XC Backpacking & Mountaineering on Kerguelen Island

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Murph1

XC Backpacking & Mountaineering on Kerguelen Island

by Murph1 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:08 pm

Anyone on the net been to Kerguelen in the past five years. Read a recent article on a French Mountaineering Party which made the Second Ascent of Mt Ross 6430' and two other unclimbed peaks on the Mt Ross Ice Field. Since there is only one regular ship resuppling the research base three times a year from Reunion Island access is very limited to the island and preference is given on the ship to relatives of employees, and French citizens in the research community.
Am interested in what areas of the main island have been explored. I understand that some fiords on the northern perimeter of the island were mined in WWII to prevent the German Submarine Fleet using the area as a base of operation. Those mines have never been cleared and therefore access is restricted by water.
Any info on the area would be appreciated.

Murph

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:49 am

The FA of Grand Ross was by Afanassief and friends back in the 1970s and those recent French guys were the only others to climb there. Pretty bad weather but some awesome ice sculptures etc up high.

Tilman went there in the 1960s on his own boat and made a crossing of the plateau/icecap thing but did not climb anything.

D

calebEOC

by calebEOC » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:56 am

Kerguelen has always fascinated me, wanting to know more about Mont Ross I stumbled across this video of the ascent. Obviously an old video, but that is an awesome looking volcano.

http://www.weblo.com/asset_video_sugges ... gCEde_gY/2

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands