where does the route start?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
radson

by radson » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:36 am

Tim Mcartney-Snape climbed Everest from the Bay of Bengal in 1990 and in 2006, a group rode and climbed Everest from the Dead Sea.

http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/climbing-from-dead-sea-to-summit-of.html

Guyzo

Re: where does the route start?

by Guyzo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:37 pm

MikeTX wrote:if i'm climbing mount hood does the route start at the timberline lodge or above the ski lift? why not at the base of the mountain in government camp?

what about everest? does it start at base camp or kathmandu? or does it start where you can afford to land your chopper?

what about climbing routes that have a 5th class approach? why is that not part of the route?

It is. The climb starts in your brain.

Dave Daly

by Dave Daly » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:10 pm

Guyzo wrote:
MikeTX wrote:if i'm climbing mount hood does the route start at the timberline lodge or above the ski lift? why not at the base of the mountain in government camp?

what about everest? does it start at base camp or kathmandu? or does it start where you can afford to land your chopper?

what about climbing routes that have a 5th class approach? why is that not part of the route?

Unless, of course, it has been clouded by the numbing "touch" of MJ, eh Guyzo? :lol: :lol:

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:34 pm

Dave Daly wrote:
Guyzo wrote:

Unless, of course, it has been clouded by the numbing "touch" of MJ, eh Guyzo? :lol: :lol:

Dave...?????? To cryptic. please explain yourself. :? :? :? :? :?

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:02 pm

MikeTX wrote:
Guyzo wrote:
Dave Daly wrote:
Guyzo wrote:

guy, i think he's talkin about dear ms mary.

That helps with the wild ass dreaming..... of climbs to do.

But Mike.... why would a climb with 5th class approach start higher?

Unless your talking about weenee "climbers" who make wild ass clams about "doing" a climb when in fact they only do a small part of it. ............

:wink:

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:21 pm

MikeTX wrote:
Guyzo wrote:
MikeTX wrote:
Guyzo wrote:
Dave Daly wrote:
Guyzo wrote:

guy, i think he's talkin about dear ms mary.

That helps with the wild ass dreaming..... of climbs to do.

But Mike.... why would a climb with 5th class approach start higher?

Unless your talking about weenee "climbers" who make wild ass clams about "doing" a climb when in fact they only do a small part of it. ............

:wink:

i don't think so. these would be sportish rock routes. bold dudes with 25+ years of climbing just go right up the 5.easy stuff to get to the start of "the route".

they yelled back, "hey, mike. we're gonna belay you up to here." i didn't mind too much, but ya know, i felt like the "weenee" as you put it. later as i was shooting the breeze about all this, i had more than one climber say that the approach was low fifth class.

Mike.... I didn't mean "weenee" as "low skill level", rather I was thinking about this little scenario. A true story by the way.

At one of our local climbing "spots".... Suicide Rock....on the climb "Hades".. 5.12 something 8)

A very famous, rock-mag cover boy blew into town to climb this root... for the mag and photographer, they rapped in to avoid the "real crux" of the climb.... the 5.11 R stuff down on pitch #1...... that is a good example of a "weenee"

Another good example: Folks who "climb" Mt. Robson after flying to the "Dome" ....1/2 way up the climb. :wink:

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:04 pm

MikeTX wrote:guy, gotcha.

i guess i'm just wondering why the first 20 feet of 5.easy was not considered the beginning of said route. just depends on who did the FA i guess.

hmmm...houston to whitney's summit. now thars an idea!

Mike Tx.... In Josh it is very common to find a root graded lets say 5.8..... you read the description in the "Book" ..... do some hard moves to get to the crack, then climb 5.8 to the top.... the hard moves can be like 5.10... it's weird but true. It's not uncommon to do a "boulder problem" to start a climb.

erykmynn

by erykmynn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:34 pm

Guyzo wrote:
MikeTX wrote:guy, gotcha.

i guess i'm just wondering why the first 20 feet of 5.easy was not considered the beginning of said route. just depends on who did the FA i guess.

hmmm...houston to whitney's summit. now thars an idea!

Mike Tx.... In Josh it is very common to find a root graded lets say 5.8..... you read the description in the "Book" ..... do some hard moves to get to the crack, then climb 5.8 to the top.... the hard moves can be like 5.10... it's weird but true. It's not uncommon to do a "boulder problem" to start a climb.

haha.... always fun when just getting on the rock is half the battle!

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander