2010 CA SP gathering, Round Top, March 27th 9:30am

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Dragger

by Dragger » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:16 pm

MooseTracks wrote:
Dragger wrote:
MooseTracks wrote:
Dragger wrote:Did someone say mimosas in the parking lot?! :D

Ok, I admit to wavering a bit... until this. I wonder if the Bishop Vons carries Chambord for those Mimosas...

Dragger, if we pin Robbie down we can make him drink one, too... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hey there Moose, I've had absolutely no luck at all with that :P but maybe you will! Either way, I'm happy to bring the Chambord. :D :D :D

Meh... it starts with throwing him over my shoulder... Hmmm... time to break out the pickets...

I'm thinkin' skis, btw... :D

Nice! I've skied down from the saddle -- it's pretty mellow. but Dingus is right too, the couloir could be an avy nightmare if it's snowed recently. oh yeah, and i did have a yard sale on skis right in front of SP's "Keema," coming down, just for the record. :D

keema

by keema » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Dragger wrote:
MooseTracks wrote:
Dragger wrote:
MooseTracks wrote:
Dragger wrote:Did someone say mimosas in the parking lot?! :D

Ok, I admit to wavering a bit... until this. I wonder if the Bishop Vons carries Chambord for those Mimosas...

Dragger, if we pin Robbie down we can make him drink one, too... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hey there Moose, I've had absolutely no luck at all with that :P but maybe you will! Either way, I'm happy to bring the Chambord. :D :D :D

Meh... it starts with throwing him over my shoulder... Hmmm... time to break out the pickets...

I'm thinkin' skis, btw... :D

Nice! I've skied down from the saddle -- it's pretty mellow. but Dingus is right too, the couloir could be an avy nightmare if it's snowed recently. oh yeah, and i did have a yard sale on skis right in front of SP's "Keema," coming down, just for the record. :D

:lol: :D I'm planning on being there.

NewDayRising

by NewDayRising » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Anyone have room in their carpool? I'm in Roseville.

John :D

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:11 pm

If the Crescent Moon Couloir looks too sketchy (or there are too many n00bs in it, which seems likely :) ) then here are some nice nearby alternatives besides the West Ridge -

- The Sisters - right next to Round Top, class 2 at most
- Elephant's Back - near Winnemucca Lake, hike/snowshoe

Across the road, you can also check out these peaks -

- Red Lake Peak - some nice third class scrambling
- Little Round Top - a long & rolling ridgetop hike / snowshoe, 10 miles r/t from the Meiss Meadow sno-park

I've also done a loop from Frog Lake to Winnemucca Lake to Round Top Lake and back via Woods Lake, which is a nice outing. There are lots of fun alternatives in the area.

Yeah, you're not gonna get very far without skis or snowshoes. But depclimb ain't gonna get far with 'em either :twisted:

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:34 pm

And for the record, I never go up anywhere this time of year withOUT my avi transceiver, probe, and shovel. And the knowledge of how to use said equipment as well.

Being buried alive is perhaps one of the biggest fears I have.

Glad to see it mentioned here. There is another large group headed up the MR in April. Haven't seen a single mention of taking avi gear on that trip.

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:48 pm

The Crescent Moon Couloir is up to 45-55 degrees, depending on where you are and which fork you're in. It slants right, hence the name.

When you are climbing it, you need to remember not to climb straight up too fast, and to keep veering right. Otherwise you'll end up against the left wall of the couloir and face some sketchy downclimbing (ask me how I know this :) )

So if you do get swept by a slide, more than likely you are going to hit something on the way down. Hard. People have died in that couloir. Jim (aka mountainvoodoo) participated in a body recovery some years ago, as I recall.

How many people who practice with transceivers and shovels and probes do so on 45-55 degree terrain ? I wouldn't rely on possession of avy gear for safety of any kind in that couloir. Just sayin' :)

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:29 pm

rhyang wrote:
How many people who practice with transceivers and shovels and probes do so on 45-55 degree terrain ? I wouldn't rely on possession of avy gear for safety of any kind in that couloir. Just sayin' :)

Sorry, what? Maybe it's the blond streak, but I don't get what you're sayin' here...

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:57 pm

If I'm swept down the chute in an avi, even if I bounce and am killed on the rocks, I would certainly hope the climbers I'm with, after the situation has been deemed safe, would proceed in an attempt to find me through beacon signals. At the very least, in an attempt to recover my body. I still don't see what the "practicing on slopes of 45-55 degrees" has anything to do with it.

To me, avi gear is just something that goes with me, especially this time of year. The conditions I've seen lately, even on lower-angle terrain in my immediate area, has been somewhat disconcerting.

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:08 pm

Laura -- don't take it personally. I've been up that couloir and that mountain numerous times over the years and am just sharing some observations.

I think some people (not you personally) believe that possessing avy gear and rescue training somehow makes them safer on that kind of terrain. It does not.

I won't go up that thing unless the snow is stable. But that's just me :)

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:41 pm

rhyang wrote:Laura -- don't take it personally. I've been up that couloir and that mountain numerous times over the years and am just sharing some observations.

I think some people (not you personally) believe that possessing avy gear and rescue training somehow makes them safer on that kind of terrain. It does not.

I won't go up that thing unless the snow is stable. But that's just me :)

Not taking it personally at all, just not seeing the connection. To me, these are two different animals here.

Agreed: unstable snow means this moosie will find another route. Simply carrying the gear does not make one safer.

And for me, I've seen much more of the opposite: the "never going to happen to me" attitude so no gear is taken at all. Ever. I've not met too many people who have invested in the gear who have the sort of attitude you're describing. Obviously it exists out there if you've seen it.

<shrugs> Whatever. For me, I take the gear, I know how to use it. Even in "stable" conditions, the risk still exists. I'd rather be carrying the gear and not have to use it than run into a situation where I wish I had it. (kinda like leaving your axe and crampons back in the car on a few occasions this fall, right, Robbie?)

Dragger

by Dragger » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:08 am

http://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/advisory

I suggest checking the forecast and being prepared. That's what I do anyway.

rhyang

by rhyang » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:52 pm

MooseTracks wrote:Agreed: unstable snow means this moosie will find another route.

Music to my ears :)

As for the rest: yes, dear :lol:

Jeez, for a minute there I thought you might mention the time on Eichorn Pinnacle when I brought a 50m instead of a 60 .. now that would be embarrassing ! :mrgreen:

Craig Peer

by Craig Peer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:28 pm

Jeez, for a minute there I thought you might mention the time on Eichorn Pinnacle when I brought a 50m instead of a 60 .. now that would be embarrassing !

50 meter rope? HA - that's so '70's..........

ImageImageImage

rhyang

by rhyang » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:10 pm

Craig Peer wrote:ImageImageImage

I dig the sweet threads and haute coiffure, but alas must forego the 'fro in favor of the traditional headdress of the Llamatarians -

:mrgreen:

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:54 pm

Craig Peer wrote:
ImageImageImage

Wait... is that Rob in the first picture???

No, the one in front... :twisted: :twisted:

"What do you mean you want me to climb???"

<SWAK> Who luvs ya, baby? :roll: :shock: :D

PreviousNext

Return to California