Rock pro in Huntington Ravine?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Greeneggs

Rock pro in Huntington Ravine?

by Greeneggs » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:12 am

Planning a 4 day climbing weekend in Feb and wondering aside from ice screws and pickets, what rock pro (and size) I should rack up (cams, pitons, nuts, etc)? May climb a few different gullies and routes in the ravine and want to be prepared for any of them. Thanks!

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:55 am

I've only used ice screws (4-5) and pickets (1) in Pinnacle, Yale and Damnation Gully. I've taken a set of rocks, #3 to 8, but never used them. If you look closely there is some rock protection left in place by the local guides (Pinnacle and Damnation).

Have fun and safe climbing.

no avatar
bdynkin

by bdynkin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:05 pm

Brad Marshall wrote:If you look closely there is some rock protection left in place by the local guides (Pinnacle and Damnation).

Don't count on fixed pro in February - most likely it will be under ice/snow. Screws and pickets shoud be all you need in February although a few nuts/cams is OK to take along just in case.

Greeneggs

by Greeneggs » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:07 pm

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. At least for my first gulley ascent, I'll probably take a piton or two, a couple of cams and a few nuts to put my mind at ease.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:25 pm

http://www.rockandsnow.com/store/produc ... ICE-PITON/

No experience placing rock pro in the gullies, but this thing is what you want for frozen-together chossy rock like shows up a lot in the Whites. When the ice won't take screws and the rock won't take nuts, both will take this. Having one on your rack can take a load off your mind in tight spots.

brokesomeribs

by brokesomeribs » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:11 am

Autoxfil wrote:http://www.rockandsnow.com/store/product/1329/BLACK-DIAMOND-SPECTRE-ICE-PITON/

No experience placing rock pro in the gullies, but this thing is what you want for frozen-together chossy rock like shows up a lot in the Whites. When the ice won't take screws and the rock won't take nuts, both will take this. Having one on your rack can take a load off your mind in tight spots.

A Spectre will only put your mind at east if you're foolish enough to actually believe it will hold. Craig Luebben couldn't get one to hold much more than 5 Kn (about 1200 lb-f) in his testing. Make sure to use a screamer and pound the ever-loving $h!t out of it.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:38 pm

brokesomeribs wrote:
Autoxfil wrote:http://www.rockandsnow.com/store/product/1329/BLACK-DIAMOND-SPECTRE-ICE-PITON/

A Spectre will only put your mind at east if you're foolish enough to actually believe it will hold. Craig Luebben couldn't get one to hold much more than 5 Kn (about 1200 lb-f) in his testing. Make sure to use a screamer and pound the ever-loving $h!t out of it.

Is that in his Mountaineering Handbook? I hadn't seen that testing info, but it's good to know. I do bury it to the hilt and use a screamer, like most ice placements.

brokesomeribs

by brokesomeribs » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:25 pm

Autoxfil wrote:
brokesomeribs wrote:

Is that in his Mountaineering Handbook? I hadn't seen that testing info, but it's good to know. I do bury it to the hilt and use a screamer, like most ice placements.

It's in his "How To Ice Climb" book. I bought it a couple months ago on Amazon for $7. It shows up at my door, I open the front cover, and it's signed by the man himself. I was a bit floored. RIP Craig.

I just double checked - page 155 has the results. Most began to lever out at 400lbs. The weakest failure was at 600 lbs, with a couple making it up 1600 lbs. The major qualifier, however, is that they were in ice. Not turf, frozen dirt, etc. I have not seen any quantitative testing for those.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)