Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Expedition planning

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Postby stormflap » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:09 pm

check out the MSR fury. its bigger and lighter than the mountain25. the fury is 94 inches long on the interior. the mountain is only 80. fury has a bigger vestibule. my personal choice would be the single wall eldorado from black diamond. the bibler toddtex fabric is bomber. i believe the dimensions are about the same as the fury on the smaller side. as far as pack.. id love to have the gregory whitney 95 when i have the mulah.

packing small...
i take my 3/4 inflatable, 20 degree down bag, 1p tent and gcloth and put it all in one compression sack and get it as small as possible (about 3/4 the size of a basketball when im done). i mean rele rele small... i can backpack a week out of my 2950ci gregory gpack. ive never had to sacrafice anything to make it work either. the compression sack key or it wouldnt work.
stormflap

Postby gert » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:27 pm

As others said - the mountain 25 is far to heavy if you are going alone. If you are looking only for a short trips - a small solo tent like the Akto is great!. For long trips I would look for a light and small 2 person tent. I used the TNF Westwind for a long time and replaced it now by MH EV direct 2. A lot of space, easy setup and sturdy. The Hilleberg Soulo is also a very good and spacy solo tent.
Gert
gert

Postby kevin trieu » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:31 pm

leaving the sleeping pad at home on a long winter trip is terrible advice.
kevin trieu

Postby DanielWade » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:06 pm

I agree with Kevin. I take two pads in the winter (Prolite 4 regular and 3/4 Z-Rest) and still can use a 55L pack for winter technical trips. It's less of an issue of leaving things behind than having the lightest gear. I picked up a Western Mountaineering Antelope sleeping bag, BD Firstlight Tent and a comfy pair of La Sportiva Nepal EVO boots which collectively saved me a ton of weight and bulk in my pack and eliminated the need for more than one pair of boots.
DanielWade

Postby Alpinisto » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:05 pm

DanielWade wrote:I agree with Kevin. I take two pads in the winter (Prolite 4 regular and 3/4 Z-Rest) and still can use a 55L pack for winter technical trips.

Interesting.

My winter setup is the inverse: a full lenth Ridgerest and a 3/4 length Prolite 4. Do they make 3/4 length Z-Rests or did you just hack a full size one down?

Regardless, I concur that omitting the sleeping pad is a bad idea for winter camping.
Alpinisto

Postby paisajeroamericano » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:36 pm

i also usually question the conventional wisdom of carrying a voluminous (albeit lightweight) sleeping pad on back-country forays - personally, i find zero added comfort from such pads on the vast majority of substrates - so for me, warmth is the only factor - my criteria are snow or extreme cold - if i am literally going to be sleeping on top of the snow or i anticipate temperatures significantly less than 20 F, then i bring a cheap blue foam pad (lightest weight, but least comfortable?) - even for lengthier trips in wet conditions hovering around the freezing mark, i will omit the pad, but agreed that for true winter conditions, the warmth factor is critical - the sleeping pad is not heavy and is easy to throw into your car and later attach to your backpack - however, if traveling for example, by buses in latin america, the extra space from a pad strapped to the outside of a pack can be a huge inconvenience

returning to the OP's question, dropping the spare boots should help - i also own a TNF 25 tent and find that i never use it because its so dang heavy and i generally travel solo - i just invested in a black diamond single wall tent that weighs 1/3 as much as the north face tent - there are plenty of reasonably sturdy tents coming in at 5 lbs and under, but they aren't cheap and they still generally aren't quite as bomber as your current digs - a good down sleeping bag (850+ fill) should also help considerably - plus, for example, a high end 0 F down bag (WM, FF, etc) should be nearly as warm as your -20 F REI bag and the weight/space differential will even allow you to bring an extra warm layer if necessary - of course good down also is not cheap - anyway, good luck - just try dropping items one at a time so you can make sure you are reducing weight responsibly without giving up too much comfort/safety
paisajeroamericano

Postby kozman18 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:45 pm

DanielWade wrote:I take two pads in the winter (Prolite 4 regular and 3/4 Z-Rest) and still can use a 55L pack for winter technical trips.

I had that combo, too. Then I switched to an Exped downmat. Heavier than a Prolite or Z-Rest, but (if I did my math right) lighter than the combination of the two, and a better overall insulation (R) rating. And a downmat is much smaller than the two put together. I think the price of the downmat vs. the Prolite/Z-rest combo may be comparable depends on sale prices).

Just an idea.
kozman18

Postby DanielWade » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:27 pm

I used an Exped and I liked it for a a few trips but one time if deflated due to a hole and I didn't like the idea that I didn't have the Z-Rest just in case. I've also found the Z-Rest to be nice for standing around and sitting at camp. I bought a full-length one and cut it in half and gave it to my partner so I have a 1/2 Z-Rest not a 3/4, sorry.
DanielWade

Postby Brad Marshall » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:13 pm

Given the previous posts some of you probably won't like my set up. On big expeditions I take three pads, a Z-Rest for the bottom, a full-length Prolite 4 in the middle and a 3/4 length 1/4" closed cell foam pad for the top. Nothing better for me than getting a good night sleep. The top pad gives me that added comfort while preventing my sleeping bag from spinning around me during the night which is a bonus. That said, all my pads go on the outside of my bag and I can still take enough gear/food for a technical route on Aconcagua using a 66 liter pack. There are plenty of other ways to save on weight.
Brad Marshall

Postby twobadfish » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:52 pm

A lot of good info in here about gear..

It seems I'm in need of more gear :D

I think I'm going to start looking for a light, 1-person 4-season tent and a 0* sleeping bag. Remove the 2nd pair of boots and I should be able to drop ~12 pounds.
twobadfish

Previous

Return to General