Relocating to CA need some input on some areas

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:01 pm

scottmitch wrote:I was checking out Davis which looks nice and am getting a little sticker shock on the housing. Is $300/ SF pretty typical of the region or is Davis on the high side? Welcome to CA i suppose...

$300k ? Unless you live in the boonies or less desirable areas, my guess is that there aren't too many places in Cali that sell houses much cheaper. In coastal OC, you'd drop 700k to a million for a house :shock:

Even around Lone Pine, it's still about 200k for something decent. There's a reason people move to AZ. They all seem to come back eventually though :D

scottmitch

by scottmitch » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:10 pm

Luciano136 wrote:
scottmitch wrote:I was checking out Davis which looks nice and am getting a little sticker shock on the housing. Is $300/ SF pretty typical of the region or is Davis on the high side? Welcome to CA i suppose...

$300k ? Unless you live in the boonies or less desirable areas, my guess is that there aren't too many places in Cali that sell houses much cheaper. In coastal OC, you'd drop 700k to a million for a house :shock:

Even around Lone Pine, it's still about 200k for something decent. There's a reason people move to AZ. They all seem to come back eventually though :D

I meant they were going around $300 per square foot... like a 2000 sf house was getting around $600K

gordonye

by gordonye » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:22 pm

Depends on the area.
Zillow has median value per sq ft listed for each city and each metro area of the country:

Sacramento metro: $139/sf, Sac city: $126/sf, Davis: $277/sf

Vallejo metro: $134/sf, Benicia: $211/sf

Napa metro: $290/sf

Santa Rosa metro (Sonoma county): $236/sf

Marin county: Novato: $283/sf, San Rafael: $377/sf, Mill Valley: $592/sf

I-680 corridor: Livermore: $250/sf, Martinez: $225/sf, Lafayette: $408/sf

Oakland area: Berkeley: $419/sf, Oakland: $255/sf, Fremont: $319/sf

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:39 pm

scottmitch wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:

I meant they were going around $300 per square foot... like a 2000 sf house was getting around $600K

Ah, gotcha!

the caddis

by the caddis » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:17 pm

thought i'd throw my 2 cents in here. i have lived in sacramento for 4 years (prior to that san diego for 6, and san francisco prior to that). i didnt have high hopes initially, but absolutely love this city, its very much a personal thing, but i'd place it at the top of my list amongst those places i have lived. the city itself has changed dramatically in the past 8 or so years and has become a very fun place to be. its size is perfect for me, i wouldnt want anything larger. i drive to SF all the time, Napa yup, shasta definitely, yosemite for sure, and with family in bishop i am there often. and even within the area close by i am constantly active with biking, fishing, etc. next year i have the option to move almost anywhere (SF, seattle, east coast), but the more i interview all around the country, the more i feel that sacramento already has all those things i am looking for in a city(great local food, 365 days a year CSA box, great road biking, decent close mtn biking, great flyfishing access, great skiing access, great mountain access from awesome peaks within 1.5hrs to incredible places within 5, distinct 4 seasons with great weather, great culture with access to world class culture, and diverse population)

Deb

by Deb » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:39 pm

Luciano136 wrote:

There's plenty of properties in SoCal that are going for less than $200K/SF. Check out the bazillion REOs!! And I'm talking homes built in early 2000's, over 2500SF. San Diego tends to be a bit higher than Riverside County, but they're definitely out there. I am on the MLS for both counties nearly every day and see the cheap activity.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:38 pm

Deb wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:

There's plenty of properties in SoCal that are going for less than $200K/SF. Check out the bazillion REOs!! And I'm talking homes built in early 2000's, over 2500SF. San Diego tends to be a bit higher than Riverside County, but they're definitely out there. I am on the MLS for both counties nearly every day and see the cheap activity.

Well, Riverside... :D

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:57 pm

Dataquick has a lots of info on residential real estate sales:

http://www.dqnews.com/

tslater

by tslater » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:12 am

There are perks to all of them.
However, to enjoy the most of California, think Central.
As in if you live down in SD you'll be far away from everything.
IF you live in Nor Cal you'll be far from all the stuff in So Cal.
Almost every place in California has something to offer.

When you get here, buy "California Road Trip - Climber's Guide Northern California"
It actually covers over half the state (over 100 crags) from the Kern River and Needles up to Oregon border. You can see a table of contents and sample pages here...

http://www.slatervision.com/id21.html

and it's super cheap going for $36 on barnes and noble.com

I hate to say it but Fresno puts you super close to Yosemite, the High Sierra, and Nor and So cal aren't an eternity away either. But forget surfing... although it's only 2.5 hours away!

EManBevHills

by EManBevHills » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:32 am

Rent.

no avatar
klk

by klk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Sorry to tell you this, but 3 bills is basically public housing. The Bay Area is one of the most expensive places to live in the world. Davis is vastly less expensive than most of SF/East Bay, which is where I now live. Of course, it's also a lot frickin flatter, and much more of a cow town suburb than, say, Tucson.

Prices will correlate pretty closely with good school districts and ease of access. I would strongly recommend renting for the first 12 months or so. Real estate here is really complicated-- neighborhoods are often not what they would seem at first sight. It'll take awhile for you to get oriented, especially to the school districts and finer points of mountain commuting.

For instance, on paper, NorCal looks closer to the mountains than SoCal. And during the summer, that's sort of true, so long as you aren't focused on the highest peaks in the southern end of the range. But after 120 closes for the year, it's easier to get to Bishop from LA than from SF.

Previous

Return to California