Voting idea

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:54 am

taxinvestor wrote:How would everyone vote if their name was not attached to the vote?

That's how it was until the site changed, around Valentine's Day 2006. Lots of cowardly vengeful voting was a negative aspect of that system.

T Sharp

by T Sharp » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:14 am

MoapaPk wrote:I hate voting on stuff. A vote has become the equivalent of a friendly glance, or "have a nice day". So many on-line entities now have "like-unlike" buttons-- just another chance to offend or give a meaningless pat on the back.

Most of the stuff that comes up for a vote, I know little about; I mainly vote on the grammar and how pretty the page might be, or if there is an edifying story. Some times I see truly useful info. I particularly feel it is meaningless for me to vote on rock climbing routes, since I can't judge if the information is correct or not.

If you post info for a remote, little-known area, where the information might actually be useful to someone trying to reproduce the trip, then the chances are the info will be relevant only to a few people, so there will be few votes.

Yeah but Moapa, you currently have a page up front that is for a very out of the way peak, little known, with much useful information and great pics, and you have only gotten 51 votes on the sucker! I voted a 10 to register my approval for and admiration for the work that went into that page, I did not check out each of your GPS way-points, but I am confident they will be correct. Pages like this are no small endeavor, and it is very fair to acknowledge good work. I will likely never get the chance to climb that peak, but I am happy that quality work is still being put up on SP! Good on the Elves for putting your Morey Peak page on the front page!8)

no avatar
Husker

by Husker » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:38 am

squishy wrote:From time to time, I sort through all the photos which have no votes and find all those with lines drawn on them or useful maps and I vote on them, I think those are the most useful photos on SP and it's a shame they get zero votes...A few of us should always be doing this...

The problem with making voting anonymous is that if say-- someone didn't like how they were treated on PnP, that person could go on the offending person's proflile page and downvote every one of his/her contributions. Under the present system of transparency, this problem is mostly avoided. This is a good thing!!

Sleighty

by Sleighty » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:55 am

That might be useful...and give everyone equal weight when voting.

I can see this leading to a saturation of "less than ideal" content though. I myself am quite a noob here at SP, and by no means have any lasting contributions (still working on some :wink: ), and I can admit that my vote should not hold as much weight as someone who, say, has tons of pages posted, useful route info, and has helped shape the site themselves. I was attracted to this site because of the fact that climber's shape what info is showcased...and if everyone, including people who just want another site to post pictures of themselves, is given equal weight, then...well...we might have a new facebook.

Haha no offense to the idea. Like I said, I'm just a noob. :)

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:57 am

and give everyone equal weight when voting.

Problem is that people could create all the fake avatars they want and vote their own stuff. The voting system itself isn't flawed, only the voters.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:57 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:I vote 10 or not at all.

That is all.

DMT

Heck I almost never vote 10.... there is room for improvement, almost always.

Dow gets a vote of 10 from me, sometimes, because he will go the extra mile and add photos that are more than the "heel and butt shots" most commonly posted, and his root pages can be used instead of a guidebook.

Taking the time to add more than the normal stuff is what will earn a higher score.

I am surprised that lots of folks give a automatic 10...... :wink:

what do you do when you see something that is really truly amazing????

go to 11????

mrh

by mrh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:00 pm

Scott wrote:

Problem is that people could create all the fake avatars they want and vote their own stuff.

True. Except they have already done that.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:54 pm

JasonH wrote:
squishy wrote:
JasonH wrote:
lcarreau wrote:Excuse um, but I can never finger out why some folks vote 8/10 or 9/10, and they leave

ZERO comment on how you can approve the page, or bring it up to par excellence.

Seems like some of these quiet, obscure folks should be communicating more ???

I love to get comments, both good and bad. BRING IT !!!!!!

:shock:

8/10 and a 9/10 shouldn't be considered a bad vote. But if someone give a vote of 3 or lower then I think a little explanation is in order.

But it is a bad vote, such votes bring the photo's rating down...

And that is why I give everything a 10 unless the page is really bad. But that might be part of the problem

This is really the heart of the voting problem, as I pointed out when SP2 was first released. Nobody wants to vote less than 10 when it disproportionately downgrades the object's score. (If you vote 9, the object is given a score of 70...)

The scoring calculation should have been implemented as an average weighted voting system, like schools use. Vote 10 = 100, 9 = 90, 8 = 80, etc. Everybody can understand that. The impact of your vote is predictable. There are no surprises.

Had that method been implemented from the start instead of the funky algorythms that we have today, people would have voted more honestly from the beginning. It's too late now though, now that people have already voted on 100,000's of objects. I don't guess this is going to change so there's no point in beating a dead horse. :x

no avatar
Husker

by Husker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:00 am

I may be wrong about this, but now that I am worthless in the power department, won't I lessen the average if I vote? Not something I want to do. I used to vote the way Jason H does, only 10s if the contribution moved me. For now, I don't vote.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:07 am

mrh wrote:
Scott wrote:

Problem is that people could create all the fake avatars they want and vote their own stuff.

True. Except they have already done that.

The difference is, with equal-weight voting, the fake avatar's vote counts for something significant. With the weighted voting, a fake avatar with no contributions has much less vote weight (I think).

But yes, people still probably create fake profiles to pad votes, as if one's summitpost point score or photo popularity is any indication of one's actual worth in life. Or penis size. Or whatever. :roll:

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:10 pm

Day Hiker wrote:As if one's summitpost point score or photo popularity is any indication of one's actual worth in life. Or penis size. Or whatever. :roll:

Wait...so I have been contributing for nothing? :D

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:00 pm

Hotoven wrote:
Day Hiker wrote:As if one's summitpost point score or photo popularity is any indication of one's actual worth in life. Or penis size. Or whatever. :roll:

Wait...so I have been contributing for nothing? :D

Haha, yes. Actually, contributions to the site mean something and are a positive reflection on the person, indicating his or her desire to contribute to the community and share knowledge with other people, particularly since this is done without receiving payment. But the point scores don't mean shit.

Mark Doiron

by Mark Doiron » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:49 pm

Day Hiker wrote:... the point scores don't mean shit.

Wait a minute, you mean the REI discount is a hoax?!?

D-bo

by D-bo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:45 am

This has already been said, but the only change that I would make to the voting system is to make the vote impact the object's score more proportionately toward how you voted on it. A 7/10 should still be a positive vote, but of course would not have as much impact as a 10/10. A 5/10 would be average. Right now, I either give a 10 if I like the object or don't vote at all. I would like to be more reserved with my 10's, but I believe that there is still a ton of content on this site that is superb and deserves a strong positive vote. I can only imagine a system like that where if I ever received a 10/10, I might be prompted to ask the SPer why he/she liked it so much, which may lead to a great networking opportunity. As it stands today, if someone thought your object was the best thing they've ever seen, you may never know just by looking at the vote, because everyone votes with 10/10. Not everyone wants to or has the time to make a comment. Many comments simply say "great page" or "awesome photo." But the voting scale should be a way to quantify just how "great" or "awesome" you really think an object is. But, I think the 1-10 grading scale should stay. Even a 1-5 scale would be sufficient, but I don't think there is any need to make any radical changes to such an enjoyable and resourceful website. The voting impact just needs a little tweaking.

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback