Utah hikers spotting ice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Heading for the Zicicle tomorrow (Oct issue Climbing Mag). Made my Zion rock partners scope it out in advance....(long ass approach)...after one trip getting stuck...then yesterday suffering deep snow....they tell me its in. Zach Lee and I will giver her a go tomorrow. Burr's photography was quite inspiring. Lets see if it measures up!

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Dow Williams wrote:Heading for the Zicicle tomorrow (Oct issue Climbing Mag). Made my Zion rock partners scope it out in advance....(long ass approach)...after one trip getting stuck...then yesterday suffering deep snow....they tell me its in. Zach Lee and I will giver her a go tomorrow. Burr's photography was quite inspiring. Lets see if it measures up!

Ok, that was a bit scary. How old do I need to be to quit searching out such business? The snow shoe return through fresh snow with a 300' rope will kick your ass. Courtney, I need to do this canyon in season, never done it.

no avatar
marauders

by marauders » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:10 pm

Dow Williams wrote:
Dow Williams wrote:Heading for the Zicicle tomorrow (Oct issue Climbing Mag). Made my Zion rock partners scope it out in advance....(long ass approach)...after one trip getting stuck...then yesterday suffering deep snow....they tell me its in. Zach Lee and I will giver her a go tomorrow. Burr's photography was quite inspiring. Lets see if it measures up!

Ok, that was a bit scary. How old do I need to be to quit searching out such business? The snow shoe return through fresh snow with a 300' rope will kick your ass. Courtney, I need to do this canyon in season, never done it.

Any pics? I need pics!

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:15 pm

marauders wrote:
Dow Williams wrote:

Any pics? I need pics!

patience my friend, I am behind!

cp0915

by cp0915 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Dow Williams wrote:

Just saw this. What did I miss, Dow? Sounds like you and Zach were scared off by some sketchy Zion ice.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Oh yes, Zicicle. I know a guy who's climbed it before, and a couple who thought about climbing it, took a look at it, and turned back. The canyon itself is lame. Cool entry rappel but uninteresting after that, except for a pretty, fluted rappel midway through.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:47 pm

Excellent photos. Nice find!

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:56 pm

oh we climbed it (now you know three people who climbed it), just scary dude....we had no professional photographer with us...so these Climbing Mag photos will be the best out there....I will add the route page though...Zach said he thought the canyon route was decent....figured you had been down it.

Previous

Return to Utah