Great pictures vs. votes - huh!?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:28 am

Dave K wrote:
lcarreau wrote:Seems to be lots of people taking advantage of SP's voting system.

It will continue to be that way until somebody makes a positive change.

(I tried voting "11" on several pictures, but it didn't work out!)
:cry:

You've been watching too much "Spinal Tap."

I know. Guess I better shut up while I'm still in the game.

:roll:

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:52 am

When I saw this thread title all I could think, was "here we go again on the POTD thing", but I have been pleasantly surprised with how it's going so far.

But then I thought, don't just beat the dead horse, let's dig up the dead horse and beat it. I did a Search on SP for "POTD" which gave 39 replies. I don't think all of them relate to POTD (several PnP results), but a good many do. My advice is to grab one of your favorite beverages, sit back and do some reading on these Forums and get in some good laughs along the way (with the large number of Forum threads on POTD, it may take more than one beverage.

And on a positve note, as Dean brought up...the Elves rock, keeping the site going. I, along with so many others have gotten plenty nervous when the system has been down and we couldn't get access (I believe it is Montana Matt that keeps the IT end rolling. Thanks!!!).

phlipdascrip

by phlipdascrip » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:14 am

Dean wrote:I must admit I was very surprised to see my "Merry Christmas to all" picture appear on the front page since I had posted it as a profile type pic. I'm not complaining but it did surprise me.
However, I will say that the ones who are honored often by having their pics on the front page are excellent photographers, we know who they are. I am just a point and shoot kind of guy and my pics are primarily for documenting a hike, a peak or a trip which has meaning to me. Having said that, SP is still the best thing since sliced bread and the ones who pick the pictures and stuff for the front page do a pretty doggone good job. A thankless task which they do willingly. Once again, thanks to the "elves" who operate behind the scenes to keep SP up and
running. I salute you.

I completely agree. This is most likely the best organized, structured and moderated, and - most importantly - interesting (as in wealth of good and relevant information) non profit seeking run website I know. As I pointed out in my first post I wasn't aiming at expressing critique about how the site is run, I was just ranting about how snapshots make it to photo of the day due to ppl's votes. If anything I'm questioning human nature but that's a never ending one :p

Also true about informational pictures which I have posted myself. From what I see we have two breeds of relevant pictures here, informational and let me call them inspirational. I find both of equal importance. First get your appetite then plan a trip.

//EDIT: oh yea plus a third breed for merry Christmas greetings kind of images which obviously are not the snapshot type of images I was talking about. It actually amused me when I saw that one made it to picture of the day.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:24 am

rpc wrote:yes - i wait to sunset and face west to illuminate bee sting and highlight the beauty of the intimate moment. yes I do. i say little prayer & upload. still no pow!

Your problems occur because you are often in Red Rock, where the routes face east.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:32 am

MarkDidier wrote: My advice is to grab one of your favorite beverages, sit back and do some reading on these Forums and get in some good laughs along the way (with the large number of Forum threads on POTD, it may take more than one beverage.

I have a "special" tub of popcorn and a well-stocked fridge of very cold beverages.

For the Christmas Season, I add some rum & eggnog to take the nip out of the air.

:lol:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:41 am

Here's an illustration of the weirdness of voting. I thought, "wouldn't it be cool to (jokingly) solicit votes for RPC, say for this photo:
http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... _id=288538

So he could get his first POTW?"

Then I realized that someone actually voted down the picture of his swollen ankle, so that photo will never have a chance.

I'm guessing that he submitted a picture of his ankles to make a point about injury, to give life to a TR, not to impress us with aesthetics.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:20 am

MoapaPk wrote:Here's an illustration of the weirdness of voting. I thought, "wouldn't it be cool to (jokingly) solicit votes for RPC, say for this photo:

Then I realized that someone actually voted down the picture of his swollen ankle, so that photo will never have a chance.

I'm guessing that he submitted a picture of his ankles to make a point about injury, to give life to a TR, not to impress us with aesthetics.

What? Somebody actually "down-voted" on Radek's ankle ??? That's really messed up.

I've been one of the FIRST 10/10 voters for Shirley and Blondie every time !!!

Too bad Radek didn't thrill us with some "garter-belt" action... then it woulda been POTW
for sure !!!

:wink:

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:44 am

phlipdascrip wrote:
sarah.simon wrote:Where's the "11" button on my keyboard??? 8)

Try voting 1, twice.

MoapaPk wrote:It is good to remember that many pictures uploaded to SP are intended to illustrate a route or the typical characteristics, flora and fauna of a mountain or rock. A west-facing mountain presents the prettiest picture when the sun is shining on it in the evening; but that is not how it will look when you are trying to pick out the route at 6AM, when you head east into the dark shadows for the climb.

For the summit of Grand Teton, we started from the Lower Saddle at 03:40, and there is a bunch of class-2, 3, and 4 with a bit of route-finding issues on the approach. This photo best describes the route appearance at the correct time of day:

Just teasing, MoapaPk.

rpc

by rpc » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:08 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Here's an illustration of the weirdness of voting. I thought, "wouldn't it be cool to (jokingly) solicit votes for RPC, say for this photo:

Moapa - I appreciate your efforts even if this (persistent) ankle swelling had dropped me to a 9 (solid 9) on like the fabulousness scale.

Another photo that slipped through the cracks - check it:

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=582628&type=vote_comments&discussion_id=355863#355863

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:07 pm

lcarreau wrote:

What? Somebody actually "down-voted" on Radek's ankle ??? That's really messed up.

Yeah, it's almost as unjust as the folks who voted 10 for his face shots.

:twisted:

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:08 pm

2_climbaxes wrote:If you have a good photo and don't want it to go unnoticed:

1) Change your profile gender to female
2) Put up a photo of a "heathy" female as your profile photo

You'll have 50 10's in an hour even if you only take a picture of a map.

Bingo!!! :lol:

ClimbandBike

by ClimbandBike » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:18 pm

rpc wrote:yes, sometimes a masterpiece slips through the cracks -- you mustn't be too angry or disillusioned with this world, but I tell you this: the piece below was never a photo of the week!

OUTRAGE!

You may have been overlooked for POTD but word is 'Climber Boy' magazine wants you for their next climber's cubicle pin-up.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:45 pm

ClimbandBike wrote:
rpc wrote:yes, sometimes a masterpiece slips through the cracks -- you mustn't be too angry or disillusioned with this world, but I tell you this: the piece below was never a photo of the week!

OUTRAGE!

You may have been overlooked for POTD but word is 'Climber Boy' magazine wants you for their next climber's cubicle pin-up.

Which of course brings us back to the

2010 Men of SummitPost Calendar
Volunteers?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:47 pm

Day Hiker wrote:
For the summit of Grand Teton, we started from the Lower Saddle at 03:40, and there is a bunch of class-2, 3, and 4 with a bit of route-finding issues on the approach. This photo best describes the route appearance at the correct time of day:

Thread Hijack!

Six weeks back, I started out a 3:40 AM alone on a crude two-track, heading west into the Panamints. Every time I went by a bluff, I roared as loud as I could, on the theory that I would addle any mountain lion waiting to pounce. I did this 10-20 times in 3 miles, and the whole canyon would echo.

When I came back at the end of the day, I realized that some people had been camped in that stretch. They had taken a Jeep Wrangler past where I was willing to drive. I wonder how well they slept between 4 and 5 AM.

OK, back to P&M r.e. POTW.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:52 pm

sarah.simon wrote:Which of course brings us back to the

2010 Men of SummitPost Calendar
Volunteers?

You must know by now that men on this site are far too modest.

Is grey chest hair OK (on men)?

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback