6th Annual SP Summer Gathering in the Mighty San Juans

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:40 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
John Duffield wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:If I do go, I might just try to fly into a "nearby" airport and rent a vehicle.

Nearest one is Montrose?

Good question. I flew into Durango from Albuquerque years back, and I think that was a pretty expensive flight.

And by the time you dealt with airports, it took longer than driving.

Interesting thing about Montrose: I was looking at an Enterprise car rental agreement the other day. Part of the agreement is that you did not fly into Montrose within the last 2 days. I don't know why that would be a part of their rental agreement.

csmcgranahan

by csmcgranahan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:29 pm

mconnell wrote:
csmcgranahan wrote:I'd love to be there and finally meet some fellow SPers. Is there anyone who would be interested in carpooling from Colorado Springs?

I would consider traveling on Thursday night and climbing something additional on Friday before the gathering.

Possibly. Unfortunately, I won't know for sure until early June. If I were to leave on Thursday, it would probably have to be after I get off work at 10pm, which means rolling into Silverton around 4am.

I would also be open to doing a second day on Sunday and driving home Sunday evening.

Alan Ellis

by Alan Ellis » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:43 pm

mconnell wrote: Possibly. Unfortunately, I won't know for sure until early June. If I were to leave on Thursday, it would probably have to be after I get off work at 10pm, which means rolling into Silverton around 4am.

Mark, Hope you can make it!

BTW: After the gathering, there will be a few of us heading up Elk Creek for some Grenadier action if anyone is interested in joining us. More details later.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:07 pm

csmcgranahan: I will likely again bring my girlfriend Deb. We could possibly all carpool together...but you'd be stuck with two chicks (ewwwww! Girl germs!) and need to listen to country music the whole time (Toby Keith, Dwight Yoakum, Hank Jr., etc.)

Also, I'm an foul-tempered, spoiled old curmudgeon and I don't car camp (love backpacking; hate car camping), so we'll be stayin in a hotel/B&B. This could affect carpooling options...

Erin & Ellen: Count me in! My calendar's marked. I'll book a room shortly...

Alan Ellis

by Alan Ellis » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:56 pm

sarah.simon wrote:Also, I'm an foul-tempered, spoiled old curmudgeon......

Lucky thing she didn't list her BAD qualities. :)

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:11 pm

Original post updated! Sounds like it's going to be another awesome time! :D

Thanks chicagotransplant for that tidbit on Mt. Rhoda.

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:29 pm

Aaron Johnson wrote:Original post updated! Sounds like it's going to be another awesome time! :D

Thanks chicagotransplant for that tidbit on Mt. Rhoda.

Sure Thing!

Its way to early to tell, but if I can get an extended weekend by using some vacation days I would be very interested in some Weminuche backpacking to try and climb my remaining Centennials in the area (Jagged, Pigeon and Turret). We'll have to see if I can pull that off, and I may not know until June, but it would be nice 8)

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm

sarah.simon wrote:I will likely again bring my girlfriend Deb. We could possibly all carpool together...but you'd be stuck with two chicks (ewwwww! Girl germs!) and need to listen to country music the whole time (Toby Keith, Dwight Yoakum, Hank Jr., etc.)

Sounds good so far...
Also, I'm an foul-tempered, spoiled old curmudgeon

Still good.

and I don't car camp (love backpacking; hate car camping), so we'll be stayin in a hotel/B&B.

Oops. That's a deal breaker. I don't do hotels except as an absolute last resort (meaning that my wife is with me and she doesn't stay anywhere without a shower!) I'll sleep in my car at the side of the road before paying for a room just to sleep in.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:31 am

Alan Ellis wrote:
sarah.simon wrote:Also, I'm an foul-tempered, spoiled old curmudgeon......

Lucky thing she didn't list her BAD qualities. :)

Are you STILL bitter because we didn't use your photo in the 2010 Men of SummitPost Calendar? Geesh! :P

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:34 am

mconnell wrote:
sarah.simon wrote:
and I don't car camp (love backpacking; hate car camping), so we'll be stayin in a hotel/B&B.

Oops. That's a deal breaker. I don't do hotels except as an absolute last resort (meaning that my wife is with me and she doesn't stay anywhere without a shower!) I'll sleep in my car at the side of the road before paying for a room just to sleep in.

There's bound to be somebody else heading out to the gathering from COS. The San J's are a long way to drive alone...

Signed,

SOC (Spoiled Old Curmudgeon) :)

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:52 am

sarah.simon wrote:...listen to country music the whole time (Toby Keith, ...

I've got some Dixie Chicks CDs.

csmcgranahan

by csmcgranahan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:29 pm

mconnell wrote:
sarah.simon wrote:I will likely again bring my girlfriend Deb. We could possibly all carpool together...but you'd be stuck with two chicks (ewwwww! Girl germs!) and need to listen to country music the whole time (Toby Keith, Dwight Yoakum, Hank Jr., etc.)

Sounds good so far...
Also, I'm an foul-tempered, spoiled old curmudgeon

Still good.

I would prefer camping at or near the trailhead.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:15 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
sarah.simon wrote:...listen to country music the whole time (Toby Keith, ...

I've got some Dixie Chicks CDs.

Bite your tongue! :evil:

Anyhow, are you going to get off your MoapaPk-assets and come see us this year? I think you'll be shocked to find out how normal we all are in-person. Nice, but dreadfully "standard issue," I'm afraid. :?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:25 pm

sarah.simon wrote:Anyhow, are you going to get off your MoapaPk-assets and come see us this year? I think you'll be shocked to find out how normal we all are in-person. Nice, but dreadfully "standard issue," I'm afraid. :?

The transportation could be the big issue -- either an 800-mile drive each way, or expensive flights. I just got an invite for a trip in August, closer to Denver, where I can even car pool from Vegas... I think that will trump.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:38 pm

SP member Writhdar has contacted me with additional route information that may interest some participants of this year's event. These routes are extensions from the proposed route, for those of you wanting and able to bag more peaks. I can assure everyone this is a spectacular area that appeals to many interests and offers unmatched views, so these extra credit peaks will certainly be worth the effort if you wish to extend your day. One route goes over to Kendall Peak, another goes over to sketchy Little Giant Peak (Writhdar assures me it's a great route, but be sure to read up on this mountain HERE.

If there's enough interest, Writhdar will be glad to provide topos illustrating his routes and I'll post them in the original post in the update section.

PreviousNext

Return to Colorado