What's New in the Midwest...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:26 pm

xDoogiex wrote:How's everyone been?

The cold weather has been great for day hikes with the Malamute. We might get a backpacking trip in to Hoosier, Shawnee or the Ozarks before the snow melts.

You?

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:01 am

I've been alright. Only hiked once this winter. Otherwise been in the rock gym a ton. Getting ready for a boulder comp next sat

dwhike

by dwhike » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:20 pm

Been getting out quite often on the snowshoes here in the northern Lakes. Lots of nice hikes but nothing worthy of SP. Snow's nice but it'd be great if we got some sun up here once in a while! 8)

aedwards

by aedwards » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Been out ice climbing locally the last few weekends. Nothing amazing, but it's been fun.
Halfway thinking of going to Munising this weekend, but I don't know.
Otherwise a bit of hiking, but that's about it.

bluffview

by bluffview » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:37 pm

I wouldn't mind going to see B Blanchard over in Munising this weekend but with the way things have been going with the family I'm having a hard time making and sticking to any plans. Too many last minute deals w/ex and when it comes to the kids they take priority.

I've only been out on the misery slippers 3 times and zero on the skis this winter.

aedwards

by aedwards » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 pm

bluffview wrote:I wouldn't mind going to see B Blanchard over in Munising this weekend but with the way things have been going with the family I'm having a hard time making and sticking to any plans. Too many last minute deals w/ex and when it comes to the kids they take priority.

I've only been out on the misery slippers 3 times and zero on the skis this winter.

I was looking at the Ice Climbs of the Superior region book, which mentions a few climbs N of Bessemer by the Black River. Any beta on these?

My folks have a place by Bayfield, and it'd be fun to swing over sometime. :wink:

bluffview

by bluffview » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:26 pm

aedwards wrote:
bluffview wrote:I wouldn't mind going to see B Blanchard over in Munising this weekend but with the way things have been going with the family I'm having a hard time making and sticking to any plans. Too many last minute deals w/ex and when it comes to the kids they take priority.

I was looking at the Ice Climbs of the Superior region book, which mentions a few climbs N of Bessemer by the Black River. Any beta on these?

My folks have a place by Bayfield, and it'd be fun to swing over sometime. :wink:

Sorry no recent beta, if they are "in" or not. Not sure what climbs you are referring to and since my kids came along I've been way removed from it. That and when a local outdoor retailer closed their doors I don't get a chance to talk to one of the regulars that I would grill for info when I was getting into it.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:00 pm

xDoogiex wrote:I've been alright. Only hiked once this winter. Otherwise been in the rock gym a ton. Getting ready for a boulder comp next sat

Looking at my schedule, I most likely won't get to climb for at least month. Combine wrestling meets with a 5 page history paper due each Friday in February and you get a schedule that doesn't have room for climbing. This sucks.

This really sucks.

aedwards

by aedwards » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:20 pm

woodsxc wrote:
xDoogiex wrote:I've been alright. Only hiked once this winter. Otherwise been in the rock gym a ton. Getting ready for a boulder comp next sat

Looking at my schedule, I most likely won't get to climb for at least month. Combine wrestling meets with a 5 page history paper due each Friday in February and you get a schedule that doesn't have room for climbing. This sucks.

This really sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NIrW_07tr4

aedwards

by aedwards » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:45 pm

bluffview wrote:
aedwards wrote:

Sorry no recent beta, if they are "in" or not. Not sure what climbs you are referring to and since my kids came along I've been way removed from it. That and when a local outdoor retailer closed their doors I don't get a chance to talk to one of the regulars that I would grill for info when I was getting into it.

Thanks.
It'd just be nice to find some easy-ish climbs in the area.
Just have to do some exploring I suppose.

Here's a picture from last weekend:

bluffview

by bluffview » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Nice pic, where is that? Duluth quarry?

Is anyone here a member of the Nat'l Ski Patrol? If so is anybody aware and planning on coming to the U.P. in March? I don't have many details but know that some folks are heading up to do some training with our SAR group. Mountain travel and resuce is the basic premise, search technique, demonstrate/set up a haul system, and conditions/weather permitting you can build and bivy in a snow shelter.

aedwards

by aedwards » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:54 pm

bluffview wrote:Nice pic, where is that? Duluth quarry?

Is anyone here a member of the Nat'l Ski Patrol? If so is anybody aware and planning on coming to the U.P. in March? I don't have many details but know that some folks are heading up to do some training with our SAR group. Mountain travel and resuce is the basic premise, search technique, demonstrate/set up a haul system, and conditions/weather permitting you can build and bivy in a snow shelter.

This was at Sandstone.
Haven't been to Casket in Duluth.
Would like to check it out, and some of the friendlier North Shore climbs.

Those climbs by Bessemer are apparently by the Gorge Falls, on the sides of the river gorge.
Found this in the google earth:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/19120499

bluffview

by bluffview » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:36 pm

So that's the Sandstone I've been reading about on here looks like. Ironic, an officer of the SAR group writes an outdoor article for a local paper. She was out at Black River Harbor recently and in yesterday's paper there was a pic of our Sandstone Falls, there was water running in the river.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:22 pm

dwhike wrote:...who knew Iowa could be so COOL!!!!

Don't kid yourself. On a separate note, here is a new page for North Dakota:

Teck Hill in Theodore Roosevelt National Park.
Last edited by Bubba Suess on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:46 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:here is a new page for North Dakota:

Tek Hill in Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

Cool. This doesn't really belong in the climber's log on the page, so I'll post it here. Just an interesting tidbit. My wife and I decided to hike to the old entrance station in Teddy Roosevelt NP on a random 100F day in 2008. After poking around the entrance station, we continued down the old entrance road and hiked the interesting-looking buttes to the southwest of the road. Upon returning, a ranger just happened to be giving a guided tour of the old entrance to another couple. As we walked toward them, they asked us if we wanted to join them, so we did. The ranger showed us inside the building, which was awesome to see. The stonework that was done by the CCC in the 1930s was neat to see. The ranger also showed us the stone outhouse. Only shortly after returning home, did I realize that if we would have chosen to climb the hills to the northeast of the road, we would have made the THRO hp. That's okay we missed it. I'll just add it to my list of other hikes I want to do out there. Only now have I learned that the hp is called Teck Hill.

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)