Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

New page - is it worth it?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
 

New page - is it worth it?

Postby Fury » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:51 am

I don't think this is spray, slander or ethics, but I wasn't sure where else to pose the question. I've been thinking about making a page for the crags around the Kenora area, which is about 2 hrs east Winnipeg. This is where Manitobans get most of their climbing done.

Here's the thing: nobody on SP will make a trip out here to climb, so is it worth doing?


Here's a little sample of the area:
Image
User Avatar
Fury

 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts

Postby Dow Williams » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:07 am

Dr. Fury, someone completely unassociated with SP might find themselves with a layover of sorts (maybe their wife has a dressage comp) in Winnipeg...and thus they google "climbing Winnipeg" and your eventual page, made their day...it is more about google than SP my friend...cheers
User Avatar
Dow Williams

 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:59 pm
Location: Utah and Canadian Rockies
Thanked: 219 times in 101 posts

Postby Fury » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:36 am

Dow Williams wrote:Dr. Fury, someone completely unassociated with SP might find themselves with a layover of sorts (maybe their wife has a dressage comp) in Winnipeg...and thus they google "climbing Winnipeg" and your eventual page, made their day...it is more about google than SP my friend...cheers


Good point Dow. It will force me to bring my camera along when I head out. I hope I get out more this year..... I plan on visiting the rockies again. See if you can think of something mellow we could climb together (no harder than Bass Buttress as I haven't been climbing much). I still want to try the NE ridge of Victoria......and I don't think you've done that one yet. Cheers.
User Avatar
Fury

 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts

Postby mrh » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:09 pm

Do the page. Someone who may never get there may still enjoy reading about it and seeing what it looks like from their computer on a cold winter day.
User Avatar
mrh

 
Posts: 2072
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Grangeville, Idaho, United States
Thanked: 403 times in 235 posts

Postby Guyzo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:53 pm

mrh wrote:Do the page. Someone who may never get there may still enjoy reading about it and seeing what it looks like from their computer on a cold winter day.


It is very ethical to add your knowledge to the "greater whole".... it's good to do so.

gk :wink:
User Avatar
Guyzo

 
Posts: 2567
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:11 am
Location: Moorpark, California, United States
Thanked: 24 times in 13 posts

Postby ksolem » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:17 pm

Two hours east of Winnipeg?

I had to travel to Pinawa once in 1978 on business. Is it anywhere near there? I would have gone climbing then if I new, except it was January :shock: .

I'd love to see the page. What harm could there be to putting it up?

Does Winnipeg still have a great ballet company? I always made a point of seeing them when I passed through back then...
User Avatar
ksolem

 
Posts: 5719
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 4:25 pm
Location: Monrovia, California, United States
Thanked: 12 times in 9 posts

Postby SpiderSavage » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:01 pm

Definitely put if up here on SP. Do the route by route guide on mountainproject.com if it's not there already. It's your duty. :wink:
User Avatar
SpiderSavage

 
Posts: 390
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Sunland, California
Thanked: 7 times in 4 posts

Postby Fury » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:25 am

ksolem wrote:Two hours east of Winnipeg?

I had to travel to Pinawa once in 1978 on business. Is it anywhere near there? I would have gone climbing then if I new, except it was January :shock: .

I'd love to see the page. What harm could there be to putting it up?

Does Winnipeg still have a great ballet company? I always made a point of seeing them when I passed through back then...


Pinawa is into the edge of the Canadian Shield, but it's northwest of Kenora. Kenora is straight east on the Trans-Canada highway (and just into Ontario), whereas Pinawa is north of the Trans-Canada. In rare years there is actually some ice that forms on some of the crags for ice climbing (so I'm told) but it depends on freeze/thaw cycles. The climb that I'm on in the above photo is 2 yrs from Winnipeg. There are some other areas that are about 2.5 hours away or so.

The ballet is alive and well. Apparently they have an excellent ballet school as well.

It's settled. I will take a bunch of photos this summer, include a few route descriptions and give info on the local climbing guidebook.

Cheers.
User Avatar
Fury

 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts


Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.