Mt. Oglethorpe, Georgia - Page etiquette question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Bark Eater

Mt. Oglethorpe, Georgia - Page etiquette question

by Bark Eater » Mon May 10, 2010 8:16 pm

We enjoyed the summit of Mt. Oglethorpe (3288') this past Saturday. It was a spectacular day with the view to the south from the observation deck clear enough that we could pick out downtown Atlanta through binoculars...must be 60 miles or so away. This mountain has significant historical significance since it was originally the southern end of the Appalachian Trail. The AT was shortened to Springer Mtn. in the 1950s due to too much development to the south.

Given the historical significance, I was surprised to find no page on SummitPost for this mountain. Herein may lie the problem: the last quarter mile to the summit is marked
private by the utility companies and FAA who maintain towers on top. However, our local friends say it is completely acceptable to hike up and no ill will come of it.

I don't know enough about No. GA to competently create a page for this mountain. What's the etiquette? If a summit is private, one obviously would need to "officially" state that landowner permission is required. Beyond that, any problem with creating a page for a mountain in this category? Any southern Applachian experts want to give it a shot? I'd contribute a few photos.

nartreb

by nartreb » Mon May 10, 2010 9:14 pm

"marked private" isn't necessarily the same as "posted against trespassing". I have no idea what the situation is in Georgia, but in the Northeast there is a presumption that strangers can enter private land for certain purposes (e.g., hunting) unless the landowner places signs (at specified intervals, etc) stating otherwise.

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Tue May 11, 2010 12:10 am

Mt. Oglethorpe is a peak that really needs a page here at Summitpost. Until the 1950s it was the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail, but overdevelopment around the peak caused the route to be moved. It really should have a page here. You should make one.

Everyone I now says that it's okay to go to the summit, despite the fact that a family owns that portion of the mountain. Hikers climb it routinely.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue May 11, 2010 1:13 am

BobSmith wrote:Mt. Oglethorpe is a peak that really needs a page here at Summitpost. Until the 1950s it was the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail, but overdevelopment around the peak caused the route to be moved. It really should have a page here. You should make one.

Hey, Florida Frank, +1 on what Bob has to say. It would be great to have a page here on SP for Mt. Oglethorpe giving its historical significance relative to the AT, etc.

Also: I read that you worry you don't have enough knowledge of northern Georgia to build a page for Mt. Oglethorpe. SP members visiting other parts of their home countries and even the world regularly post pages for mountains outside of their "home territory." What's important is having first-hand knowledge of the peak, providing quality and informative content and excuting the page layout in a pleasant/easily digested fashion.

Besides - I hear a rumor that the SP member who built these pages lives nowhere near north GA...

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ntain.html
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ntain.html

...yet I think she managed to do a half-decent job conveying all that an SP member needs to know to visit and attempt a summit of these peaks. 8)

Sarah

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Tue May 11, 2010 5:18 pm

Thanks for your comments. OK, if no one else bites I'll try to put up a basic page this coming weekend. Hopefully some folks with better local knowledge can PM me for some additions.

surgent

by surgent » Tue May 11, 2010 6:30 pm

Add me to the chorus to create a page.

Regarding FAA sites: they're all over peaks in the west (I imagine everywhere), and I have yet to see one that restricts access to the whole mountain. Usually the signs look threatening, but never explicitly forbid hiking. Most are offset from the true summit anyway, and as long as you stay clear of the actual buildings, you should be fine. Personally I think I'm up to 6 or 7 "FAA" peaks on my list.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Wed May 12, 2010 11:16 pm

Alrighty, I put up a page. Hopefully the locals can give me some comments for improvement.
Let me know what you think: <a href="http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=620888">Mount Oglethorpe</a>

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)