Some simple questions.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Guyzo

Some simple questions.

by Guyzo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:25 pm

Hi, My name is Guy Keesee.

I am looking for work in a specialized industry. Colorado has a lot of this industry.

Leaving CA. Is not an easy thing to do. It has good points and bad points.

To help me make a good decision I was asking some questions.

Things like "Unions", are the Unions in control of many/any state functions? I only ask this because in calif they are and that is a major reason the state is headed down the tubes at an ever increasing rate.

Environmental protections. In calif, just yesterday, the state air resources board introduced a bill to make it: Illegal to have your tires under inflated. I kid you not. $250 fine if they are found to be so.

Could this sort of thing fly in your state?

I don't wish for any political commentary, but I am truly interested in getting some answers to my questions.

You might PM me.

Thank you.

AndyJB444

by AndyJB444 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:25 pm

What do you think about Texas?

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 pm

Andy..... I have found most Texans to be some of the most friendly people you can find anywhere, excluding the LEOs who run the state park system. I have had total strangers help me with my broken car.

Texas would be a good place to live it it was not so hot. And if most of the climbing places weren't "closed" it would be workable.

Why do you ask?

travelin_light

by travelin_light » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:56 am

Let me know where you end up out here Guy! Just bailed from CA about 6 mo. ago. Not looking back. I think CO has it together. Not sure about unions or how that works.

Environmental problem solving is probably no different than most other states including CA - sometimes it makes sense and other times, well, guess it would be like getting a ticket for a leaky tire.

The job market is excellent and well diversified. I am very happy with everything.

Just remember nothing is permanent!

Downy

by Downy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:17 pm

You'll find California's aren't wanted in CO, mainly because where ever they go they
change everplace into California, over-populated and enviromentally degraded.

travelin_light

by travelin_light » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Maybe you should up put a fence then.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:29 pm

Downy wrote:You'll find California's aren't wanted in CO, mainly because where ever they go they

There is a reason folks are running out of CA in droves. I think they might be the looking for something CO has to offer. Maybe some sanity?

And traviln-light..... why did you move?

E_Rolls

by E_Rolls » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm an old Californian and can remember when it was a lovely place. Then in the 70's the mass exodus from the east coast/midwest/Mexico began and continued. There was more I heart NY bumper stickers than in NY. Soon enough everyone will begin to complain of all the Colorado immigrants. What comes around goes around eh?

Cheers -E

travelin_light

by travelin_light » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:22 pm

Guyzo wrote:
Downy wrote:You'll find California's aren't wanted in CO, mainly because where ever they go they

There is a reason folks are running out of CA in droves. I think they might be the looking for something CO has to offer. Maybe some sanity?

Guy, I burned out on CA and wanted a lifestyle change. I like the people (there is a general difference), the backyard CO has to offer, the seasons, etc. I also have family here and it is where I was BORN. Wonder if I am still not wanted, LOL.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:57 pm

travelin_light wrote:
Guyzo wrote:

Guy, I burned out on CA and wanted a lifestyle change. I like the people (there is a general difference), the backyard CO has to offer, the seasons, etc. I also have family here and it is where I was BORN. Wonder if I am still not wanted, LOL.

So your one of the California people who "went home". :wink:

Happy?

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:17 pm

travelin_light wrote:
Guyzo wrote:

Similar story. I wasn't born in CO, but I lived here most of my life. Having seasons was a big factor for me (other than the rainy season and the foggy season in Santa Cruz). Also having family here. My wife votes for moving back to CA.

Unions: Not as big as in CA, at least in the teaching profession. Under-inflated tire laws: Only if the CA transplants become a majority.

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:27 am

The trick to loving California is: Don't watch TV News, read newspapers, etc. If you do you might try to figure out how it all works and that could cause brain damage. :wink:

Hate to see you go before I even met you. Uh, unless I have already. :?

Back in N. Idaho they had a saying, "Don't Californicate Idaho." You'll find most of those Rocky Mountain states are full of locals who won't like the idea of you coming there. They'll warm up after awhile.

dakotaconcrete

by dakotaconcrete » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:25 pm

Having lived in California and moved to Colorado....and married into a family that did the same, I can tell you this, be sure you understand your motives before leaving there.

I personally don't miss the California lifestyle (I'm a Minnesota native that grew up in a small small town)...but I can truly understand how people are attracted and satisfied with it. With that said, my wife's family doesn't like it in Colorado...like the posts made earlier, they left California only to end up wanting to make Colorado into California.

Unions...haven't personally been involved with them but I'm sure they exist. Maybe not to the extent they're present in California.

Environmental protections....probably not the level your used to, but I feel the issue has and will continue to gain momentum (whether welcome or not) as time goes on possibly provoking that mentality here.

Beside that, Colorado has what seems to me a lot more elbow room than I experienced in California....but then again I'm not sure where your living at, my stay in California included San Diego and Oxnard...both of those two places are pretty heavily populated.

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:45 pm

To bad your industry isn't in Wyoming or Idaho. I don't think you'd like Montana either.

Michele

by Michele » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:04 am

Guy, join us. While I can't help you with the work information, I can attest to enjoying living in Colorado. I live in Boulder and there are mountains and rock all around; a high sun count; good shops and restaurants; a nice downtown; a fairly liberal atmosphere; the cost of living is a bit lower; no bad traffic; the people are generally a little less on-the-take; and did I mention the climbing? Eldo, Boulder Canyon, Lumpy, etc., all near home! The downside for me is the lack of greenery in the landscape during winter and the fact that they don't sell wine or beer in the grocery store. That drives me nuts! It's true the area has been negatively impacted by self absorbed older urban professional types primarily from CA and TX, but the core of this place is still cool.

Return to Colorado