sawtooth ridge in winter

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
skyward22

sawtooth ridge in winter

by skyward22 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:09 pm

For anyone who has done the sawtooth traverse between Bierstadt and Evans, in which direction is the traverse more aesthetically pleasing and technically challenging?

The Summit Lake trailhead is closed in winter--what is the best access for such a climb?

brandon

by brandon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:01 pm

Tobe, you most certainly want to do it from Guanella Pass. If I do it again in winter, I'd go out and back. Easy way up Bierstadt, do the traverse, quite a long way to Evans summit, and then I'd retrace my steps and traverse the ridge again to come back. Plenty of opportunity for staying on harder rock on the trip over to Evans. Can cliff out in spots.

no avatar
Kenneth.alone

by Kenneth.alone » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:40 am

I agree with Brandon, out and back via the same route. Skipping Bierstadt's summit on the return can either cliff out or drag you through the willows and the last winter I was there, they held about 5 feet of snow... anyway, both are a pain. I would re-summit Bierstadt.

RyanS

by RyanS » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:29 am

Another alternative would be to continue on to Spalding and descend from there. During the descent, if you stick to higher terrain as you approach the willows you can avoid some of the trouble. I've not done the Sawtooth in winter, but I have been up Spalding via that route in January a few years back.

Return to Colorado