Thread/patches for fixing MH Synchro Pants?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
MScholes

Thread/patches for fixing MH Synchro Pants?

by MScholes » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Long story short... on a short warm up climb, first time using these brand new pants ... maybe 40 feet total of easy mixed climbing total, but around midway up, left crampon slips off it's tiny hold, I don't fall but my slip dislodged a rock and the resulting slight drop of my left leg went right into this crip new exposed rock... cut right through the Synchro pants AND my cap 3 I had on under, tore up my knee slightly but nothing serious, still finished the climb, only noticed the blood soaked capline when I got home a bit later.

Now, my brand new pants have a nice ~2 inch square hole cut right below the knee... I don't have any strong thread or patches to sew em back up so I have to order some... Any suggestions for fixing them?

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:20 am

If you wanted you could always send them to MH for repair. Personally, I would just use duct tape and cover it with a layer of Seam Seal or Freesole.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:10 am

I'd call MH and see - lots of companies charge low prices for repairs.

How do you like those pants? I am about to pull the trigger on a pair for my main cool/cold climbing pants.

kiwiw

by kiwiw » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:20 am

get some thread and a needle, sew the tear up, then put a couple dabs of aquaseal on it. done.

MScholes

by MScholes » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:54 pm

The pants are okay, I was looking for a softshell on the warmer side when I bought em, and they handle it pretty well. With only a Cap 3 under, can handle the -30s and -40s C up here "relatively" well - but not super when we get our high winds, still keeping my eyes open for some Pata Speed Ascents available in Canada.

The duct tape solution's fine with me, they'll probably get torn up quite a bit more before the winter's up. The rocks up here aren't gentle by any means, and I'm constantly distracted by hunters shooting at Ptarmagins litterally feet away from me on the sides of the walls.

Return to Gear