Mont Blanc

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Moni

Re: Mont Blanc

by Moni » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:16 pm

Check out the <a href="http://www.summitpost.org/show/mountain_link.pl/mountain_id/63"> Mont Blanc</a> page for links to accommodations and guides. Check out the various route pages for an idea of the various routes. The Dome du Gouter route is easy under most conditions but strenuous as is the route from the Midi and Grand Mulets. The regular route from the Italian side simialrly so but I don't think quite as popular. Expect big crowds on the Dome du Gouter route and to have to sleep on the floor of the hut although if you chose to start from the Tete Rousse hut you may be able to get a bunk. Make reservations early in that respect.

fdoctor

by fdoctor » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:21 pm

The route via the Gouter Hut is the easiest tho' not without its dangers re the grand couloir.
Guides can be found in Chamonix quite easily.
Lots of hotels in Chamonix to suit all budgets. I frequently use Hotel Les Lanchers in Les Praz.

eza

by eza » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:38 pm

Yes, I agree. We climbed the Goûter Route last summer and it's said to be the easiest one. Consider seriously making an advance reservation at the Goûter Hut or you might find yourself sleeping on the dining room floor.

fagin

by fagin » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:11 pm

if i were u, i't take the gouter route, if ur going in the summer then dont worry about a guide unless ur a very unsure climber. absorb the detail on the Mont Blanc page of this fine website re altitide sickness and general safety and go for it. Trust me, you cant get lost in the busy season, no matter how hard u try, lol

Attila the Hun

by Attila the Hun » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:33 am

Take the Gouter route. It's the regular and most used route up the mountain. It's a bit of a slog though! We did it around the 20th-21st of September last year. The route and hut wasn't crowded and the weather was fantastic. In sept, it's the off season, so you get less people on the mountain, and a more reasonable rate in the hotels in Chamonix. The Priory is a nice hotel, and reasonable in Sept.

Re Guides, there's an Irish guide named Robbie Fenlon that lives in Chamonix and he gives a six day course covering all the basics of ropework, ice axe and crampon work etc, as well as doing a couple of other 4000ers as a means of acclimitisation. The course finishes with a two day ascent of Mont Blanc. Check out his website at www.wilderplaces.com. For somebody with no experience of high altitude mountaineering before last Sept, I found him excellent.

tonyscotland

by tonyscotland » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:23 pm

nessa i climbed mont blanc last year and took in another 3 4000metre mountains the same day, its called the montblanc traverse.

I used a great guide called John Taylor heres his web link
www.montblancguides.com

you can read the reviews on his website, You can also check me out standing ontop of montblanc.

Have fun its great!

Return to Europe