Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Do Convertibles and Glacier Park Mix?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Do Convertibles and Glacier Park Mix?

Postby Stu Brandel » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:52 am

I went to a travel website today while planning my summer vacation to Glacier Natinal Park. To my surprise, at the Great Falls airport rental companies, convertibles were the cheapest car being offered by several hundred dollars. I quickly snatched one up but then I wondered - is there some reason these would be undesirable at Glacier? Is this an automotive bear incident waiting to happen? Or is there something else I am missing?
Stu Brandel

Postby Fred Spicker » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:14 am

You might ask saintgrizzly about the rock fall that almost took him out on Going to the Sun Highway.
Fred Spicker

Postby rebelgrizz » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:45 am

What month are you planning to come? I am lucky enough to live about 30 minutes from Glacier and have been climbing in the park for two years....you are more likely to hit another car, or bicyclist, or motorcyclist, than even see a bear from the road. A convertible would be a great way to see the park from the road. Hopefully, you plan on doing some hiking and climbing? Enjoy your trip....Glacier has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world! Having said all that....rockfall can be a concern in places on GTTS road....my Hyundai Sonata got plinked by a small rock the size of my fist last year...just stay alert....hard to do when dazzled by the scenery!!!
rebelgrizz

Postby Stu Brandel » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:00 pm

I was thinking that maybe a convertible would be bad if there was food or the odor of food in the car. We did not want to have easy open packaging for a bear. We are staying in East Glacier (July) but plan to be parked all day at various trailheads.

Thanks for the word about rockfall... :shock:
Stu Brandel

Postby rebelgrizz » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:32 pm

When parking at trailheads we leave our food in a large cooler locked up in the trunk...haven't had a problem so far, but we try to keep any potential odor problems down by primarily feasting on PB & J's during and after our hikes/climbs. I've never seen a bear at a trailhead....not to say that that can't happen, but I think the GNP rangers do a good job of identifying "problem" bears and dealing with them. I know they had to kill an old female grizzly last year that was brazenly walking into campsites....I believe in the Two Med area. I saw on your profile that you've climbed Henkel...that one is on my list this year.
rebelgrizz

Postby Bob Sihler » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:43 pm

Rockfall scares aside, you will love having a convertible in Glacier. Without one, you may drive over a cliff as you crane your neck out the window to see the amazing scenery! I'm not kidding-- GTTS Road is very narrow in places with huge drops, and you all the time see drivers' heads out the windows and looking up.

So to steer off the topic a bit-- drive GTTS Road only early in the morning if possible. The heavy traffic and bad drivers make it slow, frustrating, and dangerous most of the rest of the day. And bring a book to read; you'll be stopping a lot so assholes can stop in the middle of the road and get out of their cars to photograph mountain goats and waterfalls.

My tone aside, I think Glacier is the most magnificent place on earth I have seen, so enjoy!

Edit: Don't worry about the food issue as long as the car has a trunk. I'd worry more about bears being able to see the food, which is why I almost always put food and coolers in the trunk, anyway.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby rebelgrizz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:27 am

Referencing Bob Sihler's comment about when to drive on GTTS road....driving early is definitely better, but GTTS road has been undergoing extensive road and retaining wall repairs/construction for several years and will continue to do so for the next several years...so expect construction delays anytime....particularly on the west side
rebelgrizz

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)