Is it me or does Mountain Project Seem similar to SP?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:20 pm

FortMental wrote:If it weren't for SP, I would never have realized how beautiful the South Coast of England sea-cliffs are, how rad the Carpathian enviro-ethic is, how cool Italian refuge locations are, how weird the Julian Alps erosion is, how crowded the Matterhorn is, how big a choss-pile Aconcagua is... I never would have guessed that there are people who ONLY climb live volcanoes, or who only climb a mountain if it's over 4,267.2m. There are people who love the mountains but have never, ever put on a pair of crampons, and those that basically live in their crampons. Thanks to a photo and an old trip report posted on SP, I got off my ass and went up into the Crestones a couple of weeks ago and had the area truly, entirely, and completely to myself for 4 days.

So what if SP doesn't have the latest beta on some obscure 3-move V7? So what if SP isn't the place to re-live the glory days of wool (or spandex). SP's pretty cool!

Very nicely put. And it's the hikers with cameras that do that. And some umbrellas.

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Each site has its own virtues, so choose accordingly.

MP has an emphasis on harder climbing, particularly in CO, since most of the posters are from there.

ST is mostly spray, but can provide some awesome historical content, and can offer some really pointed advice on specific issues. If you need some advice about a particular route in the Valley, it's hard to beat though you might get some spray as well.

Personally, I've come to admire how most of the folks on SP are willing to come forward and share ideas, advice and encouragement. Also, given how busy I am of late, it gives me a little vicarious enjoyment of what others are up too, especially locally.

yatsek

by yatsek » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:32 pm

FortMental wrote:If it weren't for SP, I would never have realized how beautiful the South Coast of England sea-cliffs are…SP's pretty cool!

Absolutely, just that passage about the Carpathian enviro-ethic unfortunately still only applies to the NW part of these mts, but hopefully it'll change for the better over time as the other chunk has been incorporated into the EU recently.
Arthur Digbee wrote:Very nicely put. And it's the hikers with cameras that do that. And some umbrellas.

Couldn't agree more. I do carry a compact Wolfskin umbrella in my backpack although it's not blue in colour.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:12 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:SP has umbrellas. Don't forget the umbrellas.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:31 am

I don't recall ever seeing llama pictures at MP.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:22 am

mconnell wrote:I don't recall ever seeing llama pictures at MP.

=epic fail...

yatsek

by yatsek » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:07 pm

mconnell wrote:I don't recall ever seeing llama pictures at MP.

Don't forget all the asses :D

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:19 pm

FortMental wrote:See what I mean? The North Face of N. Twin.... and an unwashed climber holding a Mai Tai umbrella for scale. You gonna get that on RC.com? I think not, my friend.... I think not.

Go to SuperT..... enter "northface northtwin" .......... see some pretty rad photos of some big mts., shot from a location you can't easly get to.

all the sites have their unique appeal, strengthens and weaknesses, PnP on SP was sooooo unique re guarding the international political views of climbers. I miss it and hope it returns in some form. Screw the jerks, there are some in all crowds.

gk

:wink:

Diggler

by Diggler » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:49 pm

FortMental wrote:If it weren't for SP, I would never have realized how beautiful the South Coast of England sea-cliffs are, how rad the Carpathian enviro-ethic is, how cool Italian refuge locations are, how weird the Julian Alps erosion is, how crowded the Matterhorn is, how big a choss-pile Aconcagua is... I never would have guessed that there are people who ONLY climb live volcanoes, or who only climb a mountain if it's over 4,267.2m. There are people who love the mountains but have never, ever put on a pair of crampons, and those that basically live in their crampons. Thanks to a photo and an old trip report posted on SP, I got off my ass and went up into the Crestones a couple of weeks ago and had the area truly, entirely, and completely to myself for 4 days.

So what if SP doesn't have the latest beta on some obscure 3-move V7? So what if SP isn't the place to re-live the glory days of wool (or spandex). SP's pretty cool!

Well said. I think that each site has its place, but I'm most at home here (I've also been on this site forever...). BTW, mountainproject used to be climbingboulder.com

Dave Daly

by Dave Daly » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:24 am

Dingus Milktoast wrote:
Arthur Digbee wrote:SP has umbrellas. Don't forget the umbrellas.

Its a show about nothing!

DMT

Best reference to The Taco Stand. :D Dingus put it best regarding ST. Gems and golden nuggets throughout. I tried tracking down one thread for a few weeks, with Dingus and Brutus discussing the finer points in life (HA!). When I finally found it, I laughed till I cried!! Doods brought me to find more humor in life's tragedies and pitfalls rather than stress away the minutes.

Lest I forget the late, great OUCH and his brilliant photoshop works brought to life in the form of gif format!

thigbee

by thigbee » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:37 am

Diggler wrote:
Well said. I think that each site has its place, but I'm most at home here (I've also been on this site forever...). BTW, mountainproject used to be climbingboulder.com

Not just climbingboulder.com... Sites like climbingmoab.com and climbingjtree.com (and there were others) were also all merged into Mountain Project.

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander