Gear you regret buying?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
MScholes

Gear you regret buying?

by MScholes » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:03 pm

Ever bought gear that you regreted either right away or after you used it on a pitch?

I've got tons of clothing that I don't think I've ever worn after purchase, a NF Denali fleece springs to mind.

Actual gear though, I think mine would be a Mammut Flash 10.5 rope. Not because it's a bad rope, but it weights a ton and I bought it to replace one of my aging ropes but it's just too big. Ended up buying another 9.5 so I have the 10.5 sitting around. Note to self, just because something is on sale doesn't mean you should buy it.

climbxclimb

by climbxclimb » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:05 pm

The Petzl Shunt....Useless...it has been hanging in my closet ...Too heavy and it does nothing more than a prusik cord can do....

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:47 pm

North Face Cats Meow bag. Had great reviews but just didn't work for me. Too narrow a temperature range. Now it hangs in my closet as a reminder of poor purchases and wasted money.

REI fleece jacket and pants. Used once and the bunched and gapped at my midsection and wear heavy and bulky. Now they reside at the bottom of my gear barrel, very seldom seen.

Tonka

by Tonka » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:28 pm

Note to self, just because something is on sale doesn't mean you should buy it.

I hear ya with this one. I was at a TJ Max last week and there was this short sleeved button-up Patiguchi. Retail on it was $80 and it was on sale at $20. I walked around with it for about twenty minutes and realized the only reason I had it was because of perceived value. I was never there to buy a shirt and didn't need it. I was proud when I put it back and only left with a small wall hanging for my bathroom I was not there to buy :D

My girlfriend bought me the Denali with a hood this winter. I didn't have the heart to tell her to return it and she did get a really good deal. Good for urban wear but the thing takes up more space than a sleeping bag and weights more.

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:11 pm

I continue to fine-tune my whole system.

I have been initially excited but then regretted versions of pretty much everything I own.

Apex

by Apex » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:07 pm

Some crappy MEC Fleece Pants, and shitty used climbing shoes... Other stuff I've managed to sell luckily...

But, if anyone doesn't want some of their unused or unwanted gear, I could possibly take it off of your hands for a very reasonable price :lol:
Last edited by Apex on Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

adventurer

by adventurer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:41 am

I regret buying my MSR XGK EX stove. It's a great stove, however, I much prefer using my MSR Reactor Stove so the XGK is very rarely used.

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:00 pm

Stoves... ugh. I currently have: MSR Whisperlite, Primus Gravity MF, MSR Reactor, and Primus EtaExpress.

I want: Primus Express Spider because it allows remote-inverted canister use in cold conditions. I think I'll jetison the EtaExpress because it's wobbly and the Gravity MF because it overlaps the Whisperlite too much in application while having a finicky fuel pump.

The Reactor is great in most conditions but I'd prefer something that I can use in a tent more safely (CO production on the Reactor is many many times higher than others) and that is not affected by cold (upright canister will always suffer in freezing temps).

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:08 pm

I do regret buying a set of BD stoppers. Though they are very good nuts, I am looking to replace them with a set of DMM wallnuts, which I think are much better in terms of versatility. Clothing wise, I did get a winter softshell from Haglöfs which I now only use in the city, as I have since gotten a rather extraordinary Rab vapour-rise jacket, much much more breathable and versatile.

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:08 pm

The primus express spider looks cool, but I'm trying to understand why it would be better than an MSR windpro, which is a bit lighter and works with the canister inverted. The fuel regulator / control knob on the windpro is also horizontal vs. the primus' vertical (trying to imagine working it with the canister upside down).

Ebay is great for selling stuff you no longer want. Old clothes and boots I donate to goodwill, and get a receipt for my taxes. Sometimes you can find scout troops or other organizations who will give you a receipt for donations too.

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:36 pm

The Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero Parka is overkill, at least for the Sierra Nevada. Its just too bulky and heavy. Even in 15 F, with wind and snow, it was still overkill. In the stuff sack, it is too big to make a good pillow. I'm hanging on to it in case I may one day go further north, but for the past year, it mostly stayed in the closet. For $300, it was not a good investment.

Hotoven

Re: Gear you regret buying?

by Hotoven » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:40 pm

MScholes wrote:
Actual gear though, I think mine would be a Mammut Flash 10.5 rope. Not because it's a bad rope, but it weights a ton and I bought it to replace one of my aging ropes but it's just too big. Ended up buying another 9.5 so I have the 10.5 sitting around. Note to self, just because something is on sale doesn't mean you should buy it.

Would you be interested in selling it? I'm looking to buy a heavy duty rope for top-ropping only, so weight doesn't matter to me.

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:51 pm

rhyang wrote:The primus express spider looks cool, but I'm trying to understand why it would be better than an MSR windpro, which is a bit lighter and works with the canister inverted. The fuel regulator / control knob on the windpro is also horizontal vs. the primus' vertical (trying to imagine working it with the canister upside down).
I wasn't aware the Windpro would work with inverted canister... That's good to hear (as the windpro is much more available). I wonder if REI will let me try it out in store?

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:02 pm

I've used the windpro snowcamping a couple of times in the inverted mode, but usually I just bring my MSR simmerlite instead.

The only reason I would use a canister-style stove for snowcamping is in case I might need to cook inside a tent or vestibule (appropriately ventilated of course). IMO white gas fuel bottles are easier to deal with than canisters.

BrunoM

by BrunoM » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:36 pm

Petzl William ball(auto)lock carabiner.

Just too sensitive to dirt and sand.

Went climbing this weekend and after one rappel with a muddy rope, it wouldn't autolock anymore.

Next

Return to Gear