Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Kaweah Basin Access

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Kaweah Basin Access

Postby HungarySagehen » Sun May 23, 2010 11:35 pm

Hey all
I've been working on an itinerary to get into Big Arroyo this July, and I was wondering if there is a way to cross over directly from BA into the Kaweah Basin on the eastern side of the Kaweah ridge? Anyone have experience in the area that might know of a way to get over and back?

Thanks
HungarySagehen

Postby El Cuervo » Mon May 24, 2010 12:14 am

Do you own the book "The high Sierra, Peaks, Passes and Trails" by R. J. Secor?

Given your interest, you owe it to yourself to get this book, now in a 3rd edition.

It will become one of your favorites.
El Cuervo

Postby Dave K » Mon May 24, 2010 6:57 pm

Several years ago we went in from the west via Pyra-Queen Col, a truly horrid crossing. The west side consists of several hundred feet of scree, steepening towards the top. It is under class 3, but with a full pack, it is unfun. The easier part is the east side, which consists of several hundred yards of talus-hopping. We exited the basin to the north, I believe, via a somewhat convoluted route that I don't remember very well. It's described in Secor's book, along with Pyra-Queen Col.

With that said, spending a few days at Kaweah Basin was well worth the effort getting there.
Dave K
Forum Moderator

Return to California