Ansel Adams photo - identify the peaks?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:18 pm

And here they are from the summit of Langley looking north to Whitney...

ksolem

by ksolem » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:57 pm

Actually I think the peak labelled as "Irvine" there is actually Mallory, which is the next peak north from LeConte across a high plateau. In this pic I'm just below the summit on Mallory (the photographer was on the top,) The summit of Irvine is arrowed (or perhaps slightly right of the arrow.)

Although the Irvine summit looks nondescript from there, it's East Buttress drops off precipitously to Meysan Lake. There is a 16 pitch 5.9 up that buttress.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Mallory is actually directly behind and just below Le Conte in the pic, just barely out of sight Kris.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:12 pm

ksolem wrote:Actually I think the peak labelled as "Irvine" there is actually Mallory, which is the next peak north from LeConte across a high plateau.

The Mitre label doesn't look right either. It's about 1,000ft lower and out of view to the left. That may possibly be Mallory (in which case the Irvine label is right) or McAdie.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:22 pm

The Chief wrote:Mallory is actually directly behind and just below Le Conte in the pic, just barely out of sight Kris.

Chief, I think Kris is right. I found another picture from the summit of Corcoran. Mallory is directly in line with the view to Whitney's summit (unlabeled, just below Whitney in the photo below), and the outline matches the one labeled Irvine in your pic.

ksolem

by ksolem » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:24 pm

In Rick's picture McCadie is out of frame to the left across Arc Pass.

This picture (same day) is looking toward LeConte and Langley from Mallory.

Since Langley is plainly in view, Mallory cannot be hidden in Rick's picture, taken looking the other way around.

peninsula

by peninsula » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:40 am

My insider has the scoop on the horse... a paint it was. Adam's paid the rancher to put his horse in sweet spot as goes photographic composition, aka, golden ratio. Yep, I happen to posses the horse's death certificate.

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:56 am

peninsula wrote:My insider has the scoop on the horse... a paint it was. Adam's paid the rancher to put his horse in sweet spot as goes photographic composition, aka, golden ratio. Yep, I happen to posses the horse's death certificate.

That's an urban legend! Or, just an eastern Sierra legend. :wink:

peninsula

by peninsula » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:58 pm

dskoon wrote:
peninsula wrote:My insider has the scoop on the horse... a paint it was. Adam's paid the rancher to put his horse in sweet spot as goes photographic composition, aka, golden ratio. Yep, I happen to posses the horse's death certificate.

That's an urban legend! Or, just an eastern Sierra legend. :wink:

Horsey legend?

ksolem

by ksolem » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:37 pm

I suspect that horse has been reproducing since Ansel Adams took his picture…

Quick question. Is this The MItre?

I took the picture looking S-S/W from the summit of Mallory…

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Sure looks like it Kris... me and a local buddy are looking at putting up some nice moderate 2-3 P FA's on the SF and SWF this upcoming season on that baby!!!

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:48 pm

ksolem wrote:Quick question. Is this The MItre?

Yep, that's it. Nice shot, too.

peninsula

by peninsula » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:43 pm

I suspect that horse has been reproducing since Ansel Adams took his picture…

Okay, I see it is time for me to once again set the record straight on this horse business. You see, after Ansel paid the aforementioned rancher (a fella named Billy) to place his horse in just the correct quadrant of that photo, it turned out another rancher, a guy named Gus, recognized his missing horse when visiting Ansel's exhibition in 1928 at the Sierra club's San Francisco headquarters. Gus approached Ansel and found out where Billy lived and he promptly had Billy hanged for horse thievery.

Anyway, Gus bred this mare (the mare's name was Trinket, not Ed, as previously alluded) and the first colt, Kodak, named after Ansel's first camera, was gifted to Mr. Andams in gratitude for having his prized mare back in the rightful owner's hands. Adams, not being all that much into horses, sold Kodak to a fella in the horse trading business to raise some capital for his first Hasselblad.

Now Kodak was one hell of a horse. He ended up siring dozens of foals and I have no doubt that a few of those depicted could very well have some of Kodak's fine blood. I should know because my Great Uncle (Bill Bowerman) was Trinket and Kodak's veterinarian. That is how I came into possession of Trinket's death certificate. My uncle used to love telling me this story.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:22 am

Here is the photo with features labeled. I'm not familiar with everything up there, so if I don't already know a feature's name, and it's not labeled on the mytopo.com map, I had no way to label it here.

The image generated by my program is below the photo. The colors are by elevation only.

Using multiple images generated by my program, I managed to determine the viewpoint from which Ansel Adams' photo was taken. It is close to the road (US395), and it's just north of the city park that is on the north end of town.

From this viewpoint, Mount Mallory is almost directly behind Lone Pine Peak and is not visible. The actual summit of Mount Irvine is blocked by the north ridge of Lone Pine Peak, but the NNE ridge of Irvine is visible.

On the far right, the photo cuts off at the SE ridge of Carillon, so the summit of Carillon is not visible for this reason only. According to my program, if the photo extended further right, the summit of Russell would be visible, barely peeking up from behind that same ridge. Russell would be just left of Carillon's summit from this perspective.

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:14 pm

That's pretty good work, there, Dayhiker. Excellent.

PreviousNext

Return to California