Mont Blanc, Matterhorn & Eiger GPS waypoints

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
JesperMF

Mont Blanc, Matterhorn & Eiger GPS waypoints

by JesperMF » Sat May 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi everybody.
Me and a friend are going to climb Mont Blanc, Matterhorn and Eiger here in July. But I’m having a hard time finding some reliable GPS waypoints for the routes we are planning to do. So I’m hoping with all the mountaineering experience collected in here, that there would be someone who knows where I can find these, or maybe already have the waypoints themselves that they could post here?
The routes are as following:

Mont Blanc – 3 Mounts Traverse

Matterhorn – Hörnligrath

Eiger – Mittellegi Ridge

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Sat May 22, 2010 5:20 pm

better carry some more water or food than a GPS, it's really hard to loose the routes there :lol:
PS : no radars or speed meters on the routes :lol:

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

Re: Mont Blanc, Matterhorn & Eiger GPS waypoints

by Mihai Tanase » Sat May 22, 2010 5:22 pm

JesperMF wrote:Hi everybody.
Me and a friend are going to climb Mont Blanc, Matterhorn and Eiger here in July. But I’m having a hard time finding some reliable GPS waypoints for the routes we are planning to do. So I’m hoping with all the mountaineering experience collected in here, that there would be someone who knows where I can find these, or maybe already have the waypoints themselves that they could post here?
The routes are as following:

Mont Blanc – 3 Mounts Traverse
Matterhorn – Hörnligrath
Eiger – Mittellegi Ridge

The waypoints can not replace the experience of mountaineering. If you're enough experienced you don't need all this technology. It's just an opinion.
:roll:

JesperMF

by JesperMF » Sat May 22, 2010 7:52 pm

THANKS!

Your replies have been so helpful, what a great way to make new members fell welcome. :shock:

I agree, that no electronic gadget can replace actual mountaineering experience. But I like to have everything planned/prepared before I go on a trip. And for me that involves finding waypoints for the GPS. Maybe I’m not going to use them, but this I won’t know before I’m on the actual route.

battledome

by battledome » Sat May 22, 2010 8:08 pm

JesperMF wrote:THANKS!

Your replies have been so helpful, what a great way to make new members fell welcome. :shock:

I agree, that no electronic gadget can replace actual mountaineering experience. But I like to have everything planned/prepared before I go on a trip. And for me that involves finding waypoints for the GPS. Maybe I’m not going to use them, but this I won’t know before I’m on the actual route.

Don't mind them. I'm always amazed at the armchair mountaineers that are so willing to impugn the experience of people they haven't even met.

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Sat May 22, 2010 8:36 pm

JesperMF wrote:THANKS! Your replies have been so helpful, what a great way to make new members fell welcome. :shock:

Welcome. :) Now is better ? :roll:

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sat May 22, 2010 11:47 pm

JesperMF wrote:THANKS!

Jesper, I've also been looking for free GPS' maps and couldn't find any. Then do not forget printed maps, they're useful as the mountaineering experience that Mihai says.

¡Bienvenido a SP :!:

Moni

by Moni » Sun May 23, 2010 12:43 am

Having done 2 of the routes and a third of the first you mention, I can verify that for most part GPS is not necessarily very useful. On the Mittellegi it depends on which way you will descend, if GPS would have any use, as the western flank is confusing and in poor visibility (often the case) it might be helpful. The ridge itself is VERY straightforward, as is the Hörnli (follow the crowd...).

If you decide to input waypoints based on a Swiss topo, bear in mind that Swiss maps use Swiss grid (not UTM) and are based on the CH-1902 datum, not WGS 84, so you have to reset your GPS accordingly.

Since Swiss maps are copyrighted, you won't find much that is free and remotely useful. Swisstopo does sell software, but not sure if any of it is uploadable into a GPS unit.

========================

BTW, calling Gabriele an armchair mountaineer is totally unwarranted and absurd.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Tue May 25, 2010 12:22 am

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Sun May 30, 2010 12:50 pm

thanks Moni, but let him think what he likes :)

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Sun May 30, 2010 1:25 pm

Moni wrote:...BTW, calling Gabriele an armchair mountaineer is totally unwarranted and absurd.

When I write an answer on SP I am a proud armchair mountaineer. As Gabriele, you, Moni, Diego, The Chief, Damien,, etc, etc. :lol:

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sun May 30, 2010 4:38 pm

I still don't used my crampons on the sofa Mihai :wink:

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Sun May 30, 2010 5:12 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:I still don't used my crampons on the sofa Mihai :wink:
of course, your sofa's steepness is less than 20° :lol:

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Sun May 30, 2010 7:18 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:I still don't used my crampons on the sofa Mihai :wink:

I can teach a special technique if needed :lol: