National Geographic Adventure folds

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
kakakiw

National Geographic Adventure folds

by kakakiw » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:48 pm

http://www.theadventurelife.org/2009/12/national-geographic-adventure-magazine-folds/

NGS released the following statement:

National Geographic is transitioning its Adventure brand from traditional print to a multi-platform model that will include newsstand editions, books, e-magazines, mobile applications and a robust Web site. National Geographic will also continue to honor the world’s great explorers and adventurers with the National Geographic Adventure Awards. “We’re tremendously proud of what John Rasmus and his team have accomplished over the last 10 years,” NG Publishing President John Q. Griffin said in making the announcement. “They have consistently delivered award-winning editorial to an enthusiastic audience of readers and advertisers. But given the current advertising environment and the opportunities we see in emerging digital platforms, we think the time is right to transition the Adventure brand.” Griffin shared the news at a staff meeting in New York today. A total of 17 staffers in New York and Washington are affected.

Haliku

by Haliku » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:40 pm

My favorite magazine... RIP.

pingzingr

by pingzingr » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:58 pm

wow that sucks. i actually enjoyed picking up every issue i got in the mail and circling all of the great trips i wanted to take. Now where am I going to go? Outside...already got it...but they never focused on it like Adventure.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:47 pm

Looks like Outside's on its way out, too.

everestnews wrote:The jury is still out on Outside Magazine, rumored earlier this year to having laid off employees and being very late with payments to freelance writers contributing the majority of the mag's articles at up to $10,000 feature assignments. Also the mag's online venture Away.com seems to be tanking, while Nat Geo Adventure reportedly plan to keep their website.

No big - they went Eddie Bauer on us and lost their edge, frankly.

The media model has changed dramatically in the past decade or so. Time for print material to catch up.

battledome

by battledome » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:39 am

My wife and I were subscribers a few years back. I really liked their "on the cheap" travel series - esp. the articles by McKenzie Funk. Like this one: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0107/bolivia.html

Misha

by Misha » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:17 am

&*T#&^R@(&*^^*&!!!!! Bastards still owe me $700 for a photo use (six months overdue). Something tells me I'll never get my money

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:31 pm

MarthaP wrote:No big - they went Eddie Bauer on us and lost their edge, frankly.

I've only been aware of it for 3-4 years and didn't know it was ever not Eddie Bauer. It always struck me as a magazine for people who would spend hundreds of dollars a night to stay in a resort near an "adventure" destination.

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:01 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:
MarthaP wrote:No big - they went Eddie Bauer on us and lost their edge, frankly.

I've only been aware of it for 3-4 years and didn't know it was ever not Eddie Bauer. It always struck me as a magazine for people who would spend hundreds of dollars a night to stay in a resort near an "adventure" destination.

One day I opened up Outside (a long time ago it now seems), and kept smelling perfume. I started looking around, me, then the magazine, and found the scent sample card. It was then I knew something was changing.

It's too bad Adventure is going under. I hate seeing another one go away. They (both Adventure and Outside ) had some good writers. Summit's been gone for awhile. There had been a few small start ups that had promise,gone.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:21 pm

Well, fortunately Alpinist has returned. Check out also a magazine called Wend. I think it's what Outside once was, at least IMHO. They started online only and now have a really high-quality print monthly. http://www.wendmag.com/ The writing isn't the quality of Smithsonian but they have some interesting stuff.

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:55 pm

Thanks Martha,it looks pretty good and to see it as a print copy is good too.
Somehow sitting on the john with a computer perched on my lap just isn't the same.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:41 pm

kakakiw wrote:Somehow sitting on the john with a computer perched on my lap just isn't the same.

:lol: Well, maybe add one of those soothing female voices to your computer and see how that keeps you at attention!! :wink:

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:22 pm

Last weekend I made a decision to cancel my National Geographic Adventure magazine subscription. I had decided to keep only one outdoor magazine subscription, and chose Backpacker over NGA in a very close decision. But when I got to the NGA site, I could find nowhere to cancel the subscription. Now I know why.

I liked Adventure a lot. It had some very high quality writing.

SummitPost is part of the reason I decided to cut back to one magazine.

Return to News