North Face sues South Butt

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
asmrz

by asmrz » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:44 am

For what it's worth, Penelope searched high and wide for a 300 pile jacket that would replace her Windstopper jacket which is not warm enough for her. TNF Denali hooded jacket turned out to be the best made (by far) of the few of those jackets on the market. The NF always had good tents and reasonable sleeping bags and yes, they made enough dough over the years to be a bit forgiving and to have more sense of humor.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:11 am

I must confess, I own one. I bought it about a year ago on SAC, and have only worn it once. I'm going to try to sell it on ebay. Luckily I didn't pay full price for that joint!

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:31 am

I have 2 TNF wicker shirts and a 550 filled down jacket I got from dicks for 80 bucks. I feel kinda embarrassed sometimes when I wear the shirts. Jacket is alright I guess but I don't have a hood :(

kiwiw

by kiwiw » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:20 am

your not a girl in high school if you don't have a TNF Denali jacket. seriously, and at least one pair of stretchy yoga pants...

mmmmmmmm...... stretchy yoga pants......

Gafoto

by Gafoto » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Chewbacca wrote:Does anybody actually buy TNF clothing for outdoor use? I know the VE-25 is still great, but haven't they gone more or less main-stream when it comes to clothing?

I have a pair of lightweight hiking pants I bought on sale at Dicks earlier this year. I went to visit some friends after doing a section of the AT and one of the of guys girlfriends (who owns a Denali fleece and UGG boots) was shocked to see them. She said "I didn't even know The North Face made pants, those are so cool!" :roll:

Next thing you know, 85L internal frame TNF backpacks are gonna be all the rage on college campuses.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:58 pm

Gafoto wrote:Next thing you know, 85L internal frame TNF backpacks are gonna be all the rage on college campuses.

Dang, I should have got one of those instead of my Osprey!

drpw

by drpw » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:49 pm

I disagree with what seems to be the common opinion here. TNF should protect it's hard earned reputation as a business and sue this kid. He's 18, legally an adult, should have (must have) known better, and should be made to stop his business. I'm sure that anyone here would probably feel the same if someone was infringing on something they had worked hard on, parody or not.

Mark Doiron

by Mark Doiron » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:07 pm

drpw wrote:I disagree with what seems to be the common opinion here. TNF should protect it's hard earned reputation as a business and sue this kid. ...

That's how the legal system works. Unfortunately for TNF is the fact that parody is allowed by that same legal system. So the only way they can really win is by intimidation--it doesn't seem to be working.

BTW: My son and I were just looking at some outdoor gear at a local outfitters the other day (Backwoods in Norman, OK). A lady was in the store to buy a gift. Based on the questions she was asking, she is not an outdoor person; she just wanted something chic. She was browsing a rack of TNF gear and asking the sales person a question here and there. Finally, the sales person told the lady, "If you want some really high quality gear, you really need to be looking over here", and pointed at a rack of Mountain Hardwear and Marmot gear. My son and I discussed it later and both feel the same: TNF has ruined its own reputation.

--mark d.

no avatar
Zzyzx

by Zzyzx » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:59 am

I have a few pieces of mostly older, nice quality TNF gear. Most of it I bought at the outlet or second hand.
In the last 10 years I noticed a big difference in quality of merchandise (wouldn't even call it gear anymore) sold at the TNF outlet in Berkeley. I'm sure you can find a few descent things, like Denali jacket, but most of it is crap (unless you're looking for a fashion statement). I don't even bother to go there anymore more than once or twice a year and usually walk out empty-handed.
Shame of them for going after this kid with a great and funny idea. Hope this kind of publicity can help him, but it can only hurt TNF.

bird

by bird » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:28 pm

I have a 5 year old TNF pack that's been great. Got a Golite last year, used it for one climb and then returned it when a strap and buckle broke on the first trip. The NF pack is a bit heavy, but otherwise great.
As for the South Butt. The test for the lawsuit is confusion. Will anyone confuse "The North Face" With "The South Butt" I don't think so. Also, there's a company out there called "South Pole" Why isn't TNF suing them?

Corax

by Corax » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Hmmm.
TNF would love the Lhasa outdoor market. And so would Columbia and Victorinox :D

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:30 pm

Hortn will hear who? TNF lawyers!

Alan Ellis

by Alan Ellis » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:57 pm

We have three old style Mountain Light jackets from about 10 years ago and they are pretty good. My old NF Redpoint jacket is one of my favorite pieces of gear. But....the NF Cat's Meow bag I used to have is the worst piece of sh*t bag ever made.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:02 pm

I think girls who wear TNF jackets and fleece tops are hot :oops:

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:17 pm

My husband, wrote this to me yesterday: (thought it was funny)

NOW I WISHED I PRACTICED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW. HERE'S THE BEST LINE:

In The South Butt's online disclaimer, the company distances itself from The North Face, concluding: "If you are unable to discern the difference between a face and a butt, we encourage you to buy North Face products."

PreviousNext

Return to News