fix, replace or fuggedaboutit??

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:58 am

Can you replace the screw with a new one secure it with Loctite Removable Threadlocker?

no avatar
edl

by edl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:33 am

I think every crampon I've ever owned has had a single screw or pin holding it together. Never had one fail. The shear strength of that screw is probably higher than the shear strength of your ankle. :wink:

Metal fatigue is a bigger factor. Always check to make sure the screw is tight. Always carry a small repair kit with spare screws and a small screwdriver. And don't be afraid to replace if it it looks worn.

WouterB

Re: fix, replace or fuggedaboutit??

by WouterB » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:00 pm

MikeTX wrote:see that adjustment screw? it kinda gives me the willies. i mean, it's just one screw. if that thing shears, i'm going for a ride i won't soon forget. what do y'all think

My brand new grivel G12's don't have a screw, but just a pin that is held down by some kind of "spring" system. I wouldn't worry about a screw, especially if you can easily and cheaply replace it.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:47 pm

stefschuermans wrote:Search for a inox screw, they have more strenght than the iron zinqued one which is in it now.

If you would live in europe I would send you some (working in a metal factory)

Also, go for a screw with a bolted hexed nut, the tools you will need weight less ... And they have the same strength :-)

Inox - I believe that is what is called "stainless steel" here. It is stronger than ordinary steel, but not as strong as the nickel-chrome-molybdenum steel most crampons are made of. I knd of doubt that the screw used for the crampons is ordinary zinc-plated (galvanized) steel.

DukeJH

Re: fix, replace or fuggedaboutit??

by DukeJH » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:41 pm

WouterB wrote:
MikeTX wrote:see that adjustment screw? it kinda gives me the willies. i mean, it's just one screw. if that thing shears, i'm going for a ride i won't soon forget. what do y'all think

My brand new grivel G12's don't have a screw, but just a pin that is held down by some kind of "spring" system. I wouldn't worry about a screw, especially if you can easily and cheaply replace it.

+1. My older Grivel G12's have a single pin with a metal clip/spring that holds it in place. Nice to know I'm not the only Texan with crampons.

TheOrglingLlama

by TheOrglingLlama » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Now these would be really secure -

:mrgreen:

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:00 pm

TheOrglingLlama wrote:Now these would be really secure -

:mrgreen:

Just remeber to take off your boots before you get into the tent! :lol:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:19 pm

Frankly, I'd be more worried about losing the screw. I can't tell from the photo, so it isn't clear if the screw is in a threaded portion of the crampon metal, or if there is a lock-nut somewhere.

I have an "older" set of Stubai crampons that have a screw and a pin that fits through a hole behind the screw. I never had the screw loosen; but the crampons are essentially non-adjustable once you were out on a trip, unless you carry a toolkit and are dexterous when your fingers are cold. If your boots are very stiff, your "at home" adjustment is probably the only one you'll need.

However, I've adjusted my crampons in the field many times, when I was wearing less-stiff boots.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:43 pm

If you are going from TX directly to someplace with snow, and are worried about the fit of the crampons, try this:

Go to a park or someplace with grass turf, especially on a hillside (in TX). Put on the boots and crampons and walk around for a while. Turf usually exerts more pull than snow, so if the crampons don't pop off there, they are probably good for snow. This will also give you a chance to practice tying the straps, and process that can seem quite mystical at 13000'. And, you will convince your neighbors that you are insane.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:30 pm

squishy wrote:Dude you just gave me the best idea. I borrowed one of those lawn airators from a neighbor, the ones with the two hole punches that you stand on like a shovel. I sucked, took forever o do a small patch of lawn. I think I am just going to put the crampons on and start walking on my lawn...thanks...

I've done that! And yes, my neighbors definitely must think I'm nuts. :wink:

no avatar
marcdurant

by marcdurant » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:39 pm

<deleted>

I should have read page 2 before posting :oops:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:57 pm

squishy wrote:Dude you just gave me the best idea. I borrowed one of those lawn airators from a neighbor, the ones with the two hole punches that you stand on like a shovel. I sucked, took forever o do a small patch of lawn. I think I am just going to put the crampons on and start walking on my lawn...thanks...

That process won't remove any mass, so the holes will probably close up pretty quickly. I know some file-to-a-razor-point purists would disdain this approach, but MikeTX's crampons look like they have done some "mixed" climbing already.

And of course, the points get caked with mud.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:25 am

I use my old strap-on SMC crampons on my yard. It won't pull up any small divets but, by rocking back and forth when walking I get some good holes.

And more to the OP, the adjustment screw on mine hasn't budged in years and they were fully abused.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:53 pm

This attachment looks just like the attachment point of my old Charlet-Moser S-12s. I used the crap out of them and wore out 2 pairs. Never had the screw fall out or break.

Next

Return to Gear