Replacing images?

Get HTML help, style input, and feedback on your pages from other SP members.
brutus of wyde

Replacing images?

by brutus of wyde » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:44 pm

Is there an easy way to replace images, one with another?

(Rather than deleting the first image and creating a new image)?

This would make updating existing topo drawings of climbs much easier...

Brutus

Felsberg

by Felsberg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:57 pm

on the image page click 'edit page', then browse for the image you would like to upload in the file dialog box. this will replace the image but otherwise keep the page the same (caption attachments, etc.). this what you mean?

brutus of wyde

by brutus of wyde » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:52 pm

I'll try. Thanks...

phlipdascrip

by phlipdascrip » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:46 pm

It seems like this functionality got lost, when I upload a new image it keeps the original. Is this something someone can look into? I'd gladly help out fixing things on SP - unless this is one of the things the owners have no interest in fixing..

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:15 am

phlipdascrip wrote:It seems like this functionality got lost, when I upload a new image it keeps the original. Is this something someone can look into? I'd gladly help out fixing things on SP - unless this is one of the things the owners have no interest in fixing..

I have seen this same thing. Its wierd cause at first it doesn't change it, but then I'll look at that photo a few weeks later and then I see it finnaly changed. I don't know why it does that but that is what I have seen.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:15 am

phlipdascrip wrote:It seems like this functionality got lost, when I upload a new image it keeps the original. Is this something someone can look into? I'd gladly help out fixing things on SP - unless this is one of the things the owners have no interest in fixing..

If you're doing what I think you're doing, hit refresh and the image should change.

phlipdascrip

by phlipdascrip » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:44 am

Bob Sihler wrote:If you're doing what I think you're doing, hit refresh and the image should change.

It's not a caching issue. See for yourself: http://www.summitpost.org/object_histor ... _id=552121 One of the two recent versions should look a little different (contrast, less hazy - you'd notice the difference).

Woodzy wrote:I have seen this same thing. Its wierd cause at first it doesn't change it, but then I'll look at that photo a few weeks later and then I see it finnaly changed. I don't know why it does that but that is what I have seen.

Interesting. I'll keep checking.

phlipdascrip

by phlipdascrip » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:00 pm

You were right, first the thumbnail changed a day later and two or so days later all images updated. Interesting.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:26 pm

Refresh usually works but SP stores images in multiple sizes (small/medium/original) and you have to do it on each of the screens in order for that size to show the new image. If that doesn't work then maybe there are some settings in your browser that are interfering.

phlipdascrip

by phlipdascrip » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:33 pm

Like I said it's not a caching issue on the browser side. Must be some kind of delayed batch conversion of re-uploaded images, or it's in the nature of the used cloud storage - maybe the data is redundantly distributed on several servers and it takes a while to populate changed files across them. Who knows.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:55 pm

phlipdascrip wrote:Like I said it's not a caching issue on the browser side. Must be some kind of delayed batch conversion of re-uploaded images, or it's in the nature of the used cloud storage - maybe the data is redundantly distributed on several servers and it takes a while to populate changed files across them. Who knows.

Yes, I realized this as well: it takes a night for changed pictures to display correctly. It certainly has to do with storage on the cloud and both explanations you give may be correct.

Again, a request I made to the ownrs but never received a reply to. Blame the elves...

Return to Page Help