Idyllwild Climbing History

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
ksolem

by ksolem » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:19 am

One of the great ripoffs of all time... :wink:

MichaelJ

by MichaelJ » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:08 pm

Who invented YDS? Royal Robbins and Don Wilson. Where is Royal most associated with climbing? Not Tahquitz, that´s fore sure. Many climbers (outside California) don´t know anything about Tahquitz. Most visiting climbers only know two places to go in California. Bishop seems to rank third. Tah-what?

On a related note, I´m a big fan of Canadian YDS, which, like its currency, is about 15% cheaper.

Funny thing, Kris, I´m in Argentina but spending most of my days this week writing about ... the Valley.

asmrz

DVD is now available

by asmrz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 pm

Hi everyone,

Jane Taylor-Levi send me the following note and asked that I include it here on SP. If anyone would like to purchase the DVD, now you know where to get it. It benefits the Idyllwild Historical Society Museum which houses the Tahquitz History of Climbing Exhibit.

Cheers and good climbing, Alois.

On November 18, 2009 in Idyllwild California some legendary climbers who put up early routes on Tahquitz Rock in the 50’s, 60's, and 70’s came together for a reunion. Joe Fitschen, Jerry Galways, Don Lauria, John Long, Charlie Raymond, Royal Robbins, and Mike Sherrick met to share stories and anecdotes.
A video was shot and we now have a DVD of the event available for sale. Although shot by an amateur, it is a significant record of the historic meeting and talks.

You may purchase one at the Idyllwild Area Historical Society Museum - 54470 North Circle Drive, Idyllwild - where the History of Climbing Exhibit is still in place for $21.50 (tax included).

Or send a check or money order for $24.75 (including shipping and handling) to IAHS at PO Box 3320, Idyllwild, CA 92549.

Enjoy!

Dave Daly

by Dave Daly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:44 am

I'm sure Deb and I will pick up a copy when we make it up there next time. Thanks for posting Alois. When are we going to ever meet up? :D

Previous

Return to California