Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Lazy Tourists and Helicopters on Everest

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Postby rhyang » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:42 pm

MikeTX wrote:
rhyang wrote:Speaking of terminology, I very occasionally climb with a friend of a friend who, when talking about some of his (mostly guided) alpine adventures refers to the following features -

- coo-yar (umm, that's couloir)
- bergstrand (I keep trying to convince him it's bergSCHRUND)

Nice guy, asset to the community and all that :)

most non-europeans have some trouble with those.

Not really. We have couloirs and bergschrunds here in California. There are glaciers on Shasta and in the Sierra Nevada. We have lots of mountain climbers here -- Andy Selters lives in Bishop.
rhyang

Postby rhyang » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:14 pm

Ah, yes .. texans and their quaint obscure dialects. One of my climbing buddies from the Republic of Tejas shows his colors every now and then :)

My point is that most decently experienced climbers I know pronounce 'couloir' and 'bergschrund' the same way. They want to avoid confusion -- it's about communication.

We also have a lot of europeans in the major CA population centers. If you go to a climbing gym in Silicon Valley you are likely to hear a lot of different languages being spoken.
rhyang

Re: Lazy Tourists and Helicopters on Everest

Postby Bob Sihler » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:19 pm

The Chief wrote:
gwave47 wrote:I have a supervisor right now that is just driving me crazy. I think my supervisor may be watching too much Bill O'Reilly.

So the possibility that your boss watches O'Reilly and that it drives you crazy, is what you are trying to really say here, right?

Welcome back, Chief!
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Lazy Tourists and Helicopters on Everest

Postby Arthur Digbee » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:49 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
The Chief wrote:
gwave47 wrote:I have a supervisor right now that is just driving me crazy. I think my supervisor may be watching too much Bill O'Reilly.

So the possibility that your boss watches O'Reilly and that it drives you crazy, is what you are trying to really say here, right?

Welcome back, Chief!

Yes, Chief, welcome back!
Arthur Digbee

Postby surgent » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:32 pm

Next time supervisor-man gives you trouble, have him figure out the pronunciation of "cwm".
surgent

Postby gwave47 » Sat May 01, 2010 2:47 am

dynamokiev98 wrote:This thread is funny. I have a friend who is convinced that he is genetically is great at altitude because he hiked Mt. Washington. He also thinks he could FOR SURE do Everest because Mt. Washington was rated in top 10 most dangerous mountains by some idiotic (in my opinion) list along with Everest. So it must be about equal in difficulty..

This is hillarious. And yes it is a trip living in S. Carolina. I've lived here my whole life but I travel very frequently. It is amazing how many people here never leave the state of SC though. Some people take all their vacations to "destination vacation spots" just 2 hours across the state. Outdoor sports here means bass fishing and buck hunting, nothing else.
gwave47

Postby gwave47 » Sat May 01, 2010 2:50 am

Supervisor has also told me that it does not take more than 24 hours to climb Denali or Everest because he looked up the speed record online. I told him that is not a typical climbing schedule and tried to explain how they spent time acclimatizing before descending and making a speed ascent. He said it didn't talk about that in the article, and that i'm making it up. He honestl believes these guys fly to Nepal, get off the plane, drive an hour to basecamp, and hike up in 18 hours or so, summit and come down. It's soo ridiculous it's funny sometimes.
gwave47

Postby dskoon » Sun May 02, 2010 1:00 am

gwave47 wrote:Supervisor has also told me that it does not take more than 24 hours to climb Denali or Everest because he looked up the speed record online. I told him that is not a typical climbing schedule and tried to explain how they spent time acclimatizing before descending and making a speed ascent. He said it didn't talk about that in the article, and that i'm making it up. He honestl believes these guys fly to Nepal, get off the plane, drive an hour to basecamp, and hike up in 18 hours or so, summit and come down. It's soo ridiculous it's funny sometimes.

Maybe he's just really good at pulling your chain. . . :)
dskoon

Previous

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander