Figuring things out on your own

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
MarthaP

Figuring things out on your own

by MarthaP » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:28 am

There's yet (again) a thread in the Colorado forum asking which is what, where it is, and how can I do it. It's starting to sound like a broken record - same question, same question, same question.

No research, no intelligent queries, just a general laissez-faire and please tell me what I want to know because I'm too FRIKKIN' lazy to figure it out on my own.

What has happened to us? Have we stopped reading? Do folks no longer take pride in learning on their own? It's not as if the information isn't available - anything anyone needs to know about Colorado peaks is pretty much here in SP. So why bother to file trip reports and post valuable information if it's not going to be accessed? What in the heck is Google about? Is it so tough to punch a few keywords into the search box?

I wrote an online column for a couple of years about ski resorts, first in CA, then when I moved to CO about the resorts here. I covered a lot of material, but it was well-organized, brief, and easy to figure out.

My email address was part of the information and I'd get myriad correspondences asking questions. The most asked question? "Where can I get cheap lift tickets to Vail?"

It was pretty clear that all my research and information was a waste of time. It was clear no one read the posts and, out of sheer laziness, wanted a quick answer without doing their own research. So I quit the newsletter out of frustration.

In my mind if people are too lazy or stupid to research and come up with their own conclusions then I sure as HELL don't want to be out and about with them. If they can't figure things out online, what can I expect from them out in the field?

Research FIRST, then ask INTELLIGENT questions.

Off my soapbox now.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:44 am

That post is kinda long; could you summarize in 140 bytes or fewer?

:)

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:47 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:50 am

Too long, no read.

I mean TL,NR

:twisted::lol:

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:50 am

I'm thinking about climbing Grays Peak this summer. Where can I find a good guide?

zenalpinist

by zenalpinist » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:19 am

I'd like to do something sometime that might take place somewhere that isn't where I am presently at. I'm not sure what this will be but I hope that someone might have some leads that might produce some information that would be helpful in this endeavor.

:?

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:29 am

Martha, I'm reminded how many times I have to answer the same couple of questions about exams. One kid will ask, "How many true-false questions?" and then the very next kid will ask the exact same thing.

I'm polite, but the students laugh at the clueless ones for me.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:38 am

Arthur Digbee wrote:Martha, I'm reminded how many times I have to answer the same couple of questions about exams. One kid will ask, "How many true-false questions?" and then the very next kid will ask the exact same thing.

I tend to give different answers to see if my students are paying attention!

silversummit

by silversummit » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:58 am

mconnell wrote:
Arthur Digbee wrote:Martha, I'm reminded how many times I have to answer the same couple of questions about exams. One kid will ask, "How many true-false questions?" and then the very next kid will ask the exact same thing.

I tend to give different answers to see if my students are paying attention!

Did all the above plus I pointed to the board, the walls, the ceiling, another student or just shrugged my shoulders. The message would eventually get through.....even to middle schoolers.

Oh, I forgot. Once when I was about 8 months pregnant I pointed to my stomach and said "Ask this one!."

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:07 am

zenalpinist wrote:I'd like to do something sometime that might take place somewhere that isn't where I am presently at. I'm not sure what this will be but I hope that someone might have some leads that might produce some information that would be helpful in this endeavor.

Secor says you just follow the obvious weakness to a ledge system.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:55 am

... So anyway, what is elbert like in June or july?

fossana

by fossana » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:06 am

MoapaPk wrote:
zenalpinist wrote:I'd like to do something sometime that might take place somewhere that isn't where I am presently at. I'm not sure what this will be but I hope that someone might have some leads that might produce some information that would be helpful in this endeavor.

It goes at class 5.

zenalpinist

by zenalpinist » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 am

fossana wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:

It goes at class 5.

What sort of rope will I need for that?

cp0915

by cp0915 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Is it still climbing if I use a guide?

WoundedKnee

Re: Figuring things out on your own

by WoundedKnee » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:23 pm

MarthaP wrote:There's yet (again) a thread in the Colorado forum asking which is what, where it is, and how can I do it. It's starting to sound like a broken record - same question, same question, same question.

No research, no intelligent queries, just a general laissez-faire and please tell me what I want to know because I'm too FRIKKIN' lazy to figure it out on my own.

What has happened to us? Have we stopped reading? Do folks no longer take pride in learning on their own? It's not as if the information isn't available - anything anyone needs to know about Colorado peaks is pretty much here in SP. So why bother to file trip reports and post valuable information if it's not going to be accessed? What in the heck is Google about? Is it so tough to punch a few keywords into the search box?

I wrote an online column for a couple of years about ski resorts, first in CA, then when I moved to CO about the resorts here. I covered a lot of material, but it was well-organized, brief, and easy to figure out.

My email address was part of the information and I'd get myriad correspondences asking questions. The most asked question? "Where can I get cheap lift tickets to Vail?"

It was pretty clear that all my research and information was a waste of time. It was clear no one read the posts and, out of sheer laziness, wanted a quick answer without doing their own research. So I quit the newsletter out of frustration.

In my mind if people are too lazy or stupid to research and come up with their own conclusions then I sure as HELL don't want to be out and about with them. If they can't figure things out online, what can I expect from them out in the field?

Research FIRST, then ask INTELLIGENT questions.

Off my soapbox now.

To come to the defense of "kids these days," I think your perspective is skewed. You're not going to hear from the ones that "figure it out on their own," only the ones that are - as you put it - too lazy. This probably gives you the idea that "no one read the posts," when in fact I'd bet a sizeable majority figure things out on their own.

BTW, I also find it frustrating that some people post to the forums asking information that's easily accessible with five minutes and a little effort.

Next

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander