. I bought a dSLR about two years ago and took it everywhere with me. I took some great pictures, but also, quite often didn't bother with taking the camera out of the bag. It takes too long, and when conditions aren't ideal, you simply won't bother. Also, I found that condensation was a huge problem for me.

Whatever you decide, consider also getting her some lessons. They are often not that expensive, and quite useful!

RomaK

by RomaK » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:36 pm

Like mentioned above, give some strong consideration to the prosumer compact cameras. I've had a Panasonic Lumix LX3 for a few months and I love it. The Canon G11 is another great camera in that category (albeit slightly larger).

The budding new Micro Four Thirds cameras (Panasonic Lumix GF1 and Olympus EP-1/EP-2) are something to think about as well. They are pricier, but have dSLR-like image quality and interchangeable lens while being much closer in size to point-and-shoot compacts.

Also note that in good light conditions with a large depth of field, there won't be any real difference between a shot taken with a nice compact and a nice dSLR.

godskid5

by godskid5 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:59 am

panasonic lumix fz28. 10MP, 28-488mm zoom (35mm equivalent) and only around 300 bucks. also very lightweight, and halft the size of a dslr.

EastcoastMike

by EastcoastMike » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:31 pm

Hey thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to go with the Canon Powershot G11. It seems to be the perfect blend for someone like my fiance who enjoys taking nice photos and playing with some settings, but is not enough a photo buff to fully make use of an SLR. My next question someone already touched on. We lost one camera to a fried motherboard courtesy of a slowly leaking camelback. What sort of system do you employ to keep it dry while hiking? I am looking for a waterproof case but can't seem to find one. This will be especially important soon since we'll probably be taking it on some snowshoeing adventures in the Adirondacks this winter. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Nelson

by Nelson » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:02 pm

My G10 (purchased two months before the G11 came out, but I wanted it for a trip) fits nicely into the large OpTech Neoprene pouch:

http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PR ... EGORY_ID=5

It is not water resistant, not waterproof, but then put the whole thing into a ziplock bag and you should be in business. The outside zip pocket is perfect for a couple of extra batteries and cards.

You received good advice on a prosumer instead of DSLR for your needs, and you should be very pleased with the G11.
Last edited by Nelson on Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wasclywabbit

Canon G11

by wasclywabbit » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:32 pm

I use a very high tech method to keep my G9 dry. I put it in a zip lock bag then inside a LowePro case. I keep an eye on the bag for holes and replace it when it gets one.

If heavy rains come I'll double bag it and put it in my pack.

Next

Return to Gear