solo glacier NP backcountry

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Saintgrizzly

by Saintgrizzly » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:14 pm

scottmitch wrote:ill say wow with the reaction here

when did i advocate shooting grizzly bears?

did i even advocate anything against park rules or illegal?

its legal to bring a gun in a NP so whats the problem

is self defense offensive?

tman & scottmitch...As others have pointed out, if you're afraid of bears (and it doesn't sound as though you are), probably best to go elsewhere. From spending more years in bear country than I care to remember, and reading more articles with differing viewpoints than I also care to remember, plus having bear encounters of my own, it seems to me the majority (actually a substantial majority) of folks familiar with bear country don't recommend guns (politicians and the NRA are not necessarily the best/wisest folks for information), but advocate bear spray, which is something to which I wholeheartedly agree—basically, bear spray, for many, many reasons is a better measure (as is making a LOT of noise). Not that guns never work (it's not a matter of "is self defense offensive," but rather what is the wisest course), but the odds are hugely against you—as well as the bear (a bear merely injured changes the immediate results, not to mention the aftermath, quite dramatically).... Plus, if you take a gun into the park, make sure you understand the laws pertaining to firing such; those laws differ greatly from state to state.

Anyway, bear presence in GNP is not overstated, and to repeat, if that is a real issue with you, probably other places will be easier on your nerves.

The places you've mentioned are wonderful (sort of an oxymoron to say that about this place!), but Kintla would be more isolated. If you investigate Gunsight, you may wish to cross Sperry Glacier—so make sure you know how to deal with that sort of terrain.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:46 pm

Amen to saintgrizzly. Check out his pages, those of Bob Sihler, Flathead Native, and others I'm forgetting. Have fun, it's a beautiful place.

no avatar
fsclimb

by fsclimb » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:34 pm

For a minute I thought I was on PnP there...

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:54 pm

This is why I loathe gun-freaks. They sicken me. I give it a few months before someone starts killing endangered animals now that these gun-humpers get to bring their loaded guns into our parks. Not to mention that it was one of the few places I could go that was relatively free of gunfire.

no avatar
Roam Around

by Roam Around » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Hole in the Wall is one of the primo campsites in GNP - it books up quickly, so apply for a permit NOW and if you can't make the logistics work out then call them up to change it.

But Browns Pass is also a great site. A few years back we camped at Kintla Lake and then Lake Francis (really sweet site) and were forced to forego a night at HIW due to bear activity there.

Last summer I spent a night at Lower Kintla and then Upper Kintla - you really can't go wrong in GNP - upper Kintla was pretty quiet.

That end of the park is pretty remote - the gravel road out there does get traffic, but planning to hitchike back from there might be dicey. And your well over 30 miles from the main area of the park out there. Catching a ride anywhere on Goin to the Sun road would be pretty easy i imagine though.

AndyJB444

by AndyJB444 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:36 pm

I enjoyed my GNP BC hike on the Nyack/Coal Creek loop.

rmick25

by rmick25 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:05 pm

I hiked the Gunsight pass trail to Sperry two summers ago and absolutely loved it.

I'm from MT originally and have been to Glacier a number of times and seen many a bear virtually every time. We hiked the G.pass trail around the middle of Aug. which is a prime time to spot bears. Yet we saw no bear or much sign they where around. I'm sure they were around but I would feel safe doing this hike solo. The first five miles or so is the only spot with alot of huckleberries and denser brush where you might worry about spooking one.

Side trips up Mt. Jackson and Comeau pass to Sperry Glacier is unforgetable and if you can swing it staying at the Sperry Chalet is pretty awsome. I had four helpings of a thanksgiving dinner the night I stayed there. IT WAS GREAT!

Whatever you do enjoy those glaciers while you still can!

scottmitch

by scottmitch » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:06 am

BobSmith wrote:

This is why I loathe gun-freaks. They sicken me. I give it a few months before someone starts killing endangered animals now that these gun-humpers get to bring their loaded guns into our parks. Not to mention that it was one of the few places I could go that was relatively free of gunfire.

stop your whining

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:31 pm

rebelgrizz wrote:You guys crack me up!!!! I'm certainly no expert but have hiked and climbed in GNP the past two years. Before we moved here I read every book about bears I could get my hands on and learned one really important thing....every bear is different and will react to people differently!! The best thing you can do is load up on BEAR SPRAY and make lots of NOISE as you hike....especially around WATER and BLIND CURVES in trails....I would only take a gun for some of the two-legged freaks you may encounter...trust me they are out there on the trails...I've seen 'em.

Yep. Generally there are between 80K and 100K non-fatal gun attacks in the USA every year. That's not counting the 30+thousand deaths from gunshot in the USA each year. How many bear attacks? A few dozen worldwide? With the choice between gunhumpers walking around armed in our National Parks and griz, I know who the bigger threat is.

no avatar
slowfoto

solo hiking

by slowfoto » Tue May 25, 2010 10:06 pm

although my grizzly encounters were from the bus in denali np, i have run into my share of bears. none have really been threatening, even when they came into camp overnight. a few years ago when i was in banff there were quotas on minimum group size due to grizzly bear activity. are there situations like that in GNP? those of you with more time spent in these areas might share whether or not you have found grizzly behavior in general much different that other bears with respect to humans. i am planning to be in GNP solo this summer and due to a knee injury hadn't intended go backpacking, but had planned to see a few areas by dayhiking, so your wisdom is appreciated. happy journeys.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Tue May 25, 2010 10:20 pm

BobSmith wrote:How many bear attacks? A few dozen worldwide?

The long-term average in North America is one human killed by bears a year, 2/3 of which are killed by polar bears.

Of course far more bears are killed by humans, if you're keeping score at home.

BobSmith wrote:With the choice between gunhumpers walking around armed in our National Parks and griz, I know who the bigger threat is.

Agreed. But in fairness, most of the gunslingers, like most of the bears, just want to be left alone.

Going back to the OP, I don't think anyone responded to the transportation issue. There are now bus lines up both sides of Going to the Sun road. So if you plan a route starting and ending there it should be easy.

I don't know of any options if you're starting/ending at places off GTTS Road.

no avatar
Chewy

Re: solo glacier NP backcountry

by Chewy » Wed May 26, 2010 6:03 pm

tman wrote:anyone have solo backcountry exp in GNP? Looking to go in july to gunsight pass trail/Sperry chalet and/or kintla lake to hole in wall/browns pass. possible iceberg lake, ptarmigan tunnel, etc.

looking for advice on getting to best BC campsites in park and as far as possible from crowds. did Kintla lake in 08 but not to HIW.
How difficult is it to leave vehicle at one trailhead and come out at another and get back to vehicle? is hitchhiking acceptable and do people pick you up? how do you arrange bus travel on GTS road between trailheads? show and go?

tips for solo travel anywhere in park?

Tman

Hi Tman. This thread is a little old so I imagine you've already filed for your hiking permits, hope you got the campsites you wanted.

I live in Whitefish and spend around 3 or 4 days a week in the park during the warm months. I absolutely love the place.

Usually hitchhiking around the park is not a problem during the main season. But sometimes you may have to wait a little longer than one would like. Even the north fork Flathead gets a fair amount of traffic. As others have said, the GTTS road has free shuttles to get you where you want to go.

As far as remoteness goes, my opinion is that the south end of the park sees the fewest people.

Probably half of my hikes/climbs are done solo. I see bears often but have never had a problem. Bear spray is all I feel I need. Just keep a clean camp and follow the other suggestions about makes noise and paying attention. In my 25 years of playing in Glacier the only animal to try and hurt me was a momma moose.

I hope you have a great trip.

PreviousNext

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)