Ice climber death on Parkway

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Mike N

Ice climber death on Parkway

by Mike N » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:18 pm

I read in the Asheville paper a man died ice climbing off the Blue Ridge this last week. Does anybody have further information that we could learn from this tragic event? I was ice climbing at 215 a couple weeks ago and although the ice looked fat, it was very detached, water running behind, and would be a lead you could not fall on. The warmer temps have wreaked havoc on the ice this last week.

Adayak

by Adayak » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:28 pm

I can't imagine ice climbing this time of year off the Blue Ridge Parkway it's been pushing 55-60 degrees in the daytime for a week. Those warm temps are not good for solid ice climbing.

Scoffster

by Scoffster » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:33 am

Ralph Fickle died in a soloing fall on March 6th. The temps prior to the accident (as well as the day of) had been plenty cold--especially at that altitude (Doughton Park on the BRP). Check out Ray's Weather archives to confirm.

More info at Carolina Climbers' Coalition forum--Very Sad.

SS

rickford

by rickford » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:53 am

Scoffster wrote:Ralph Fickle died in a soloing fall on March 6th. The temps prior to the accident (as well as the day of) had been plenty cold--especially at that altitude (Doughton Park on the BRP). Check out Ray's Weather archives to confirm.

More info at Carolina Climbers' Coalition forum--Very Sad.

SS

I know what it's like to be excited about ideal ice conditions- expecially when living in the mid-atlantic... I'm sure Ralph was stoked to get out and climb.

So Sorry to hear about his death. Truly sad indeed...

My condolences to his friends, family, and his local climbing community.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)