Elitism

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
McCannster

Elitism

by McCannster » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:05 pm

Know an elitist? They can be pretty annoying sometimes. Also entertaining. These are the people who have the ability to take climbing WAY too seriously, as in if you don't climb/do something the way they do it, you are an inferior being. And if you don't climb at all, you don't exist. I look at these people and think to myself how they can be so wrapped up in their egos that they think they are the shit, and nobody else comes close to them. But that in itself also makes me laugh at them because they take things way too seriously. Most "good" climbers are the nicest people ever, but some are just a-holes. It disappoints me that such people can be called climbers, but I guess that's the reality of almost every sport. I guess my point is that I don't like elitists, but since they are always going to be around, I may as well learnt o laugh at them. Climbing is about having fun, not putting others down because they can;t do what you do.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:29 pm

So who was it or what was the situation that prompted you to post this?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:42 pm

Few parts of life don't have some elitism. Go to a college mixer and watch who gets ignored. Become an academic, and experience elitism as a currency.

drjohnso1182

Re: Elitism

by drjohnso1182 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:08 pm

McCannster wrote:I guess my point is that I don't like elitists, but since they are always going to be around, I may as well learnt o laugh at them.

Elitists are people too. Is your ego so fragile that you have to laugh at them just to make yourself feel better??

Dingus Milktoast wrote:I hate Illinois Elitists.

DMT

We'll find you eventually. We have your address now: 1060 W Addison.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:36 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Asshole-Rule-Civi ... 446526568/

Not just for workplaces . . . . his advice works for SP too.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:57 pm

Maybe call this thread "The Barry Bonds of Climbers".

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Yeah, elitism, one can one say, really? Seems to appear in all aspects of life. But, in the world of sports, including say the NBA, MLB, and NFL, I think we see the height of elitism morphed into entitlism.
However, in our world, namely Alpine sports, (but along with many others), I run into that snobbery/elitism from time to time. Like others mentioned, generally the outdoors crowd tend to be pretty fun-loving and not prone to elitism. Still persists, though.
One of my best ol' friends and I are not really so friendly anymore. Imo, the reason is for not joining along with his "elitist" frame of mine. Not even his club(not sure he has one), but certainly his way of thinking. Our major arguements have been over gear, with him attempting to teach me which kayak to buy(shorter vs. longer), which backcountry ski to buy(Tele vs. Rado-but of course!), along with which computer system-Mac all the way, vs. the PC I ended up buying. Amazing! I told him I really didn't get into those arguements with any of my other friends. And to think his blowups were always caused by me politely trying to defend my choice, while not agreeing with his recommendation. Unbelievable.
Sadly, it has resulted in a bit of the dissolution of our friendship. There were probably other factors involved as well, but, these are the ones that would result in yelling matches. That is some of the elitism I've run smack into.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:17 pm

I have had the pleasure of climbing with some very elite alpinists, some of them you have heard of, others who have soloed WI 7 that you will never hear of. I am struck by how down to earth and humble they are relative to the guys that climb 5.10 at the gym and think they are hot shit.

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:27 pm

ExcitibleBoy wrote:I have had the pleasure of climbing with some very elite alpinists, some of them you have heard of, others who have soloed WI 7 that you will never hear of. I am struck by how down to earth and humble they are relative to the guys that climb 5.10 at the gym and think they are hot shit.

They're all just heeding the advice of Sun Tzu: "If you are strong, appear weak. If you are weak, spray like it's going out of style."

McCannster

Re: Elitism

by McCannster » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Kiefer Thomas wrote:So who was it or what was the situation that prompted you to post this?

Not really any specific thing Kiefer, it's just been on my mind for the past few months.

drjohnso1182 wrote:Elitists are people too. Is your ego so fragile that you have to laugh at them just to make yourself feel better??

Well, it's better than the alternative. Better to just shrug off their antics and not let 'em get to you than it is to really let what they say/do make YOU feel less of a climber. That's all I'm trying to say.

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:09 pm

drjohnso1182 wrote:
ExcitibleBoy wrote:I have had the pleasure of climbing with some very elite alpinists, some of them you have heard of, others who have soloed WI 7 that you will never hear of. I am struck by how down to earth and humble they are relative to the guys that climb 5.10 at the gym and think they are hot shit.

They're all just heeding the advice of Sun Tzu: "If you are strong, appear weak. If you are weak, spray like it's going out of style."

:lol: I love it. Great advice.

TheOrglingLlama

by TheOrglingLlama » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:10 pm

I bet you hoi polloi went to state schools too :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:21 pm

TheOrglingLlama wrote:I bet you hoi polloi went to state schools too :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Hey, hey, "hoi" is an article. Watch the punctuation.

"I'd like to thank my parents, Ayn Rand and God."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKV_HTHFjZY

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:42 pm

MikeTX wrote:i am elite. i'm a texan.

:lol: Oh, yeah, and don't we know it! About your state, I mean.

SKI

by SKI » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:09 pm

Mark Twight anyone?

Next

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander