Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Anyone been up Mount of the Holy Cross lately?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.

Anyone been up Mount of the Holy Cross lately?

Postby peladoboton » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:18 pm

So I am thinking about skinning up towards Mount of the Holy Cross early tomorrow to try my new skins out and see what my lungs can get done these days....

...anyone been up there lately?

...any dirt on the snowpack?
peladoboton

Postby mattpayne11 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:23 pm

Sounds like quite the adventure. I suspect that there will be ample snow. Avalanche danger is considerable in the Sawatch right now - be careful!
mattpayne11

Postby Kiefer » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Skinning Tigiwon Road right now is a great and long day out in its own right.
If you have aspirations for the mountain, plan on 2 days. Even on skis it can't be done in a single day right now. The snowpack back there in East Cross Creek is waist deep at minimum right now. Plus, the recent snow we've had in the last 3 days has been ample and wet.
Vail Mountain received 11 inches yesterday which means the HC Wilderness probably received an additional 3-6 on top of that.

Skin up to the Community House or beyond to the summer TH. That should be a good day.
Matt's right. Avy danger is sporadic right now.
Eagle County Avy Forecast
Kiefer

Postby peladoboton » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:11 am

thanks guys. i ended up on call and was without sleep for a couple days before coming out, and that combined with recovering still from some heavy training left me in no shape to be skinning 11K feet above the altitude where i've been living (what a nancy, i know...).

i'll be back in a couple weeks and hopefully a couloir route somewhere will be in good form (and myself also).
peladoboton

Return to Colorado