Winter ascent of Eagle Mountain

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:58 pm

I didn't realize the overnight permits were self issued. That simplifies things.

I have a bomber 3-person winter montaineering tent that'll take almost anything mother nature has to offer. Does anyone else have a 4-season tent?

Depending on the conditions, we can practice building snow walls, pulling sleds, placing snow anchors and/or any other winter activities that anyone wants to practice.

Here's what I'm thinking.

Drive up early Friday morning (11 hours from Chicago.) Hike in (2.5 miles) and make camp Friday evening. Tag the peak on Saturday and practice winter outdoor skills. Hike out, drive home Sunday morning.

mstender

by mstender » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:23 pm

Alpinist wrote:I didn't realize the overnight permits were self issued. That simplifies things.

I have a bomber 3-person winter montaineering tent that'll take almost anything mother nature has to offer. Does anyone else have a 4-season tent?

Depending on the conditions, we can practice building snow walls, pulling sleds, placing snow anchors and/or any other winter activities that anyone wants to practice.

Drive up early Friday morning (11 hours from Chicago.) Hike in (2.5 miles) and make camp Friday evening. Tag the peak on Saturday and practice winter outdoor skills. Hike out, drive home Sunday morning.

Sounds like a great plan!
It might be possible to car pool at least some of the way depending where people come from.

aedwards

by aedwards » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:10 pm

Alpinist wrote:I didn't realize the overnight permits were self issued. That simplifies things.

Are you thinking the Whale Lake site?

The thing I always think about is that if both the sites there are taken (quite unlikely), we'd be kinda SOL.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:17 pm

That would be fun to camp at Whale Lake. However, we can camp just about anywere in winter since everything will be covered in snow. It doesn't have to be at a specific camp site. We need only follow the common sense rules; find a flat spot, away from avalanche danger (not an issue in MN), not over a creek bed, etc...

aedwards

by aedwards » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:25 pm

I think it'd be fun too. It's a great spot.

Officially BWCA rules say established sites only...

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:04 pm

And we'll be sure to follow those rules to the letter... :wink:

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Hey Alpinist, in the interest of saving about $200, is Eagle Mtn. doable in nordic skis? I'm currently without snowshoes (I miss those Atlas 12 Series, I really do :cry: ) but do have my dad's skate, touring, and classic set ups on hand. I think I could even dig up the waxes and iron too.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:16 am

The approach looks pretty straight forward and shouldn't be a problem. The final ascent is only 400 ft and doesn't look very steep. Unless there is fresh powder, I think you'll be ok with skins.

aedwards

by aedwards » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

woodsxc wrote:Hey Alpinist, in the interest of saving about $200, is Eagle Mtn. doable in nordic skis? I'm currently without snowshoes (I miss those Atlas 12 Series, I really do :cry: ) but do have my dad's skate, touring, and classic set ups on hand. I think I could even dig up the waxes and iron too.

You could rent some snowshoes from REI or something too.
The trail's pretty much cobbled with stones in places, one could potentially do a number on a pair of skis.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:33 am

aedwards wrote:
woodsxc wrote:Hey Alpinist, in the interest of saving about $200, is Eagle Mtn. doable in nordic skis? I'm currently without snowshoes (I miss those Atlas 12 Series, I really do :cry: ) but do have my dad's skate, touring, and classic set ups on hand. I think I could even dig up the waxes and iron too.

You could rent some snowshoes from REI or something too.
The trail's pretty much cobbled with stones in places, one could potentially do a number on a pair of skis.

Don't you think everything will be covered in snow by then?

On a related note, I read that there were hundreds of trees downed several years ago along the main trail. Was the trail clear when you were there last year or did you have to navigate a maze of fallen trees?

aedwards

by aedwards » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:56 pm

I hope there's tons of snow! :D
Hard to say what it'll be like then.

It was clear when I was there last year. Some outdoor groups were pretty active maintaining trails up there this summer. I'll ask around about the Eagle Mountain trail.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:22 pm

Man I would love to do this, but since I'm driving so far, I rather knock off a few other high points on the way. This might be to much for me on one weekend, but it sure looks like fun!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 155273&z=5

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:30 pm

You can do it! Just put the pedal to the metal...!

Tonka

by Tonka » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:36 pm

I'm heading up there this week and will be doing Eagle on Friday. From what I've heard they got around 20 inches inland from the lake. Which is good because there really wasn't any snow to speak of before the storm and we are hoping to snowshoe. I'll be roughing it in a hot tub room at the Bluefin Bay before and after. Should be a nice new years.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:50 pm

Tonka wrote:I'm heading up there this week and will be doing Eagle on Friday. From what I've heard they got around 20 inches inland from the lake. Which is good because there really wasn't any snow to speak of before the storm and we are hoping to snowshoe. I'll be roughing it in a hot tub room at the Bluefin Bay before and after. Should be a nice new years.

What a great way to spend the New Year! Have fun! We're not going up until Feb but it would still be nice to hear what the conditions are like during your trip. Please post an update when you get back if you can.

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)