Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Opinions needed: Traveling Duffel What to buy

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
 

Opinions needed: Traveling Duffel What to buy

Postby waXology » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:55 am

Ok so i'm going to Elbrus this year and am about to purchase a duffel, the only thing is I don't know what to get. Brand and Size. im looking at the First Ascent 80L and the North Face Base Camp 90L. I know both are large but if I don't get something 70cm or longer then where do I put my ixe axe? (70cm).

So my qeustion is when yo uguys go on an expedition, where do you store your axe? In your duffel? In qhich case ill need to go a large of 70cm or longer. If not I can easily get the smaller ones.

To make matters worse im also doing this trip as a part of a 4 week vacation so ill have a normal 70L backpack as well + a day bag. So the duffel will be a third bag, obviously the smaller the better.. but the ixe axe situation is my only show stopper.

any thoughts? suggestions?

cheers guys
Cam
User Avatar
waXology

 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:02 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

WT burro

Postby Snowy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:10 am

User Avatar
Snowy

 
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:31 pm
Location: Montana, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

for the price

Postby zeroforhire » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:08 am

For the price I am not sure it gets much better than these...

http://www.rei.com/product/748507

http://www.rei.com/product/748506

http://www.rei.com/product/748505

90 ish L, 145 ish L, 190 ish L respectively.

$25
zeroforhire

 
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:27 am
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: Opinions needed: Traveling Duffel What to buy

Postby Brad Marshall » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:05 pm

Hey Cam:

I use duffles from Mountain Equipment Coop www.mec.ca here in Canada for expeditions. I take two of their larger ones which are 110L (76 cm long, $32) and 126L (87 cm long, $36). I lay my backpack in the bottom of one duffle with the straps and harness facing upward and lay all my sharps (axes, poles, pickets, etc.) on top of the pack and have had no problems. I also pad the axe with small foam pieces to prevent it from punching holes through the duffle.

Good luck on Elbrus.

Image
User Avatar
Brad Marshall

 
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Thanked: 17 times in 15 posts

Postby waXology » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:04 am

awesome. Thansk for the replies, some good cheaper options now!

Cheers
Cam
User Avatar
waXology

 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:02 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby climberslacker » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:56 pm

for something that i have heard is bombproof, and huge enough that a 5' 7" guy can actually fit inside, you could try the fish behemoth bag. It's fabric is designed not to wear when straped to a beast of burden according to their website.

-CS
User Avatar
climberslacker

 
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:42 am
Location: Oceanside, California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby Haliku » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:27 pm

I've used the NF Duffels for the last 8 years or so. They travel well with all forms of transport, are highly water resistant and very durable. Cheers!
Last edited by Haliku on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User Avatar
Haliku

 
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:42 am
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 2 posts

Postby radson » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Haliku wrote:I've used the NF Duffels for the last 8 years or so. They travel well with all forms of transport, are highly water resistant and very durable. Cheers!


I'm a fan of TNF duffles as well. Any duffle with 'backpack' style shoulder straps is bloody handy as well. I can put one duffle on my back and balance another on top and be fairly mobile.
User Avatar
radson

 
Posts: 1937
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Thanked: 109 times in 76 posts

Postby Brad Marshall » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:33 pm

radson wrote:Any duffle with 'backpack' style shoulder straps is bloody handy as well. I can put one duffle on my back and balance another on top and be fairly mobile.


Wow, impressive and I never thought of that. I usually just put mine on those little carts at the airport :lol:
User Avatar
Brad Marshall

 
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Thanked: 17 times in 15 posts

Re: for the price

Postby HeyItsBen » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:22 pm

zeroforhire wrote:For the price I am not sure it gets much better than these...

http://www.rei.com/product/748507

http://www.rei.com/product/748506

http://www.rei.com/product/748505

90 ish L, 145 ish L, 190 ish L respectively.

$25


Yep, these are what I use. Been through alot over the last 5 years and still holding up strong. I typically lay my ice axe or ice tools in the bottom, and I use packing tape and cardboard to cover the sharp points. Works like a charm.
User Avatar
HeyItsBen

 
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:22 am
Location: San Diego, California, United States
Thanked: 7 times in 7 posts

Re: Opinions needed: Traveling Duffel What to buy

Postby HeyItsBen » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:25 pm

Brad Marshall wrote:Hey Cam:

I use duffles from Mountain Equipment Coop www.mec.ca here in Canada for expeditions. I take two of their larger ones which are 110L (76 cm long, $32) and 126L (87 cm long, $36). I lay my backpack in the bottom of one duffle with the straps and harness facing upward and lay all my sharps (axes, poles, pickets, etc.) on top of the pack and have had no problems. I also pad the axe with small foam pieces to prevent it from punching holes through the duffle.

Good luck on Elbrus.

Image


Brad, is this what you use on Denail? Do you "waterproof" them somehow?
User Avatar
HeyItsBen

 
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:22 am
Location: San Diego, California, United States
Thanked: 7 times in 7 posts

Re: for the price

Postby Ammon Hatch » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:20 pm

benjamingray wrote:
zeroforhire wrote:For the price I am not sure it gets much better than these...

http://www.rei.com/product/748507

http://www.rei.com/product/748506

http://www.rei.com/product/748505

90 ish L, 145 ish L, 190 ish L respectively.

$25


Yep, these are what I use. Been through alot over the last 5 years and still holding up strong. I typically lay my ice axe or ice tools in the bottom, and I use packing tape and cardboard to cover the sharp points. Works like a charm.


Worked great for me flying to Ecuador. I had my axe points covered but didn't protect the ends of my pickets and it held up to that just fine.
User Avatar
Ammon Hatch

 
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: West Jordan, Utah, United States
Thanked: 3 times in 1 post

Re: Opinions needed: Traveling Duffel What to buy

Postby Brad Marshall » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:09 pm

benjamingray wrote:
Brad Marshall wrote:Image


Brad, is this what you use on Denail? Do you "waterproof" them somehow?


Yes, I use the X-large on Denali. It's a long bag with a low center of gravity so the sleds don't tend to tip over as much. If you don't know this already another tip is don't tie your duffle to the sled very tight. Too tight and the tension in the cord torques the sled out of shape rounding off and twisting the bottom which leads to additional frustration (not sliding straight and tipping over more often). Instead, make sure your duffle is well secured to the climbing rope and only lightly tied to the sled.

I haven't found a need to waterproof them even when they get dumped on by heavy snowfall.

http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspac ... 601181.JPG
User Avatar
Brad Marshall

 
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Thanked: 17 times in 15 posts

Re: Opinions needed: Traveling Duffel What to buy

Postby HeyItsBen » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:48 pm

Brad Marshall wrote:
benjamingray wrote:
Brad Marshall wrote:Image


Brad, is this what you use on Denail? Do you "waterproof" them somehow?


Yes, I use the X-large on Denali. It's a long bag with a low center of gravity so the sleds don't tend to tip over as much. If you don't know this already another tip is don't tie your duffle to the sled very tight. Too tight and the tension in the cord torques the sled out of shape rounding off and twisting the bottom which leads to additional frustration (not sliding straight and tipping over more often). Instead, make sure your duffle is well secured to the climbing rope and only lightly tied to the sled.

I haven't found a need to waterproof them even when they get dumped on by heavy snowfall.

http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspac ... 601181.JPG


That shape does look sled friendly. Thanks for the tips, cool picture :D
User Avatar
HeyItsBen

 
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:22 am
Location: San Diego, California, United States
Thanked: 7 times in 7 posts

Next

Return to Gear

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.