What is a "blowdown?"

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Stevie0111

What is a "blowdown?"

by Stevie0111 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Stupid question, I know... I see people talking about trails and commenting how there are no blowdowns, or that they cleared all the blowdowns... What the heck is a blowdown???? Hahahaha...

-Steve

Stevie0111

by Stevie0111 » Sun May 16, 2010 7:12 pm

Gotcha!! Great, thanks!!

-Steve

EastcoastMike

by EastcoastMike » Mon May 17, 2010 3:07 am

Yeah, usually blowdown refers to an area where a storm did significant damage to a large area.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon May 17, 2010 3:08 pm

EastcoastMike wrote:Yeah, usually blowdown refers to an area where a storm did significant damage to a large area.

Never heard it used that way. Always heard it used to refer to a tree that has been blown down - typically one that is across the trail.

Another term that might be useful to know is "waterbar." It refers to an erosion control device that diverts water off of a trail, usually made of rocks dug in with a shallow ditch in front of them on the uphill side. It is not a place along the trail where you can buy bottled water.

kozman18

by kozman18 » Mon May 17, 2010 3:19 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:It is not a place along the trail where you can buy bottled water.

Don't make me explain the meaning of the word "trailhead."

Tonka

by Tonka » Mon May 17, 2010 3:41 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:
EastcoastMike wrote:Yeah, usually blowdown refers to an area where a storm did significant damage to a large area.

Never heard it used that way. Always heard it used to refer to a tree that has been blown down - typically one that is across the trail.

Another term that might be useful to know is "waterbar." It refers to an erosion control device that diverts water off of a trail, usually made of rocks dug in with a shallow ditch in front of them on the uphill side. It is not a place along the trail where you can buy bottled water.

I think Eastcoast is right. Here is a good example of a big blowdown. It happened in and around the BWCA on the 4th of July 1999. Over 600 square miles of downed timber. I was up there the following year and it was quite amazing.

I pasted a link below if you'd like more info.

http://www.ra.dnr.state.mn.us/bwca/

EastcoastMike

by EastcoastMike » Mon May 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:

I should have been more specific with my comment. In the ADK guidebook usually when they mention blowdown they are referring to a large area. I'm sure it can be used for both though! :)

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon May 17, 2010 5:07 pm

EastcoastMike wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:

I should have been more specific with my comment. In the ADK guidebook usually when they mention blowdown they are referring to a large area. I'm sure it can be used for both though! :)

Wasn't saying that it couldn't be used for that meaning, just that I've always heard it for the other. A guidebook would more likely use it as you have mentioned; I hear it (as a trail maintainer) for the other use - as in "There's a 14-inch blowdown on your trail."

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Wed May 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Ah. "blowdown". One of the most distasteful terms in the English language to outdoor adventurers after "spruce hole". :D

WalksWithBlackflies

by WalksWithBlackflies » Wed May 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Florida Frank wrote:Ah. "blowdown". One of the most distasteful terms in the English language to outdoor adventurers after "spruce hole". :D

In these here parts we call 'em "spruce traps", so as not to confuse with the dreaded "sod hole".

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)