2day climb in a 7 hour radius from DC something challenging?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
gcap

by gcap » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:05 pm

lots of ideas, but people will need to know what you mean by 'climb' and 'challenging'. everyone has there own definition...

also, hate to be one of those guys, but did you try a search? lots of info to get you started.
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/
you can click advanced and enter criteria such as 'distance from', 'activity type', etc..

CheesySciFi

by CheesySciFi » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:32 pm

Seneca Rocks in West Virginia might be worth trying. There are plenty of Class 5 routes to the top.

gcap

Re: thanks gcap

by gcap » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:40 pm

amidadake wrote:thanks gcap.
I really want to CLIMB A MOUNTAIN, I have been using the search engine and havent find any CHALLENGING mountains around here.
with the search engine you can search by score rate but it is based on how pretty this wonderful places are no in the score of difficulty.
I lived in spain and argentina where I used to go to 5k meters and recently did couple 4300s in japan on winter, solo.
I would love to do the president transverse or go to north carolina but is too far for just three days.
Sough if you or somebody know if, around the dc area, are there some routes, that are more then a hike I would be welcome to follow the advise.
thanks very much
Martin
PD: obviously my first language is not english.

Agree with previous post on Seneca Rocks.

Sounds like you're looking for something more technical. As far as "mountains" go, your choices are probably limited around the D.C. area. Here's a listing of Mountains within 500 miles, sorted by height. http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.p ... =elevation
you'll have the get creative and make your own "challenge" though.
Check out the Delaware Water Gap, lots of "challenges" there this time of year. Also you may find something that suits you in the New York Catskill Range. Look at a winter traverse of Wittenberg, Cornell, Slide and Panther. That would be a nice challenging, semi-technical, 2 day loop with plenty of camp sites along the way.

Good luck!

climbhighnow

by climbhighnow » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:35 pm

not to pee on your parade, but you're simply not going to find what you are looking for. There are no 2/3 day climbs within 6 hours of D.C. simply because the mountains are not big enough.
Not sure of your grades, or how much you like to suffer, but if you're looking to remain on a technical route for 2 days, you could bivy on the Seneca "Trail": a 40 pitch circumnavigation of seneca rocks. It's detailed in Tony Barnes' guidebook. Please post a report if you decide to go this route. Best of luck!

chrisferro

North Face of Gothic

by chrisferro » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:31 am

You could try the north face of Gothic. It's up in the 'Daks and about 8 hours away. Pretty fun and not hard. The approach/descent is long enough that you could camp or stay in one of the lean-to's. Search for it and check it out.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)