AT Set-up for Newbie

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:42 am

Now we are commenting that G-12's are heavy ass steel crampons and are useless.

Of course you Aplynisto, would wear Aluminum Pons on Mixed WI3 and greater Alpine/Ice routes, right!

As far as Ramers and their spiral fracture record, call this Femur, Fib/ Tib and complete Knee Ski Injury specific Ortho Expert who dealt with their malfunctions for over 7 years. He will be more than glad to lend you some first hand "published" stories...

Dr. Michael Karch
Mammoth Sierra Ortho/Sports Med Ctr
760-934-4084

BTW...
Koflach Arctis: 2500 grams per pr
Scarpa Inverno's: 2640 grams per pr
G-Sugars: 3090 grams per pr (w/Thermo's)
G- Adrenalin: 3470 grams per pr (w/Thermo's)

"Anyone that is contemplating skiing down anything over 10 degs in Mountaineering Boots that ARE NOT designed for AT skiing, is asking for a potentially severe lower extremity injury!"
Dr. Karch less than 15 mins ago by phone.

Skiing mag is an Alpine generic piece of propaganda shit that is printed in Hong Kong.

You want AT & Tele Expert Specific Info, go here....

Backcountry Magazine which formerly was Couloir Magazine. Written by AT and Tele experts.

BTW: The idea that I posted regarding the heavy ass set up... that was no other than this Late Great Legends actual rig idea before he died, not mine! He had an awesome article on it in the Jan '06 edition of Backcountry Mag.

I guess he too was giving out.."dick-waving bad advice".

Doug Coombs 1957-2006

Here he is on his..."A heavy ass boot like Adrenalin with heavy steel crampons is silly at best" Rig. But what the fk did he know, right Alpynisto?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:41 am

FortMental wrote:So...let me get this straight. He's soloing with a harness on?

Yeah... Alex Lowe did it often as well. There a problem with that?

Here's Alex and Doug doing the gig with AT specific boots & bindings. But what did they know, Right?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:04 am

Maybe not.. but they didn't nor ever did use the Ramer set up either. The knew better.

Coombs Quote from the Nov/Dec '94 R&I AT Review ...

"Going Steep, more than 10-15 degs, don't even think about the Ramer's!"

Deb

by Deb » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:03 am

MarthaP wrote:What's really flippin' funny about this thread is that the OP asked for opinions from the LADIES and got a majority of testosterone driven prating from the guys.

Figures. Go beat your chests elsewhere, boys. Women do things differently, if you hadn't noticed. :roll:

Deb, I've skied for a lot longer than most people on this thread but NOT Chief. I am completely supportive of what he suggests because what he offers is intellegent and sensible.

Everything else is just masturbation.

Come ski in CO sometime, too. You're more than welcome here.

Sharp girl! I know the boys are trying to help, I do appreciate the posts although don't much thought or weight on them. Since I know Chief, I trust his advice and instinct. Thanks for the support Martha.....and I just might take you up on that offer! :D

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:12 am

My final word on all this Deb....

Don't take my word on any of this stuff.

Instead, I highly recommend that you personally speak to either, Autumn, Zak, John, Bill or Trevor at MMS. They know all about all the new AT stuff and which will be best for your needs.

They truly are the current Eastern Sierra AT sales experts.

And please, do not rent anything from REI before speaking to the folks up here at MMS.

Mammoth Mountaineering Supply

Deb

by Deb » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

The Chief wrote:My final word on all this Deb....

Don't take my word on any of this stuff.

Instead, I highly recommend that you personally speak to either, Autumn, Zak, John, Bill or Trevor at MMS. They know all about all the new AT stuff and which will be best for your needs.

They truly are the current Eastern Sierra AT sales experts.

And please, do not rent anything from REI before speaking to the folks up here at MMS.

Mammoth Mountaineering Supply

I plan on heading to MMS on the 29th, hope there's still plenty of snow to practice in. Thanks Chief!

Really appreciate everyone's thought, comments and advice. Thanks SP clan!

Scott M.

by Scott M. » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:14 am

Deb,
I was talking to Autumn at MMS today and new gear should be in over the next few weeks. She thought the new BD product line would be there by 11/1. Dynafit before that. I am also about in the same buying stage as you. Even though MMS rents their new gear (rental $ applied to buy) she did mention the new stuff isn't for rent until the snow on the mountain is covering well. Guess they don't want folks using their new gear as rock skis :!:

Others might be interested that they are taking over the old Taylor Family Shoe store in Bishop (east side of 395 near Willow) for a second store.

Deb

by Deb » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:20 am

Scott M. wrote:Deb,
I was talking to Autumn at MMS today and new gear should be in over the next few weeks. She thought the new BD product line would be there by 11/1. Dynafit before that. I am also about in the same buying stage as you. Even though MMS rents their new gear (rental $ applied to buy) she did mention the new stuff isn't for rent until the snow on the mountain is covering well. Guess they don't want folks using their new gear as rock skis :!:

Others might be interested that they are taking over the old Taylor Family Shoe store in Bishop (east side of 395 near Willow) for a second store.

That kinda blows regarding rentals and release dates. ARG! I'll be in Texas the first week of November.
Does the store in Bishop carry AT gear as well?

Scott M.

by Scott M. » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:25 am

If I understood her (Autumn) correctly the Bishop store will have a more limited inventory compared to Mammoth. Might be worth a call to the Mammoth store before you head there. Never know what might change between now and then.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:44 am

Deb...

The Bishop store only has last years used DEMO stuff.

Be patient girl. Be patient....

When you come back from Texas, the time will be right. Looks like a series of storms will be coming through the last week of Oct through the 2nd week of Nov.

MMS generally keeps their Pre Season Sale going through Nov into the first week of Dec.

Be patient..

Deb

by Deb » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:35 am

This is it! Headed to MMS tomorrow. :D :D :D :D

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:47 am

See John Crowley or Bill.

Let em know that I sent ya.

I will be back in town in the afternoon.

You might want to stop at the Bishop store first and have a looksee at all that they have there as well.

Are ya going skiing on Monday?

Let me know and we can hook up for some turns. Will be on the hill at Chair 1 at 830ish.

Do you need a place to stay????

Deb

by Deb » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:01 am

The Chief wrote:See John Crowley or Bill.

Let em know that I sent ya.

I will be back in town in the afternoon.

You might want to stop at the Bishop store first and have a looksee at all that they have there as well.

Are ya going skiing on Monday?

Let me know and we can hook up for some turns. Will be on the hill at Chair 1 at 830ish.

Do you need a place to stay????

I am giving myself 2 days to figure out the gear, so I may be looking you and Michelle up Sunday nite. If I'm happy with gear on Sunday, I just may jet home since I don't get to look at Dave much lately. Should be in Mammoth by 10AM on Sunday.
Would love to see you guys!

Deb

by Deb » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:42 am

MISSION COMPLETE
All 20% off at MMS, I came home with ZZero4 PQ boots, Dynafit bindings, Seven summit skiis, Dynafit skins and crampons, and Black Diamond poles. Love em! Tried em out on several runs at Mammoth this morning with Chief; and of course I received a few tips on technique - well worth the trip.
Great weekend spent "up there" in the hills, on a hill, and some quality time with Chief and lovely Michele. Thanks guys!

thexcat

by thexcat » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:50 am

Deb wrote:MISSION COMPLETE
All 20% off at MMS, I came home with ZZero4 PQ boots, Dynafit bindings, Seven summit skiis, Dynafit skins and crampons, and Black Diamond poles. Love em! Tried em out on several runs at Mammoth this morning with Chief; and of course I received a few tips on technique - well worth the trip.
Great weekend spent "up there" in the hills, on a hill, and some quality time with Chief and lovely Michele. Thanks guys!

Deb, if you don't mind my asking, what made you decide to choose dynafit over fritschi? Did you end up purchasing your new gear in Mammoth Lakes then? I've been following this thread and am in a similar situation. I'm leaning towards the fritschi since I might do a bit of resort skiing. And the release mechanism on the dynafit kind of freaks me out. Though they are super light weight and that is definitely good....

I'm heading up 395 later this week and might stop in Bishop or Mammoth to look at some used equipment.

Enjoy the skis!

PreviousNext

Return to Gear