Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Do you 'Get Out?'

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Postby Scott » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:59 pm

Do you? Do you get out? Do you get after it? Week in, week out... month after month, year after year, till it spans decades?

Just curious. No need to answer though!

I did get out, but most of my stuff was non-technical in case you don't consider that climbing. Most of getting out this year involved being with the kids, so most wasn't hard-core (although climbing 3rd-4th class or winter mountaineering with kids can be a different kind of hard core). I did get a few nice technical routes in though.

The trip log is below:

http://www.summitpost.org/custom-object ... p-log.html

Anyway, so far this year I've hiked or climbed on 131 days so far this year and have climbed 84 peaks this year to date. Fortunately, I haven't gone on vacation yet and leave next week where we'll be climbing several more peaks.

My record for a year is 101 peaks in a year (2005) and I hope I might break it this year, but don't think I'll quite make it since it's already December and I still have 17 to go. While on vacation if I can talk the family into climbing sun-up to sun-down every day, I may make it, but I think they are interested in doing other stuff as well. :wink:

Also, my seven year old son has climbed 57 mountains so far this year, some of them including 4th class peaks and winter ascents with -30F (-36C) windchills. 57 in one year is definately his record. Our five daughter set her record as well, but I haven't broke it out year by year yet.
Scott

Postby RedRoxx44 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:02 am

I get out about 3 weekends a month. No climbing, hiking, backpacking, caving. I don't do well without it. I had a big wakeup call with cancer diagnosis in 2001, chemo, then recovery. By 2003 I did an overnighter in Anza Borrego that involved around 9K elevation gain in a day and packed all my water in, and off trail over 20 rugged miles. I felt pretty good about that, since I couldn't walk around the block the year before. And it's only getting better, as I'm older I'm enjoying life more. Don't wait. It won't wait for you. :wink:
RedRoxx44

Postby Augie Medina » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:15 am

RedRoxx44 wrote:I get out about 3 weekends a month. No climbing, hiking, backpacking, caving. I don't do well without it. I had a big wakeup call with cancer diagnosis in 2001, chemo, then recovery. By 2003 I did an overnighter in Anza Borrego that involved around 9K elevation gain in a day and packed all my water in, and off trail over 20 rugged miles. I felt pretty good about that, since I couldn't walk around the block the year before. And it's only getting better, as I'm older I'm enjoying life more. Don't wait. It won't wait for you. :wink:

Thanks for sharing. The "don't wait" advice is right on. Cherish the day.
Augie Medina

Postby Dragger » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:33 am

Dingus Milktoast wrote:
And here's my other daughter Kaity on her first mulitpitch climb, in the Valley of the Gods:

The best of times.

DMT

Munginella -- right on. A perfect 1st multi-pitcher, just the right amount of everything!
Dragger

Postby Princess Buttercup » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:53 am

Dougb wrote:That's very sweet. I bet your Dad is real proud, I know I would be proud if my little one turns out like you 8)

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks, Doug. It definitely goes both ways. Pop got a crash course in mountaineering before we headed up the trail, as he had never used crampons/axe before. Found a nice patch of snow above Long Lake (Bishop Pass) to practice on the week before. He has a bad fear of edges, but worked through it like a champ until just above the cables. When he finally said, "I'm really beyond my comfort level here" we finally turned around.

Sounds like your daughter is well on her way... :D
Princess Buttercup

Postby Mark Straub » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:31 am

The last time I was able to go rock climbing was 2 months ago, and the last time I was able to climb a mountain was 4 months ago. I have attempted to get out every weekend. I'm really getting frustrated.

But...I might be able to go ice climbing for the first time after Christmas!

-Mark
Mark Straub

Postby Greg Enright » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:54 am

My wife and I were stopped at the Mosquito Flat trailhead by a volunteer from Chico State doing research about visitors to the area. She asked how many days per year we recreated in the national forest. After a little huddle, we answered "300 days a year".

"I hate you!" was her reply.
Greg Enright

Postby The Chief » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:06 am

Like Greg above, at 300 days plus.

Neither he nor I have a choice.

We both reside (one block from the other) where most of ya'll drive hours to come and "Get Out".

It sucks.......
The Chief

Postby Sarah Simon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:24 pm

Every weekend, all seasons, rain or shine, snow or hail. I'm out in the mountains, summitting peaks.

I usually am out all weekend, until I hear domestic complaints of abandonment, and then I might reign myself in to just one outting a week. I also tend to focus my vacation time on outdoor adventure (just finished 8 Texas peaks in 5 days over Thanksgiving!).

This (adventure in the mountains) is what I live for. Work just pays the bills and supports my hobby. If I miss a weekend (illness, family obligations, etc.) I feel "out of sorts" and crave the clean mountain air. :?
Sarah Simon

Postby EastcoastMike » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:24 pm

I like to get out as much as I can. So far this year I have done 3 backpacking trips, and I'd guess 30-40 dayhikes. I'd like to get out more, and don't plan on living in DC forever. I tide myself over by running everyday.
EastcoastMike

PreviousNext

Return to General