Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

June Lake Ice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

June Lake Ice

Postby DanielWade » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:00 am

I'm planning on heading up there in a few weeks but I have not been before and would appreciate any beta. What's the rope situation in terms of rappelling and/or TR. I see that the SP page says bring some rock gear but I'm curious if it's really needed. I'll throw in a few nuts and cams in addition to a rack of 9 screws, draws and anchor material.
DanielWade

Postby WML » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:24 am

For road side, depends on if you want to lead it or not. If top roping, just bring a setup for that and you can top rope it with a 70m, maybe even 60...don't quote me on the 60 though.

If leading the ice, then bring a good array of screws, pitches are ~30-35 meters so it depends on your comfort level on THICK WI2(ish) stuff. Have fun! I might be making a trip down there this upcoming Saturday....time will tell.
WML

Location: The Edge of the Electric Ocean Beneath Red Rock, Nevada, United States

Postby rhyang » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:05 am

We toproped the rightmost line on the roadside stuff about a month ago with a 60m. There's a nice stout tree at the top for an anchor.
rhyang

Postby Dragger » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:42 pm

If you do bring rock gear, I wouldn't bring too much -- maybe a pin or two. The rock is generally bad and cracks, thin. Maybe a KB.
Dragger

Return to California