Hwy 24

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
jspears0001

Hwy 24

by jspears0001 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good, up-to-date website showing road conditions on the raod between Colorado Springs and the west side of Pike's Peak (Hwy 24). Also how can I check conditions on the 67 to the Crags TH (Co. rd 62 too)?

Thanks

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:32 pm

Googel the Colorado Department of Transportation. There was snow on vehicles Eastbound down Ute Pass this morning. Don't think things are too bad, heavier snow farther south apparently.

jspears0001

by jspears0001 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

no avatar
mconnell

Re: Hwy 24

by mconnell » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:49 pm

jspears0001 wrote:Hi,

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good, up-to-date website showing road conditions on the raod between Colorado Springs and the west side of Pike's Peak (Hwy 24). Also how can I check conditions on the 67 to the Crags TH (Co. rd 62 too)?

Thanks

Best bet is to ask someone (like me) that drives the road every day.

As a general comment, I have never been stuck in Colorado Springs by road conditions on 24. I have only seen the road closed once due to weather, and that was for about 2 hours. 67 gets closed more often, but usually only during a big storm with high winds.

The forest road going up to the crags can be a little more "interesting". Most of it is maintained by the groundskeeper at the church camp so it can definitely be closed right after a storm. If you drive up there, it is pretty dicey to go past the parking area just outside the church camp, although I did get up to the trailhead a couple weeks ago. People regularly get stuck on that last section, so you might end up being trapped back there even if you don't get stuck yourself. (I was for about an hour while we got some guy out.) It's not usually worth saving the extra mile or so.

BTW, there is no new snow up here but looks like there could be soon. If there was snow on vehicles, it wasn't coming from Divide or near the TH.

Return to Colorado